Thread: 07 Cadillac STS 4.6 Northstar

Potential Tuner

Question 07 Cadillac STS 4.6 Northstar

Hello everybody,
    I have Cadillac STS 07 4x4 with 4.6L Northstar engine, changed cold air intake and Gibson SS exhaust. I'm looking for way how to get some extra hp and improve response/behaviour of the car.

So far I have done more functional modifications like increasing top-speed limit, decrease RPM when air-condition turns off and switch transmission into sport-shifting mode for all the time.

Now I would like to go deeper and add some extra hp and make shifting faster but I'm not comfortable with "blind" modifications (I don't feel so skilled in this.) So I tried to make some research around web. Unfortunately there is nothing about STS Northstar ECU modification and Google brought me back to this forum to PGA2B's topic about STS-V. I went through "tune" which is posted there and I know that I can't compare or use it for my "tune". However, I'm curious about "non-engine" modification - especially about different values in transmission part and if it's safe to use them.

Can you please share some experience/tips how to increase hp on this engine? At the same time I will be thankful for any tips how to improve overall performance.

Thanks and have a nice day

I'm including my actual tune:
    CadillacSTS - po uprave.hpt
    ..and original:
    CadillacSTS.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Anybody?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    didnt know it was support, let me see the file...
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    didnt know it was support, let me see the file...
    Thanks for watch. Did you find something interesting?

Very rudimentary shift feel can be modified in the Inertia Factor Upshift table. It contains values 1-9 with 1 being softest and 9 being firmest. You can add a couple of points to area's that the shift feels too soft. Also you could increase the shift pressure levels a bit (say 5-10%) and max pressure to 290 psi to firm up the shifts. The A6 is a complicated tranny based on several interacting shift time tables and torque based values and requires a lot of knowledge or you can end up with more trouble than power.

As far as HP, you will have to install a wideband so you can zero in the WOT Air, Fuel and Spark. You can go the "e-mail tune" route but I just don't think they are a safe way to go nor a huge bang for the buck. Normal area's to adjust are the IAT/ECT timing adjustment tables. Shift the table from 95 to say 122 IAT and cut the ECT 212 column in half.

Provide a few logs and maybe someone can recommend some area's of improvement.

In an Auto, tranny tuning will most times provide the most "seat of the pants" increase.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 02-15-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]