Thread: Fried two PCM in a row !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fried two PCM in a row !!!!!!!!!!!!!

my laptop is windows 8 and my hpuners ver is 2.24.250 since his update I have fried two PCM , for for holden commodore 2003 one for 2000 camaro ss .

in both cases after the tune when I start the car it wont start easily . when the engine start (with gas pedal) it misfires and the rpm wont go above 2000 rpm.

I have no idea what to do , please help me .

If the engine starts the PCM is not fried.
    You don't give enough information about what you changed to the tune and car mods.

Flash the stock tune and test it. If the problem goes away then the tune is bad
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    sounds like REP mode kicking in, post tune files and logs so people can investigate with detailed information.

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    Flash the stock tune and test it. If the problem goes away then the tune is bad
    That's way too logical.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

I don't have the stock tune , but I do have an old tune . I have flashed my old tune , but the camaro now wont start at all . I also used the new update 2.24.398 . I have attached both tune , old an the new I have only changed the idle air flow and some spark timing to prevent the engine from stalling.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Make sure your batteries charged before flashing the CPU's and try doing a "Write Entire". Might work or atleast worth a try.

good news , the camaro PCM is not fried .

this is what I did :
    1- I have used new computer with the latest editor update.
    2- I have downloaded a new tune from a friend I tuned his car before ( 2003 Holden commodore).
    3- I have wrote this tune in the camaro PCM.

and now the commodore is working fine (with the camaro PCM).

now the problem am facing is that when I use the camaro PCM with an old camaro tune (the camaro wont start)

conclusion : I think that I can not write a tune that I downloaded with ver 2.22 with the new editor 2.24
    or there is something wrong with the camaro engine harness that is effecting the writing process.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by s57_s2k View Post

conclusion : I think that I can not write a tune that I downloaded with ver 2.22 with the new editor 2.24
    or there is something wrong with the camaro engine harness that is effecting the writing process.
    The old files are forward compatible. That's not your issue unless the old file is somehow corrupt and HP is not catching it (less likely, but possible). I think you have a process/procedure problem causing the issue. Try and flash the PCM with a bench harness to rule out the car's systems.
    Jaime

Log everything for startup so you can see what's keeping it from starting. Also pull DTC's after attempting to start.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Senior Tuner
    If you're picking "Write Calibration Only"...nothing is fried.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

I have flashed the PCM using a bench harness , still there is no start. definitely the tune is corrupted . I guess I have to buy 2 credit to find out . I am going to download a tune from a camaro , then flashing it back into my PCM.

DTC:

[] P0405 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    [] P1336 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned (SES) (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    Attached Files Attached Files

P1336 suggest the requirement for CASE learn.

I have tuned a c5 z06 yesterday everything went fine , I didn't use my old tune (ver 2.22) . The problem shows when I modify an old tune (ver 2.22) with the new editor (ver 2.24) maybe this is a bug .

thank you for helping me . the car was fine with that code for along time . if you check my data log you will notice that the injectors are flooding the engine (on the start up the commanded A/F ratio is 3 !!!!!! ) which does not make any sense.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by koots View Post
    That would definitely cause a crank, but no-start issue everytime.

Start with that first and worry about the rest later.
    That's not true. You can have that and crank and run just fine.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by koots View Post
    Yeah, I used wrong words there, but I've seen it cause a no-start in 2 conditions, that I can think of.
    It'd be pretty hard to fix if it won't run...since a CASE learn requires a running engine.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by s57_s2k View Post
    thank you for helping me . the car was fine with that code for along time . if you check my data log you will notice that the injectors are flooding the engine (on the start up the commanded A/F ratio is 3 !!!!!! ) which does not make any sense.
    I have found out that it is ok for commanded A/F ratio to be 3 at the start up , I have compared it to another car . I also changed the tune . now I going to search for problems in the mechanical and electrical parts.

it was a fouled spark plugs caused by a "corrupted" tune I discuses in the first post (stall,backfire). so I changed both spark plugs and the tune (payed 2 credit)(a new tune with the same parameter as the previous tune).

now the car is fine , time to tune it