Thread: Old man Needs help picking best pcm to start with in turbo project

Potential Tuner

Old man Needs help picking best pcm to start with in turbo project

I am 70 years old and starting a project. I have a Fairmont Futura, a 5.3 ls truck motor, a 4l80e, a 76mm turbo, 89 mustang gt parts car and assorted other parts. The goal is to build a reliable street driven car that may see the track a couple times a year, run in the 10's and get 20+ mpg.

I have my HP tuner and I'm really confused about which pcm to start out with. I think a 0411 would be a good starting place, but I'm not sure if there is an operating system that would be preferred. Would it be better to start with a pcm from a 4l80e equipped car or does it matter. Why do some people pay for trans segment swaps and others just seem to toggle the correct switches in their pcm.

I am not new to cars, but I'm definitely a pilgrim in this tuner world LOL

thanx Bart

Advanced Tuner
    The 0411 is a capable choice for sure. With a multi bar custom OS to handle the boost, and a segment swap or custom harness to control the 4l80e. My only suggestion would be to start with an F-body base OS.

However, I personally do prefer some of the newest pcm's though. But thats just a personal preference.

Depends on what options you desire. Me personally the P01 (896 & 411 red/blue) is hands down the best if you don't need flex fuel support. The 12212156 Fbody OS is compatible with any transmission (except newer 6Lxx) and supports 1/2/3 bar with RTT but also retains full VE resolution on 2bar (5kpa increment load points all the way up) and 3bar (5kpa increment load points for NA region and 10kpa in boost). There are multiple ways to manipulate fuel and timing with different triggers within the PCM for more options for whatever you desire.

An alternate option if you need flex fuel support is a newer P59 (green/blue) PCM's. They came out in some 03 trucks and all 04-up cars and trucks. This is what most people refer to the 1MB PCM. It has alternate timing tables, flex fuel support similar to the newer Gen4 ECM's. Very good option if you are wanting to street drive the car and run a mixture of E85 and 93oct. I'm personally moving most standalone stuff to this option just because E85 is available in more locations in my area now and flex fuel is the new big hit for power adder cars.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

If you really want a nice setup, an E38 with a T42 for the trans is the way to go. The standard 0411 is a good choice though just because they're easy to come by and simple.

I will take new gen stuff any day of the week. That said, RTT on the older stuff is sooooooooo freaking nice.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    If you really want a nice setup, an E38 with a T42 for the trans is the way to go. The standard 0411 is a good choice though just because they're easy to come by and simple.

I will take new gen stuff any day of the week. That said, RTT on the older stuff is sooooooooo freaking nice.
    Yeah but for old man its perfect because its simple and easy..