Thread: 4L80 swapped 2000 truck, speedo not working

Advanced Tuner

4L80 swapped 2000 truck, speedo not working

i checked the VSS on the rear of the tranny, it had a little metal shaving on it, cleaned it off and it didn't make a difference. you can see in the log from about frame 190 to 220 what is going on. in this log, the truck is on jack stands in the shop. i put it in gear to see if i could get a good speedo reading after cleaning the VSS off. The truck isn't shifting properly. In the tune, under Speedo>Gear/Tire Calc, it says "Error" in the tire size box and won't allow me to change tire size or gears. I managed to get ahold of the guy who did a lot of work to the truck, it has a FLT level 4 4L80E and their 2600 converter, he said. That's about all i know. It's supercharged with a 3-Bar SD OS. The tune was pretty raped when i got it and have been slowly working on getting it back together.

Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Found a .bin in the repository that was supposedly a stock 2000 silverado with a 4L80 segment swap. i changed all the shift parameters in my tune to match that one, just to try starting from scratch and the problem still exists. does this mean i have a bad VSS?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    When I was trying to get the speedo to work with my 4l80 swap I messed with VSS Pulses per Mile and Final Drive Ratio - Trans Revolutions/Mile. (Turns out reluctor ring was not there. You saw my post.) These numbers ended up being way different than what I calculated and what HPT auto scaled them too. I eventually got it to work but I also got an error in the same spot you did and I couldn't make any changes in HPT. I had to flash an older tune to get it to work again with old numbers.

I would inspect the wiring and weather pack connector and it wouldn't hurt to check out the reluctor wheel with a mirror but I'm sure it's probably fine. My guess is the sensor is bad and being unresponsive or you have a short to ground in the wiring of your VSS. Also, try switching the front sensor to the rear and see if you get a reading on the speedometer. (Both sensors are the same.)

Advanced Tuner
    i looked over most of the connectors and they seemed fine. i'll try swapping front & rear VSS tomorrow and see what happens. thanks!