Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006 LSJ Tune Verification

Tuner in Training
    Maf vs output freq, thats your maf table, 7500 and up is your wot cells

Tuner in Training
    Still stuck up on getting my wideband to read accurately.

Anyone know of a way to get the wideband to stay at 10.0 and then 16.0 so I can measure accurate volts output?
    It seems that it is off.

Tuner in Training
    just set it up close and get an even a/f ratio then hand smooth it

Tuner in Training
    I feel like a half-tard. I had my wideband set up right in HPT but I never programed the unit itself. Set it to read the 10 - 16 like the output calls for and it works now. Making the table and going to copy and paste. How long should I log in that table before copy and pasting the results to my tune?

Tuner in Training
    Okay working the tune now.

Question:

Tuning MAF

I have values from MAF Error % in the scanner.
    They are positive and range from .3 to 8 thru the table.
    When I copy them to the Output Frequency Table in the tune I should be doing paste special > multiply by % correct?

Tuner in Training
    yup

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. Been logging and pasting all day. Couple cells want to play funky but the hand smooth helps. Have a bunch of them between -1 and -.1 now. Probably try and finish getting them dialed in tomorrow then move onto the VE table. Will probably have more questions in the next couple days lol. Definitely over the weekend as I want to throw in my 80's and drop to the 2.9 pulley.

Also, once everything is dialed in, do you revert back all of the disable changes made to tune for VE and MAF? COT, piston protection, open loop, etc.?

Tuner in Training
    leave pp disabled, but the rest yeah

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    If your under 1.5 your good. Atmospheric changes can swing your results 2% from day to day. I'd call your spot now good if those are your newest results.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. I will leave my low end alone then. I am going to try and get my high end done today as it is a little off still. Above 7.2 I am still skewed. Once that is smooth I will shut it off and work on the VE then. Thank you guys for all of the help.

==========

Also, I have done some reading and made changes based on that reading.

Under PE
    I changed the Ramp In from 0.0020 to 1.0000 for faster response
    I lowered the delay from 4800rpm to 3000rpm

Under Idle
    Lowered idle to 800rpm above 176 degrees in neutral and in gear.

==========
    Also,

Under supercharger
    I noticed that all of the values for first gear boost are 200%. If I make a change it will not revert back to 200%, only 100%. To lower the boost in first gear would I set the desired reduction, say 50%, at the given RPMs and then ramp it up to 100% across the board? Or is something wrong with my table that it wont let my input 200% like all of the stock stage 2 tunes are.
    Last edited by SlobaltSS; 01-23-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Tuner in Training
    So far i have dialed in the MAF calibration (airflow vs frequency) and have all of the values pretty consistent between -1 and -.3. The curve is very smooth as well.

I have since moved on to tuning the VE table and have some questions on it. They are as follows:

When it comes to smoothing it by hand, I cannot drag values on the table like I could with the calibration table; is that normal?
    Should I be using the "smooth between" options instead?
    Some of my values are off over 20%, is this normal?

Screenshots:

just letting you know your doing it backwards.

you always tune the ve first. it is the default fuel map. when everything fails or is force shut off the ecu runs this table. it is also the base value for fuel required in calculations including the maf sensor. the maf sensor adds a quicker responding density calculation to the equation which helps fine tune the fuel required.

always always always turn every modifier off and disable the maf circuit. once you have done that you can tune the ve.

re-enable the maf circuit and calibrate it until it is within acceptable parameters.
    any short duration oddities to the fuel trims after ve and maf are done are called transient fueling errors. they are taken care of by using the multipliers you have disabled and left disabled until now. use the multiplier tables to get it really roped in. after that that is unfortunately all you can do for these cars so you leave it alone and just go about standard equipment monitoring (ex: watch afr for error swings, timing kr control, boost spike errors....)

so now that you done it backwards do it the right way so you dont have to do it an infinite amount of times later down the road.

PS: if you tuned your maf for wot and you disable pe like your supposed to for ve calibration then getting in the higher rpm range can throw that maf off you just made for pe as well. i mention this so you can keep a close eye on afr when you go back to pe tuning after your ve correction. if doing a pull dont rape it to the end of the rpm range if the afr is over 11.9. stop your pull at that lean limit and make a pe correction in the editor and start again. about 65% of the people not following that step blow a cylinder out prematurely (usually the one at the opposite side of the injector rail feed line entry point, it naturally runs leaner on larger injector swaps without fuel system modification).
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 01-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Shit. The guide I read made it seem that you calibrate the MAF then tune the VE table.

So just to clarify:

Since my MAF is currently turned off, I can continue tuning the VE table. However, I currently have the PE table on, I need to shut it off and tune the VE correct?

Then I should turn off the VE, turn on the MAF and calibrate.

Then I should turn them both on, reenable the PE, and see where it is all at?

