Thread: Tuning Injector Offsets for Lucas 42.5 Injectors

Tuning Injector Offsets for Lucas 42.5 Injectors

Just recently upgraded my VCM Suite from the old Serial cable interface to the new USB Interface with the new 2.24 software. I noticed in the VCM Editor under Engine/Fuel/General section there is an area for Injector Offsets---Offsets vs. Volts and Offsets vs. PW vs. MAP. In the VCM Scanner there is a Configure User Defined Parameter for Injector Duty Cycle.

Does anyone know how to set up a Histogram to scan this? I have searched for days to find Injector Offsets for Lucas 42.5 Injectors, and I can only find what various tuners have posted as their best guesses.

I have checked with Precision Turbo & Engine (where the 42.5 Injectors came from) and with ZZPerformance (where I purchased the Injectors)----no help.

Can anyone help?
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Senior Tuner
    Dam man, the first rule of buying injectors.. if they cant give you the supporting data for them, then you don't buy them. Your car came equipped with the 36lb injectors right? I would reinstall them, they are a quality injector, after having them bench tested to ensure you are getting even response and flow from all of them. You are not tuning cly by cly, you are tuning an average over the six,and knowing that all injectors are flowing the same rate is key one. Then you would install an adjustable FPR. Set rail pressure to 58lbs and you now have injectors delivering 42lb/hour and can use the defined parameters set out here for the LS1 users of the 36lb GTP injectors. Best "I" have for you bud...
    2000 Trans Am WS6

That's not a bad idea. I got those Lucas Injectors years ago when I purchased my S2 Intercooler from ZZPerformance---they were the "Recommended" Injectors at the time. What adjustable FPR do you recommend?
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Senior Tuner
    Check this one out bud, looks like the last one you would ever need.... also you can just Google "adjustable FPR's" and find one you like and will hit your desired range. This one will go from 20 to the moon, but just an example for you here:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/univer...-regulator-338
    2000 Trans Am WS6

OK---I installed the factory GTP 36 lb. injectors, and set the FPR to 58 psi. Should my Injector Flow Rate vs. KPA VAC be curved like the factory setting, or all set to 45 ???

I have read a lot of different opinions.

Senior Tuner
    Not sure there either bud. I would be setting it like stock, with curve. Should be able to get a response from the GTP guys here though on that one
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Well, believe it or not---I have been running the Lucas 42.5's ever since I installed the Intercooler with the Factory Fuel Pressure regulator----I could run 20 degrees of Timing with 0 KR, and I never maxed out the Injectors. (And no Fuel Pump rewire either!)
    Not sure about the FPR I put on today---its been on the shelf for years---I could probably be safe with the old Factory Regulator and the GTP 36 lb. Injectors---basically putting it back to stock fueling.

Senior Tuner
    Check this out, this should put the nail in the coffin... another Steck doc:

http://injectordynamics.com/articles...ure-explained/
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I know I should have known better!!!! I downloaded a MAF Error histogram from another post here, and loaded it into my Scanner to use---big mistake. The config worked, but when I looked at my Timing Histogram, it was only reporting about 1/2 of my actual timing. Nothing I tried corrected this---I even tried deleting the downloaded config. I found that it had affected my other Scanner configs, too. I finally had to remove VCMSuite from my laptop and reinstall it---now it works correctly. So word to the wise, be careful downloading histograms! Lesson learned after many frustrating hours!!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by coachcrow56 View Post
    I know I should have known better!!!! I downloaded a MAF Error histogram from another post here, and loaded it into my Scanner to use---big mistake. The config worked, but when I looked at my Timing Histogram, it was only reporting about 1/2 of my actual timing. Nothing I tried corrected this---I even tried deleting the downloaded config. I found that it had affected my other Scanner configs, too. I finally had to remove VCMSuite from my laptop and reinstall it---now it works correctly. So word to the wise, be careful downloading histograms! Lesson learned after many frustrating hours!!
    Did you ever get your injectors figured out? or did upping the pressure fix it?

I am trying to figure the same thing out for my 2004 and 2007 GTP. It's Unfortunate that the newer gen5 has a Returnless Fuel system running very low pressures. Either need to figure out these specs for these Lucas 42.5 # Pissers, or figure out a return system...

thanks