Thread: LQ9 w/ 4l60e swap - transmission issues

Potential Tuner

LQ9 w/ 4l60e swap - transmission issues

Ok guys need some help... Losing my mind with this one.

I completed a LQ9 and 4l60e swap into a 1960 Chevrolet Kingswood stationwagon. Car runs awesome, but I had some problems with the transmission. I will try to break it all down for you...

First, on maiden voyage... Trans shifted fine from 1st to 2nd, but just rev'd up in what should have been third.... Normally I would just say that the 3/4 clutch pak is gone.... But I have a few questions for you guys befor I go hank this thing out.

Next I disconnect the electrical connector from the transmission to put it in "limp mode"... Trans did the same thing.... Good first to second.... No third.

However... When I hook it up to HPTuners and shift it manually the shift selector states...
    1 when it is in 1 gear
    2 when it is in 2 gear
    --- when it is in 3 gear
    --- when it s in OD

Doesn't make sense to me... It's like the transmission does even see 3rd and 4th.

More details.... PRND selector connector is not hooked up on driver side of transmission... Didn't think it was needed for my swap. VSS seems to be working correctly, but willing to test it if you guys think I should. I'm lost guys... Really can't afford to spend anymore on this swap, but can't keep riding around in 2nd gear! Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Advanced Tuner
    you need the prnd connected to the pcm. your using a 411 pcm or newer?
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Potential Tuner
    PCM is from a 2003 silverado w/ 5.3 & 4l60e. Not sure what the 411 PCM is. I thought the PRND wiring was only for the dash indication of what gear is selected.

Advanced Tuner
    i know the ls1 411 pcm needs the PRND hookup for the 4l60e to work correctly so I would think the 2003 pcm would need to also
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85

Potential Tuner
    I will check the PCM number tonight and reply back.... Thanks. Any other tips / tricks/ suggestions will be appreciated