I never shut the PE table off when I was tuning MAF or VE because the original guide I read only told me to dial it in (which I did to 11.5 AFR, 3000RPM enable, 88% TPS, 1.0000 ramp in).

======================
    Dumbed down for me:

1. Disable dfco
    2. Disable LTFT
    3. Disable STFT
    4. Address the open loop table
    5. Disable COT & Disable piston protection
    6. Dialing in your power enrich table
    7. Disable PE table
    8. Disable MAF
    9. Tune the VE table

After VE is tuned

1. Turn off VE table
    2. Turn on MAF
    3. Calibrate MAF

After MAF tune

1. MAF on
    2. VE on
    3. PE on
    4. Reenable dfco
    5. Reenable LTFT
    6. Reenable STFT

Is that the correct flow?
    Last edited by SlobaltSS; 01-24-2014 at 04:15 PM.

tune ve:
    Disable defco, cat overtemp, piston protection
    Disable fuel trims and force open loop by disabling closed loop parameters
    Disable PE
    Fail maf and disable its codes and tests
    neutralize all fuel multiplier tables like iat and ect multipliers
    now tune ve

perform injector calibration check:
    once your ve table is as close to zero as possible save that file in a secial place you will need to keep going back to it.
    save as a new file and change all the ve cells by 1.10 multiplier. this will add 10% fuel to the table.
    run it and record data. your fuel trims should now be removing 10% fuel from any cell that gets hit.
    if its not and its over the allowed range shift of +/-1% then you need to adjust the the fuel injector settings(usually the voltage offset multiplier tables)

once your 10 percent shift nets you an acceptable ranged -10 trim result you are done veriying the injector tables. at this point your usually starting to notice a smooth running idle and transition between sectors of the ve table.

Perform maf calibration:
    re-enable the maf by setting maf hz fail to max limit
    re-enable all maf codes and test
    set closed loop data back to factory settings
    re-enable fuel trims

tune maf sensor to 0 trims within +/- 1.5% as stated many times prior to your start of learning date atmospheric changes can cause swings of 2% or slightly more so anything around the stated range is good.

pe tuning:
    enable pe parameters starting at 80% tps and 2800 rpm
    set pe eq ratio table to desired afr. use the excell file i added to the lsj tuning threads first post if you have to.
    do not exceed 11.7 afr if you have factory internals. even with aftermarket internals i dont recommend exceeding that value unless you are monitoring an egt bank (egt probe in every cylinder) if you monitor egt do not let it exceed 1200* for drag and 1100 for auto x. if you want to lear more about egt study the diesel posts, i learned the most about internal limits there since they study egt readings like hawks hunting prey.

once your pe parameters and target afr are set then you can make a run. monitor the afr gauge and if it exceeds 11.7 and gets to 11.9 stop your pull immediately. read the log and find the spots that aren't at the commanded afr value. best to use excell and set your commanded afr by rpmthen set another similar section that shows the average afr plots per rpm from your scan. have excell perform an afr error calculation then apply it to your tune. wher you last had a lean spot and stopped to make a correction for safety its is safe to assume the next rpm range is going to be lean as well so for the maf cells after the last highest rpm correction just apply the same correction to the cells you expect to hit in the next run as you exceed the rpm range of your revious pull.

example: you make a run to 4800 rpm and notice as you hit 5k you were exceeding max range and logged a lean spike to 12.1 afr. just for example here we will say that at the 5k rpm spot you hit maf cell 30,250 hz. if your target afr is 11.7 and you have 12.1 scanned then your afr error is 3.42%. go to 30,250 hz and multiply by 1.0342 to make your correction. now if 4800 rpm landed at 30,000 hz and it was fine then you leave it alone. so now your correction should safely get you to the next rpm. now to get your run to go further in rpm safely you make a prediction correction. if you needed more fuel at 5k then you will need even more fuel at 5250 and 5500 so if the next two maf hz cells are 30,500 and 30,750 take your 3.42% correction and aply it to those cells as well. this will add more fuel to those cells so when you end up hitting them the car wont go as lean and allowing you to safely plot more valuable data in fewer ammounts of pulls. quicker you get it all dialed in the less you stress the components out.

now your pe is all done time to finalize the tune.
    Full enablement:
    re-enable defco (the fuel cut out values are preset so you dont tune with this feature on it is already setup)
    re-enable piston protection to an rpm value about 100 less than your rev limiter (most people set their limiters 200 rpm over their shift so they dont bump the limiter and lose power for missing the shift by a hare of a second.
    re-enable your ve multipliers as needed. monitor iat, baro, and ect to determine which one is effecting your trims the most at the point of error and make a correction to the proper available table.

after a year of monitoring (cold season and warm season) its safe to say your tune is fully locked down for your setup. continue monitoring sensor data for irregularities that can point to wear, damage, or overlooked corrections.

good luck thats everything in short description.