Thread: TBSS running lean after airbox mod... what settings to change?

Tuner in Training

TBSS running lean after airbox mod... what settings to change?

I have a 2007 TrailBlazer SS, and I modified the airbox to seal to the ramair hood that I bought. Now the truck it throwing lean codes, and is shifting hard like the MAF is confused. I am not sure which settings that I to change, I think it is the MAF frequency table.. but I am not 100% sure. Any help is appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes Start by correcting the MAF. Log STFTs and get it dialed in within 0-2% and should help out.
    https://www.facebook.com/tuningbyshanehinds
    [email protected]
    2009 G8 GT [email protected] 1.60 - Sold
    2008 A6 LS3 C6 Cammed [email protected] 1.44 Sold
    2013 CTSV wagon 9.21@151
    2015 C7Z bolt ons 10.0

Do you have any other modifications? Have you already tuned the vehicle? From the factory they run on the rich side and I'd be really surprised if that change alone got you to throw a lean code. You might have bumped something under the hood. Take a quick log with some normal and mid rpm driving, carefully check your PE target at low RPMs (<3500) with a WB if you have one.

I agree with Shane that you need to correct MAF table, but like I said I'm surprised it was a large enough delta to trigger a lean condition and cause shifting issues.

Tuner in Training
    Bone stock motor. 4" intake, LS7 MAF, ramair hood with airbox sealed to the opening in the hood. I did an e-mail tune from a company in North Carolina. Sent logs, and they modified the tune a couple of times. Was running great before I sealed the airbox to the hood opening.

Attached logs from last night.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    So, I watched the logs, and when the AFR went below 14, I looked at the MAF hz, and upped the engine > airflow > Airflow vs freq low and Airflow vs freq high from that hz up.... reflashed, and did it again. Not shifting hard anymore, but still throwing lean codes.

Quote Originally Posted by fcar1999ta View Post
    So, I watched the logs, and when the AFR went below 14, I looked at the MAF hz, and upped the engine > airflow > Airflow vs freq low and Airflow vs freq high from that hz up.... reflashed, and did it again. Not shifting hard anymore, but still throwing lean codes.
    Turn off VE
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

Woah, I took a look at your log and holy fucking KR. Do you have a wideband? What's your AFR while the car is pulling the 11.3 degrees of timing?!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by VodeAn View Post
    Woah, I took a look at your log and holy fucking KR. Do you have a wideband? What's your AFR while the car is pulling the 11.3 degrees of timing?!
    I don't have widebands. The AFR from the factory O2s is 14.6 until the MAF reads about 5.9Khz, then it drops to 12.3, so when the KR is sky hi, the AFR reading is at 14.6.

Tuner in Training
    I didn't modify anything other than using some HVAC sealing foam to fill any gaps around the airbox that would be pulling air from anywhere other than the ramair hood. As soon as that was done, the truck was angry.

Tuner in Training
    I decided to compare logs from before and after I sealed the airbox... results are interesting..

ENGINE SPEED, TRUCK SPEED, THROTTLE %, MAF AIRFLOW PER MIN, MAF FREQ

before airbox seal:
    5429rpm, 70mph, 83%, 48.985lbs, 8602hz
    5722rpm, 74mph, 83%, 47.928lbs, 8639hz
    2135rpm, 63mph, 36%, 5.773lbs, 4246hz
    max flow 50ish lbs

After airbox seal:
    5427rpm, 70mph, 83%, 31.798lbs, 7782hz
    5721rpm, 74mph, 83%, 33.296lbs, 7858hz
    2167rpm, 64mph, 36%, 3.530lbs, 3472hz
    max flow 35ish lbs

From what I can tell, I am getting less air now...

I could see that outcome being logical, unless the ram air makes up for the box being sealed (which it isn't according to your numbers) the engine is now breathing through a longer/smaller straw.

Did you have KR before the airbox seal? Remove the seal and do a log, I'd be really concerned about that KR.

It seems you may have increased the air quality at a critical expense of air quantity.
    Last edited by VodeAn; 01-05-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Nope, no KR before, or at least not much. I removed the foam from the front of the airbox, so it is now just the K&N heat shield in front of the filter. I will see how the truck reacts tomorrow.

Potential Tuner
    updates?