Thread: Tuning my 2012 camaro with TVS2300 Magnacharger

Tuning my 2012 camaro with TVS2300 Magnacharger

I'm wanting to tune my Camaro myself, but I am new to tuning. I have the Magnacharger already, a ZR1 MAP, and a 3.6 pulley for it. My car is an M6. It won't have headers at first, just a cat delete. I am wondering if it would be best to start with another tune from a supercharged car. There is a tune for a 2010 with a TVS2300 (SLP) in the repository. I am thinking of using the compare function to copy the tables from. I would prefer if my first foray into tuning wasn't a blower car, but I bought the HPTuners software with intention of a mail order tune to start. I have the Pro version, and an Autometer wideband already mounted in the car with the boost gauge. I've been reading all I can. Just looking for opinions on my starting point.
    2012 Camaro SS/RS M6. TVS2300 w/rear OD cog drive and ported lower manifold, On top of a forged 416.
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500. Stock 6.0L, LT headers, cat delete, and Airaid intake.
    1965 Oldmobile Cutlass. 5.7L LS1/4L60E transplant in progress from 98 TransAm donor car.

I wouldn't copy somebody else's tune. You have no idea whether or not it's completely wrong.

Read the forum and learn to do it yourself, and do it right. The immediate basics will be injector data, entering the MAP sensor data, editing PE settings appropriately for a boosted vehicle, and dialing in the MAF. Focus on one thing at a time.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Yeah, I thought so. I was just hoping to start with something a little closer to what I would need. The referenced tune is just the stock tune on the SLP ZL575 car, which was a off-the-lot car (with the same canned tune they include with their TVS2300). I also have a stock 2010 Magnacharger tune. Just trying to get a start in the right direction, as I won't be installing the blower until Xmas week. I won't be tuning for every last bit of HP, and am going to try to stay on the safe side with fueling and advance. I just hate to cough up over $100 for a mail order tune just to have a starting point, but it is my first car that I will be tuning myself. Since I have the magnacharger, they just use ZR1 injectors, so I should be good there. MAP sensor data is readily available since the ZR1 MAP is a very common addition to the Magnacharger. I'm just a little intimidated since I don't seem to be finding as much info on tuning a blown LS3.
    2012 Camaro SS/RS M6. TVS2300 w/rear OD cog drive and ported lower manifold, On top of a forged 416.
    1965 Oldmobile Cutlass. 5.7L LS1/4L60E transplant in progress from 98 TransAm donor car.

you can start with mine, either the Whipple supplied tune, or my 2bar upgraded modified Whipple tune, but it would only work if the injectors were the same... and it's a 2010 so not sure if there are differences. Let me know. Mine is a 2010 M6 stock engine whipple kit, with modified whipple base tune (I had to build VE tables).
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Thanks. I have a 2010 Magnacharger supplied tune, it might be closer. I have the ZR1 MAP which is a 3 bar sensor (I see you have one also, but you have a 2bar modified tune?). I know if I start with the Magnacharger tune, the injector data would be there for the 52 lb ZR1 injectors they use. I am thinking of going MAF only to start out. I know the Magnacharger tune has a tendency to be on the safe (rich) side of fueling, so that's why I thought of starting there, but I also read they just Band-Aid the tune with the PE tables and let it ride. I appreciate any help.

If you have the magacharger stock tune with your injectors, definitely use that!! I have the custom 2.5bar OS upgrade so I have a traditional VE table. But i still run PE fuel even though I fine tuned the MAF and run 100% MAF.. I can run VE also since I fine tuned them as well.

You may notice PE delay and lean condition if you smack the throttle open at higher RPM if your boost spikes fast like it does with a Whipple... If so reduce your Throttle Opening Rate to 5 (five), from 100. If 2012 is like 2010 you wont notice a difference.

You may also want to change PE entry to TPS based and not MAP based since the MAP seems slow to respond (only noticeable on M6 cars) causing lean moment during WOT shifting...
    GM factory ZR1 and ZL1 (or something supercharged) have something like 30kpa for MAP and 25%TPS for PE entry so whats that tell ya.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to wait on the VE table tuning at first, since I'm not really wanting jump neck deep into that right away. I'm just hoping I can dial in the MAF and PE tables without messing them up. We will actually end up with similar boost numbers, as I will be at 8-9 PSI with my smaller pulley, but yours should be coming in a little lower in the RMP range, so I appreciate your input! I just keep reading that the SLP tunes and the Magnacharger tunes are just pure crap. The tip on the PE entry change to TPS will also be helpful, as I do have an M6 car. I probably wont run WOT until I get the car on the dyno, just because i'm new to this, even though I do have a wideband.

The Whipple tune was pretty good but they had the IAT calibration off, it always read 15f lower than actual... Nobody could explain that but I know mine is not the only one... Just the first to notice it... Couple other whipple people looked at theirs during cold start and noticed the same thing...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    If you have the magacharger stock tune with your injectors, definitely use that!! I have the custom 2.5bar OS upgrade so I have a traditional VE table. But i still run PE fuel even though I fine tuned the MAF and run 100% MAF.. I can run VE also since I fine tuned them as well.

You may notice PE delay and lean condition if you smack the throttle open at higher RPM if your boost spikes fast like it does with a Whipple... If so reduce your Throttle Opening Rate to 5 (five), from 100. If 2012 is like 2010 you wont notice a difference.

You may also want to change PE entry to TPS based and not MAP based since the MAP seems slow to respond (only noticeable on M6 cars) causing lean moment during WOT shifting...
    GM factory ZR1 and ZL1 (or something supercharged) have something like 30kpa for MAP and 25%TPS for PE entry so whats that tell ya.
    Magnacharger tunes like to leave the MAF freq. curve stock and just adjust the injector flow rate to get in the ball park then some WOT PE work. A much better option would be to copy the injectors data from a CTS-V, ZL1, or ZR1 Corvette because Magnuson uses LSA/LS9 fuel injectors