Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E38 Speedometer ouput

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    How about major updates, like when, for example, you make a 2010 LS3 Camaro start perfectly after flashing,
    or adding this: "I have added a new parameter to the speedo section called “Speed Output Type”, try setting this to “VehSerial”. This parameter is used by the ECM hardware driver to initialize the output correctly."

I know what your saying all of the changes, and small changes is a full time job... but major things like this seem like they should be called out somewhere... like in a Sticky somewhere..

I personally check for an update once a week just because I was one that received a "fix" for improved start up after flashing... and unless I scoured the forums every day I never would have known it existed.
    Where do you look for these updates, other than just scouring the forum?
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We build a new software update virtually every day so what was new yesterday likely isn't new today. In all honesty table adds like these are so miscellaneous theres really not much of a reason to note them in our software as 99.9% of our customers will never need to change them and even less even HAVE these tables in their calibration.

If you have a moment please take a moment to take our newest poll http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...s-the-question
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    I think the issue is with the E38 and reduced pin count it can only have one output (serial, reptos or wheel speed) and the hardware driver needs to setup the TPU channels for the RepTOS and wheel speed mode when the PCM initializes. I still don't know why they have two calibrations that seem to do the same thing though... The E67 doesn't have this limitation and uses the vehicle speed output as the calibration switch. Anyway, finally glad I found the culprit!
    Well, got my Z06 running. The ECM is using an auto calibration and there's a GM TCM reporting to it. No codes, vehicle speed displays in the scanner, trans shifts properly, but my dash speedo is dead. I thought the ECM reported directly to the cluster without intervention from the BCM, but I wonder now if the cluster itself is different between auto and manual. I'm going to try going back to using the diff signal and changing the ECM settings to hopefully get my dash speedo back.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Well, got my Z06 running. The ECM is using an auto calibration and there's a GM TCM reporting to it. No codes, vehicle speed displays in the scanner, trans shifts properly, but my dash speedo is dead. I thought the ECM reported directly to the cluster without intervention from the BCM, but I wonder now if the cluster itself is different between auto and manual. I'm going to try going back to using the diff signal and changing the ECM settings to hopefully get my dash speedo back.
    Try this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

It's already set like that and doesn't work. I think I have to configure it like a manual.

Edit: Actually for whatever reason, the file IN my ECM has Vehicle Speed Output set to RepTOS (I had set it to this a while ago when I thought I'd use the RepTOS signal from the TCM) and the Speed Output Type to Serial. Auto C6 files have these both set to serial, but as mentioned, I changed the Vehicle Speed Output before the Speed Output Type parameter was added. I went back and edited the file on my laptop, but apparently never updated the ECM. Too bad I can't test it since something in fourth gear let go on the 4L80E after ten miles while cruising.
    Last edited by DSteck; 03-18-2014 at 02:55 PM.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    I'm having a similar problem with speed output for the E38. I transplanted an L76 /w 6L80E into a holden commodore VY and am having problems getting the speedo to read correctly. I had some back & forth with HPtuners support, but their suggestions didn't work.

Basically, if I have the speedo reading correct in VCM Scanner ... then the speedo in the car reads low. Ie. doing 120 km/hr, but speedo is reading 35 km/hr. I've tried all sorts of combinations in the speedo menu and nothing seems to fix it. If I drop the "VSS tire revs per" -> "Dist" to about half (original 477, changed to 220) my car's speedo comes up and reads pretty much correct. However, the speedo in VCM Scanner is now reading very high and resulting in poor shifts and engine almost stalling as the car is downshifting much too late.

All other fields I've modified don't seem to do anything or simply make it worse. Is it not possible to modify ONLY the output speedo signal and leave the signal in VCM Scanner where it is?

Please see attachment

Untitled-1.jpg
    Last edited by luciv6; 04-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luciv6 View Post
    I'm having a similar problem with speed output for the E38. I transplanted an L76 /w 6L80E into a holden commodore VY and am having problems getting the speedo to read correctly. I had some back & forth with HPtuners support, but their suggestions didn't work.

