Thread: 02 LS1 411 PCM in 99 S10 Speedometer works until key off then doesn't work??????

02 LS1 411 PCM in 99 S10 Speedometer works until key off then doesn't work??????

I'm helping someone with a 2002 camaro LS1/4L60E swap into a 99 S-10 extreme. The 411 PCM used came from an 02 camaro. I used HP tuners to kill the VATS and after the flash everything worked fine until the truck was switched off. When you restart it the speedometer and cruise stop working. With a scanner connected VSS always shows the correct speed. I did a write entire and it works until you turn it off and restart the truck. We switched the pcm with another one from an 00 camaro and the truck works correctly.

Any ideas what would cause this??

If you unplug the battery for a few mins, the speedo works again or not?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rumnarv View Post
    I'm helping someone with a 2002 camaro LS1/4L60E swap into a 99 S-10 extreme. The 411 PCM used came from an 02 camaro. I used HP tuners to kill the VATS and after the flash everything worked fine until the truck was switched off. When you restart it the speedometer and cruise stop working. With a scanner connected VSS always shows the correct speed. I did a write entire and it works until you turn it off and restart the truck. We switched the pcm with another one from an 00 camaro and the truck works correctly.

Any ideas what would cause this??
    Post your cal and I will look at it

Quote Originally Posted by CalEditor@pcmcalibrators View Post
    Post your cal and I will look at it
    Awesome!JosephS10.hpt

That tune has a lot of issues.
    You need to use a 2001 or 02 4.3L tune for an S10 and then go back and make it a LS1

I can do it for you, but I have 4 tunes to knock out currently. I still have a CTS-V tune to build with an 4L80. If you can give me over the holidays I can get you a tune that will work correctly

You need to use a 2001 or 02 4.3L tune for an S10 and then go back and make it a LS1

I can do it for you, but I have 4 tunes to knock out currently. I still have a CTS-V tune to build with an 4L80. If you can give me over the holidays I can get you a tune that will work correctly
    That would be awesome. Thanks for your help!

I am curious why you say to use a 01 or 02 S10 tune, and change it over to LS1? Does it have something to do with the os? I have an older s10 (94) that has the 01 Silverado ECM in it. I was told to use this from my harness builder. I am new to tuning, and just trying to learn.

In 2002 you will find the same OS used in a Corvette, full size truck and the S10 series. This takes the OS out of the picture. The calibration has 7 additional segments.
    Engine
    Engine Diag
    Trans
    Trans Diag
    Fuel System
    System
    Speedo

Lets skip the first 2 for now

In 2002 all of the Trans and Trans Diag segments were built from the same template except the 2002 Flex Fuel calibration
    This means that they all will interchange. I would use the S10 trans segments and then rework it fro the engine swap
    The Fuel System Segment contains information about the FUEL TANK and the EVAP System. This is a no brainer. You use the S10 fuel system segment
    The System Segment contains the Fan Settings, AC Settings, Instrument Cluster Settings, VTD Settings, Alternator Settings, Vehicle Platform and Powertrain Type Settings, and Real Time Dampening Settings. I would us the S10 segment. HPT currently offers enough parameters that will allow you to alter this for the V8
    The Speedo Segment has a few lines of code and it would be easiest to use the S10 Speedo Segment.

The Engine and Engine Diag Segments should stay together for easy of tuning. I would start with the segments for the engine used in the swap. The Engine Daig segment has more that just the DTC's in it. This is a very important segment to have correct. HPT has a limited amount of parameters. I found that the 2002 S10 knock sensors are the LS2 type and that the Engine Diag Segment contains settings that must be changed to make the 1 wire knock sensors. Yes you can make it work without making the 2 or 3 settings, but it will take an additional 5 changes trying to get around the missing settings. The good news is that HPT is adding the needed setting currently

Try the attached file. If it ask you to license it do not. It would mean that I have made an error. This may or may not require a write entire, so I would do the write entire.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CalEditor@pcmcalibrators; 01-14-2014 at 06:18 AM.

This is the 2002 S10 file I used. You can do a little compare with it
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is the 2002 S10 file I used. You can do a little compare with it
    Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll load it up and let you know how it goes.

