Thread: Programer tuned

Potential Tuner

Programer tuned

Can a vehicle with lets say a trifecta tune for example be downloaded into a HP Tuner and then be put into another identical vehicle? Or is there some type of lock on a situation like this? Just curious, never encountered it and would like to know.

depends weather the programmer has locked it or not, would need to see if you can read it from the original car to answer your question.
    No matter what the question is, the answer is always MORE HORSEPOWER!!

Trifecta tunes cannot be read and saved with HPTuners. Vince uses his own custom OS with his tunes. He offered a 'layer' tune with HPT for the LNF turbo 4 cyl before HPT had all the tables, but that one was special. You would load his base file, then read it and make HPT edits.

TF and HPT tie the tunes to the ECU ESN & OS (ect) so one tune cannot be loaded on to another. With HPT you can use credits to license and write another ECU but it is never a good idea to write a tune from one vehicle to another, even if they are identical. Each tune needs to be unique.

TF writes a tune for your ECU. Period.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 12-03-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for all the input.

This is why i never recommend canned tuners to anyone. Although I have had success reading some handheld "canned" tunes, such as those from a predator on a gen III v8, it is generally a crapshoot. But like Iam Broke said, tunes with non HPT custom OS's cannot be read.

The bad part is sometimes individuals who used a different tuner, must return to stock or get a new pcm before someone else can touch the calibration, which is a headache. For similar reasons I am against tuner locking.
    If some one steals my work and copies it chances are they don't understand why I did or did not make certain changes. If they understood this they wouldn't be copying some else's work. (If someone uses a tune of mine for a baseline tune on another vehicle I can understand that, even if I don't fully condone it) Eventually making calibration changes without some sort of understanding behind them will catch up with them and they will lose customers.