Thread: 09 Sierra tuning

09 Sierra tuning

Looking to get feedback not a hand out just pointed in the right direction.

I'm not an expert or anywhere close to it. I'm a long time beginner. After getting frustrated with previous attempts at tuning. This time I'm really wanting to go through with it.
    I bought an 09 Sierra with 5.3 and 6 speed trans
    I put the Air aid MIT tube with dry filter and a maganflow muffler. Long tubes will come early next year.

So far I have done the following.
    Adjusted the MAF for the tube (still need to mess with it some more)
    Copied over the high octane spark table to the low octane table
    Adjusted tire size

I do feel a little better throttle response but it is an absolute pig under 2000 rpm

What should be my next step
    I hear or read everybody say "add timing and add fuel".
    Im guessing the high and low spark tables are the ones that take care of timing?
    What table takes care of the fuel?
    Is something like adding 3% to 5% fuel "safe way to do it?

Also what do the colors in the tables mean. Im guessing red is not good and Blue is good?

Excuse all the questions and the "im guessing" but i really want to learn this tuning.

Thanks
    2009 GMC Sierra All Terrain Z71

I wouldnt add fuel, that won't be the thing to help this issue.

I'm no real expert here but I think my idea of whats going on is close to correct. The computer has set points as to when it will allow the power to be put down. Like for going into what many call PE mode, as is giving it the beans.

I know that in one of the fuel tables (PE) there are a few things that can be changed to make the power come on quicker.

I think its set to something like 55 or 70 kpa of MAP pressure and or 5000 rpms with a delay, I think. I'd leave the stock KPA number but change the RPM at which it will let it happen to say 0 or 1000, I'd have to look at your trucks file to tell you what you should change. There is also a ramp in rate that is set really low at .5 (its goes from 0-2), you'd want that set at 2.0 so it happens as quick as possible. You can change the throttle % from 87% to something like 50-60% throttle so it happens quicker aswell.

There can many other things that you can do to help, messing with the transmission can help alot aswell for feel and slightly reducing torque managment can help.

I did these things aswell as many other smaller changes to a 2011 silverado and it woke it up tons and made it feel not so sluggish and slow as lower rpms/speeds.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    on the Sierra I believe you have a Variable cam spark, that is added to your main high and low spark tables. take that into consideration.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner
    Go into FUEL - POWER ENRICH - Enrichment Ramp In. Change to 2.0
    PE Delay, change to 0

That will help taking off from a stop, and give you smoother accelleration.

I hope you run premium all the time with timing tables like that.

X2 PE delay removal makes a big difference.

Ill get in my tune and change those things up.
    Im understanding the why and thats exactly what i want to happen.

I also disabled DOD.
    How advantageous is getting rid of all those parts?
    Is it worth the money spent on it?
    Last edited by mcm1209; 12-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.

DOD can be disable via the tune( but not sure if ur car actually have DOD) ,, I think u mean VVT which if u want to delete you can via replacing mechanical parts ..but for ur mods I will keep it ..
    I will do what other suggested above ,,, PE DELAY =0. Enrichment rate = 2 or 1.5 ...plat with it and see for ur self ..
    specialize in: V8 Conversion & Tuning (UAE- DUBAI)
    supercharge installation
    Salah clutches for Nissan, Toyota and GM car

Tuner
    I've driven several trucks with VVT and they feel like they have an extra 50hp compared to those without. I'd keep the VVT.

How did the fueling changes work out for you?

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't set the enrichment rate to 2.0... I've experienced on fairly stock vehicles that an enrichment rate that high can cause a rich spike when going into PE. I usually set N/A applications to around 1.3

Made the changes suggested and did feel a difference.
    I still feel like my accelerator pedal is not connected to the engine LOL
    It is much better just need to fine tune it.
    Ill make the change to 1.3 and see what that does. I don.t have a lot of WOT moments and don't plan on racing.
    I did have a WOT moment though. I was leaving a store and took off then noticed i had to merge pretty quick. I know i was in 2nd gear and about 20 MPH or so. I put the pedal to the floor and it just steadily revved up. I really needed it to downshift but it didn't. What can i look at to see a difference in that type of scenario?

I have a LS2 cam out of an 08 TBSS that is just laying there and was thinking about slapping in while doing the VVT delete.
    Looks like parts are about $600

Have you checked your electronic throttle opening rates? Airflow>Electronic Throttle>Opening Rates. Should all be set to 100. My first three values in 1st gear were factory set at 1-4-8. When I changed them to 100 it made a big difference when I stomp on it from a stop.
    2012 Colorado 5.3
    Magnum 70mm turbo
    RevMax 2800 stall converter
    DevilsOwn meth

Ill check that tonyvette.
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    have you dealt with your TQ management tables yet? that will hinder you in 1st and 2nd forsure.

I went into the engine TM tables and 1st through 6th gear tables i multiplied by 1.5.
    Am i correct in saying that took away 50% TM?

Tuner
    BTW, you have a 2009.. VVT was not implemented into the 5.3L until 2010. Are you confusing VVT for DOD?

Quote Originally Posted by mcm1209 View Post
    I went into the engine TM tables and 1st through 6th gear tables i multiplied by 1.5.
    Am i correct in saying that took away 50% TM?
    All you need to do.is look at the.numbers if there half less of what they were you were succesful.

You need to.look into your trans tables if you want some.more responsivness out of it
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

Quote Originally Posted by Spartus View Post
    BTW, you have a 2009.. VVT was not implemented into the 5.3L until 2010. Are you confusing VVT for DOD?
    Yes i guess i was.
    I meant DOD (displacement on demand)?

Quote Originally Posted by GXPLS4 View Post
    All you need to do.is look at the.numbers if there half less of what they were you were succesful.

You need to.look into your trans tables if you want some.more responsivness out of it
    The numbers went up 50%.
    For example table is as follows

Engine speed 500 600 700
    Max Tourque 85 89 103

That's just a few numbers
    I took 85 and multiplied it by 1.5 so that brought it up to 127.
    The way I'm thinking is that at 500 rpm its putting down 85 lb TQ right?
    If i add 50% to that number im in a sense reducing the TM by 50% by making the 85 into a 127 right?

Am I in the ball park with my thinking or am I way out in the parking lot??

Truck when from a standstill leaves awesome and not even going full throttle!
    What im noticing is when i goes to shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd it takes a while for it to get back up to rpms.
    Im going to re flash with the following changes
    Tip in tqmgt = none
    flare tqmgt = none
    limit tqmgt = none
    Halfed cold multiplier