Basically, if I have the speedo reading correct in VCM Scanner ... then the speedo in the car reads low. Ie. doing 120 km/hr, but speedo is reading 35 km/hr. I've tried all sorts of combinations in the speedo menu and nothing seems to fix it. If I drop the "VSS tire revs per" -> "Dist" to about half (original 477, changed to 220) my car's speedo comes up and reads pretty much correct. However, the speedo in VCM Scanner is now reading very high and resulting in poor shifts and engine almost stalling as the car is downshifting much too late.

All other fields I've modified don't seem to do anything or simply make it worse. Is it not possible to modify ONLY the output speedo signal and leave the signal in VCM Scanner where it is?

Please see attachment

Untitled-1.jpg

Try using the settings I posted in post #45 and see how it works.

Tuner in Training
    Serial and VehSerial creates no signal for me. My gauges don't run of Class 2 serial.

Is there no way to output a different signal on this wire from what the ECM see's? I believe my instrument cluster speedo is configured slightly differently so needs a modification in the tire rotations per kilometer. But modifying this also modifies the ECM speedo.
    Last edited by luciv6; 04-14-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Serial and VehSerial creates no signal for me. My gauges don't run of Class 2 serial.

Is there no way to output a different signal on this wire from what the ECM see's? I believe my instrument cluster speedo is configured slightly differently so needs a modification in the tire rotations per kilometer. But modifying this also modifies the ECM speedo.

Did you figure this out?

Potential Tuner
    Question: When I download my '06 Z06 (using a friend's HPT V 3.4.89) and look at the Speedo section (right after download) I see a lot of information under 'Hardware' about speedo serial / vehserial, ppm, etc while the MPVI is connected to the vehicle. But if I close the file and reopen it with the MPVI connected to the computer but not connected to the vehicle all that 'Hardware' information is not visible. Is this a function that requires connection to the vehicle? I'm working also on a street rod w 6.2 / 4L60 and read a LOT about problems with speedo operation. I'm considering converting to HPT but I want to understand what I'm seeing. (I've used 'the other tuning s/w' for several years and it seems to me the other guys are not tackling this issue.)

Tuner
    dig up.

I just did swapped 5.3 (A4 PCM and TCM but use 4L80E instead 4L60E) form 2007 Tahoe 4x4 and working to use stock 1996 Impala SS speedo. Do i get this right that i use PIN 57 on X1 connector and run directly to speedo to get signal, and then in HPT i set:
    Hardwere: VehSerial (and adjust values if needed)
    Vehicle Speed Sensor: Serial (and adjust values if needed)
    Wheel Speed Sensor: Disabled (not useing and wheel speed senor and not useing ABS too). ?

best regards

Potential Tuner

Please see attachment

Untitled-1.jpg
    Hey mate,
    Did you get this sorted? I have the same issue, I put a L77/6l80 into a VZ and I've adjusted the ratio's to match my car so now the speedo reads correct in vcm scanner but it was originally a long way out, but I've reduced the PPK on the dash through tech II to 3000 which is the minimum, it doesn't permit a lower number, it's only 10km out now at 60. The only thing I've noticed is that on the VZ I have that is factory E38 6L there is an extra setting on HP Tuners that I don't have on the VF E38 that looks like it will help me fix this issue, photo's attached. Otherwise may have to go down the jaycar module path which I was trying to avoid, would prefer to change a parameter to fix it.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_att View Post
    Hey mate,
    Did you get this sorted? I have the same issue, I put a L77/6l80 into a VZ and I've adjusted the ratio's to match my car so now the speedo reads correct in vcm scanner but it was originally a long way out, but I've reduced the PPK on the dash through tech II to 3000 which is the minimum, it doesn't permit a lower number, it's only 10km out now at 60. The only thing I've noticed is that on the VZ I have that is factory E38 6L there is an extra setting on HP Tuners that I don't have on the VF E38 that looks like it will help me fix this issue, photo's attached. Otherwise may have to go down the jaycar module path which I was trying to avoid, would prefer to change a parameter to fix it.

Thanks
    So is it not possible to get the PCM output calibration to be adjustable in the newer OS as per attached images?