Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Order

Tuning Order

I've been reading this forum for a couple of months now, then purchased HP Tuners. It seems that the more I read the more confused I get (information overload). Is there an order to tune in? Maybe IFR tables? What parameters should I be looking at to be sure it's not running lean (stft's?, O2's?). I have a fresh build and I don't want any issues with it.
    2012 ZL1 automatic, CAI intake,

Hi Buddy,
    If you haven't already done so,
    1. Update your FUEL INJECTOR SIZE table if you have aftermarket injectors installed.
    2. Adjust your TORQUE MANAGEMENT to zero.
    3. Adjust IDLE for better driveability.
    Once you have saved these changes then upload the file to your car. Start car and see how she idles. If the idle fluctuates, hunts, is hard to start or is otherwise unsteady then
    4. Adjust base idle airflow.
    5. Adjust startup airflow if the startup is difficult.
    6. Adjust idle spark advance.
    But if your idle is fine after step 3 then start to do a scan log of the car at WOT.
    That's what I always start of with.

Cheers,

TJ PERFORMANCE
    2014 HSV GEN F R8 SV Enhanced (LS3 340KW)
    6 Spd Manual
    Tuned @ 281RWKW/629Nm with OTR and 100cell CATS only.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a try in the next day or to.

Thanks again

Just make sure when you do a scan log in WOT that you have a wideband connected.

TJ PERFORMANCE
    6 Spd Manual

That'll be my next item to install. Any preference to which wide band to use?

Thanks again.

Got no particular preference on which wideband, I was using a LM1 recently but switched to a Dynojet wideband.

TJ PERFORMANCE
    6 Spd Manual

Tuner
    If the engine isn't stock I would not go WOT before part throttle tuning. Search on google for "ve tuning guide" for the steps in VE and MAF tuning. Just make sure your injector data is 100% correct before moving on. I use the AEM UEGO and seems to work good for me. Mine read .1 leaner than what the dyno was reading which had their O2 placed in the tail pipe.

Just take your time and read a lot. After a while it'll start making some sense.
    Last edited by danieloneil01; 12-24-2013 at 04:18 AM.

I've searched injector data for days and get a lot of different IFR's. So I took a leap of faith and used one to get me started. Who's data do I trust? Does Bosch list this data? I've been looking VE and MAF tuning, sort of confusing. Are there easy formulas for these?

Thanks for helping a Potential Tuner.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgwrnch View Post
    I've searched injector data for days and get a lot of different IFR's. So I took a leap of faith and used one to get me started. Who's data do I trust? Does Bosch list this data? I've been looking VE and MAF tuning, sort of confusing. Are there easy formulas for these?

Thanks for helping a Potential Tuner.
    Sorry to tell you this but that shit is ran by the Cartels. The only way to get that info is to buy Mr. Cartel's dvd. Easy formulas as in what?

http://michigansnowmobiler.com/hptun...ons%20rev2.pdf
    Last edited by danieloneil01; 12-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.

This looks like the information I need. I don't have a wide band yet, but it is Christmas morning. Can I change the settings in the instructions and safely start the engine? I also did not purchase the "Pro" version of HP Tuner, will this be a problem?

Merry Christmas and thanks again.

Senior Tuner
    I'd say

1) Know your fuel pressure and make sure it's consistent

2) Represent the injectors - try looking for repository tunes
    that use the same, validate #s w/ spreadsheet (Marcin's)
    at your fuel pressure

3) Spend your time scanning before you think of more tuning

4) Chase accuracy in air mass until you get delivered AFR
    matching commanded (given that injectors are trued
    up as best you can, and bearing in mind certain regions
    will never read true with a big cam

5) Change commanded AFR (PE, EQ vs ECT vs MAP) to
    "common wisdom"

6) Adjust timing to what it will take, at your "normal air"
    and use temperature adder tables to accommodate
    environmental excursions

7) Idle? You want a long term hobby, there's one.

A Papa bull and baby bull were standing up on the hill in this pasture overlooking a herd of cows.

The baby bull says, “Dad, Dad let’s run down there and f*ck one of those cows!!!”

The father bull pauses and says, “No Son, let’s WALK down and f*ck them ALL.

Be the Papa bull when tuning. It's something you do with finesse, not a 10lb sledge. Massage the tune.
    Validate your wideband by using VCM controls to push the fuel rich and lean, making sure your display matches your HPT scanner reading from end to end.
    I like to pressure check intake systems to prove there are no leaks prior. Nothing worse than tuning on a bad foundation.
    If it has methanol injection, I have a system for testing and calibrating that as well. My opinion is that there are a ton of smart tuners out there, but I'm disappointed by how few are willing to take the time to do it right. Drivability is the hardest to get right and that's almost always where they suffer. I understand it I just don't agree with it. For what shops charge for tuning, it's not enough to grind out an issue for 10 hours when they could be charging 100/hr for wrench work instead.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

Wow, I think I'm following most of this, (I love the analogy) although sometimes I feel like the cow, I guess it's time to grow some *alls and do this! I do have a couple of questions. First, to pressurize the intake system, I would imagine I would have to back off all the rocker arms to close the valves and regulate 20 PSI or so into one of the manifold ports. Then I would have to have a shut off valve and a gauge to monitor pressure drop, Is this close? Second, since I'm new and don't have "common wisdom" yet, I'm guessing that you are referring to AFR for the region I live in and what is correct for my engine combo, is this correct?

Thanks for all your responses as they are being read and logged in my thick scull.

Potential Tuner
    Any one has a file S D file for a 408 7 pounds of boost 600 lift ported gm ls1 heads. The car cranks lights and dies instanly

Potential Tuner
    the motor is in a 68 camaro no smog

Quote Originally Posted by gjones2171 View Post
    Any one has a file S D file for a 408 7 pounds of boost 600 lift ported gm ls1 heads. The car cranks lights and dies instanly
    I can help. PM sent.
    Hsquared racing engines RHS 427, Procharger F2, Moran Billet Atomizer injectors, Alky Control,Mast LS7 heads, Nitrous outlet kit,Tilton quad disc clutch, DSS shaft, RKT56 ZR1 trans, RPM Quaife diff. Built and tuned by yours truly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! If there was a guild to teach or tell you what needs to be done without spending thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGMC08 View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! If there was a guild to teach or tell you what needs to be done without spending thousands.
    There is....MANY guides out there. Greg Banish DVD's for a few hundred bucks (best), books for under $40, and this forum which can teach you anything and everything you want to know about tuning. Just have to want to learn it and you will.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGMC08 View Post

Here is a good guide. http://www.ls1.com/forums/f9/visual-...ptuners-49483/

There is alot of good info out there.

Thank you smokestack for being helpful!!
    Can you tell me if the link I posted if it would be worth getting??

http://drmz.net/LaSota/catalog.html