Thanks Again!

Advanced Tuner
    Try the attached file. If it ask you to license it do not. It would mean that I have made an error. This may or may not require q write entire, so I would do the write entire.
    Mmm interesting! I'm trying to help a friend get his speedo working on a 2004 Colorado with a V8 swap, he is using a 2002 Camaro PCM, and has no speedo. I bet it is set up similarly to the Colorado? Maybe you can helps us get it working. Other people including myself have got the speedo working using a 05-06 E40 PCM from a trailblazer. Not sure if you can use the speedo segment from one of them or the stock P12 PCM from the Colorado, and install that into the P01. Otherwise I have a feeling the speedo settings from the P59 PCM (2004 trailblazer 5.3L) will also work. Any help would be a appreciated!

The 2004 Colorado cluster's speedo and Tach signals come in on a serial data line (Class II). The Trailblazer and Camaro have a hardwired Speedo and Tach. I am able set the speedo to Class II on the 2002 Camaro.

Advanced Tuner
    Oh nice! I imagine I can't do that with HP tuners! I don't see a tab in HP tuners for the earlier PCMs, the newer ones you can switch between reptos, serial etc.. I can I change it to serial? Thanks again for your help!

Tuner
    So your saying you can do an engine segment swap?

I recently did my 2002 S10 to a Vortec V8 swap. I used a 2002 Express file as a donor, but HPT had to do a trans segment swap from 80 to 60e. But I lost some functionality like shift indicator and my auto door locks do not work right.

In 2002 you will find the same OS used in a Corvette, full size truck and the S10 series. This takes the OS out of the picture. The calibration has 7 additional segments.
    Engine
    Engine Diag
    Trans
    Trans Diag
    Fuel System
    System
    Speedo

Lets skip the first 2 for now

In 2002 all of the Trans and Trans Diag segments were built from the same template except the 2002 Flex Fuel calibration
    This means that they all will interchange. I would use the S10 trans segments and then rework it fro the engine swap
    The Fuel System Segment contains information about the FUEL TANK and the EVAP System. This is a no brainer. You use the S10 fuel system segment
    The System Segment contains the Fan Settings, AC Settings, Instrument Cluster Settings, VTD Settings, Alternator Settings, Vehicle Platform and Powertrain Type Settings, and Real Time Dampening Settings. I would us the S10 segment. HPT currently offers enough parameters that will allow you to alter this for the V8
    The Speedo Segment has a few lines of code and it would be easiest to use the S10 Speedo Segment.

The Engine and Engine Diag Segments should stay together for easy of tuning. I would start with the segments for the engine used in the swap. The Engine Daig segment has more that just the DTC's in it. This is a very important segment to have correct. HPT has a limited amount of parameters. I found that the 2002 S10 knock sensors are the LS2 type and that the Engine Diag Segment contains settings that must be changed to make the 1 wire knock sensors. Yes you can make it work without making the 2 or 3 settings, but it will take an additional 5 changes trying to get around the missing settings. The good news is that HPT is adding the needed setting currently
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
    So your saying you can do an engine segment swap?

I recently did my 2002 S10 to a Vortec V8 swap. I used a 2002 Express file as a donor, but HPT had to do a trans segment swap from 80 to 60e. But I lost some functionality like shift indicator and my auto door locks do not work right.
    You do not want to do a segment swap most of the time. It is not the golden answer. You need to modify an S10 calibration. They run the same OS.

Advanced Tuner
    You do not want to do a segment swap most of the time. It is not the golden answer. You need to modify an S10 calibration. They run the same OS.
    Yes but correct me if I am wrong, the S10 uses reptos What ever that means? and is fed to the cluster via its own speed signal? On the Colorado al gauge functions are sent via class 2 serial data.

I found a "Boolean aka Switch" in the code to switch it to Class II serial data

Advanced Tuner
    I found a "Boolean aka Switch" in the code to switch it to Class II serial data
    Nice you rock! That's way over my head! Would you be able to switch it for my buddies truck? How would we go about it and how much would you charge? Can you work with his file in np tuners format?