Thread: 2.2 ecotec cavalier 05 t3/t4 project

Potential Tuner

2.2 ecotec cavalier 05 t3/t4 project

I am doing a custom project on a cavalier 05 2.2 ecotec with a t3/t4 55 trim compressor wheel turbo.

I would like to know what injectors their size/number should i put on this project? Should i up the fuel pressure or the stock pressure is all good?

Any suggestion for what is related to fueling components would be highly appreciated.

Most of all, i would like to know where to start to tune my ECM. Is there specific sections in hptuners i need to tune from stock for this kind of project (turbo tune) or do i have to tune every single tables?

Correct me if im wrong, but i know i have to tune VE, PE, injector const. All i want is adjust the fuel to support the extra air from the turbo. Is the ecotec 2.2 cavalier 05 throttle base?

Any step by step learning/tuning would be appreciated. My goal isnot to race is only to learn and have fun playing with tune on my car and most of all build it on my own, but i need expert help.

Thanks

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    42lb injectors on the 2.0 supercharged edition handle up to 16 psi pretty well. If your running low compression on that 2.2 then you might want to up them to 60 lbs/hr as you will see more dynamic airflow under boost.(more cylinder to fill...slightly)

the best setup for fuel in the ecotec's right now is a return style fuel system. Setup #1 -duel feed the fuel rail from the sides and pull the return from the center to the regulator assembly. the regulator will then send the not needed fuel back to the fuel tank. Setup #2- this is the more common setup as it requires less hoses and fittings. Feed the fuel rail from 1 side. screw the pressure regulator into the other end of the rail. the return feed off the regulator goes back to the tank. knowing which type of regulator will be critical in selecting the correct data for the fuel injectors. If you run a non-return style like the lsj and others come factory with then you will have more plotting. most people go boost referenced regulator which allows them to run fixed injector data and keep the trims under control by raising the fuel pressure in the rail to compensate for the pressure differential between the intake psi and the rail psi. it will still require tuning either way so be sure you understand both and what kinds of data charting goes with each.

if you have the alpha-n ecu which im not 100% sure on when it made its way out of the cavalier, then below will not help you.

for tuning there is no specific section. changing fuel injectors and swapping from n/a to power adder pretty much requires a complete overhaul on darn near every table. start by leaving the ignition timing stock up to the mid range. where you go into wot make sure the ignition timing does not exceed 15* timing. this will keep you from detonating everywhere while you figure the rest out.
    Turn off ignition system multipliers and modifiers.
    Turn off fuel system multipliers and modifiers. (except for any fuel injector base data related tables)
    Turn off defco and power enrich mode.
    Lock the ecu into speed density mode.
    once you have all the multipliers off and ecu in SD Mode you can tune the base fuel injector map. (VE Table) once your fuel trims are close to 0 you need to verify your injector data by multiplying the ve table by 10%. if the cells dont change to -10 on the next log averages then you have some fuel injector tuning to do. most likely you will be doing this finer calibration step. use the time here to sort out idle issues as well as most are related to not setting up the base injector tables correctly. once the base injector test verify your data is good then you can move onto fuel multiplier tables which are also referred to as Transient Control Tables. Transient means short term or quick to pass so anything that happens quickly like going from 50% -100% throttle quickly or loading and unloading of the engine as you drive will usually end up being corrected for under a transient control table. as you raise you boost and verify your pe keep your timing low. raise it 1-2 psi so you can keep track and adjust the newly hit fuel cells within a safety margin. if you raise it by 1 psi at a time you will notice a trend in % fuel Trim increase. you can use this trend to help predict how much fuel will be required to better maintain a safe afr at the next 1 psi pressure increase.

after ever other table has you satisfied you can finally go to your timing table and adjust your table. do not compensate fuel for timing unless you have a dyno proving that a little more fuel is helping you make some more power. Adding fuel to get more timing is considered a band aid fix and frowned upon by tuners on this forum unless your data is proving the power is there. Aim for 14.7 afr pump gas and lambda 1.0 for ethanol pump gas. since the difference between e85 pump is so different throughout the year its a little easier to convert the data to lambda and just run stoich afr to 1.0. For pe pump gas run 11.5-11.7 under boost. the rate at which you get there can be adjusted to make great low end trq but watch for excessive heat build or you will find yourself back in the mechanical stage once again. E85 when using lambda start at a richer setting like .81-.82. this would be around 12:1 is you were watching lambda on regular pump gas. to convert just follow this formula: Stoich AFR(14.69 for pump 91) * Lambda value (.82) = Target AFR (12.04 AFR)

to me this is a mid length post. Its very bland and sums the tuning process up in an extremely short amount of reading time. As you read further on and request information and help you will quickly realize this post's info will expand up to 10X its length with more data that is needed for both physical data entering and for you to take in. Its well worth the time and effort.

if you need any help understanding the scanner and how and why we set it up the way we do don't hesitate to send me a message. Welcome to the HPT Family.
    CSSOB
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Just for the records i plan to run 8 psi. Not sure but many forums seems to tell me that 05 cavalier ecotec 2.2 is Alpha N.

I don't already have hpt but ordering it pretty soon. Should i go pro or not?

How will i know if i really am alpha n? There will be VE - rpm VS TPS table option only?

Thanks

if you want to record data without having a laptop in the car or have extra sensors plugged into the side of hpt cable instead of swapping a sensor input to the ecu then i would go pro. anyone using standard can see everything in the pro mode it just has less physical features.

alpha n is a real pain for boost. on this forum is planethax. hes really good at alpha n so if you search his name definately read his threads and posts.

the fuel injectors will be adjusted using a offset value not a table.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-19-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Potential Tuner
    My research let me find that Alpha N will let me set VE % in a table associations are made between RPM VS TPS. Correct?

Second question i understand what is VE if i check wikipedia. But, in other words, if i have 124% VE at 4500 RPM & 80% TPS, what does that mean versus the fueling adjustment? Is this table just to tell "at this RPM & that TPS, mechanically, my cylinder is filled at 124% of its capacity in air" ?

Third, is this table purpose to act as a reference to other tables, to know the amount of air at a certain point and actually do the fueling in association with this precise point? If yes, is the correlation for fueling pretty much looks like this :

V = (VE TPS versus RPM value)
    A = (PE AFR versus ECT value)
    M = (PE Multiplier VS RPM)

my theory formula : Fueling = (A*M)/(V transferred into real volume units depending on engine liters)

Does that make any sense to you guys? If not is there any explanation like this exemple anyone could possibly try to write down?

Thanks

any way you can re word that, i dont think im understanding the questions.

all i got out of that is that you might want to understand ve. the table values change so in hpt i would disregard the fill Percentage remark you had before as some ve tables have digits in the 1k+ value range.

cylinder fill % would look in rough form something like this i believe: Cylinder Displacement / Incoming Air Speed (RPMxTPS and/or MAF) and the density of the air (BAROxIAT if boosted MAFxIAT) and of course a few conversion factors = Cylinder Fill %

Potential Tuner
    For the two first questions, I don't know how to re word. It is pretty much clear in my mind :S, anyways...

For your answer on Cylinder fill %. If i understand well the cylinder fill % is in fact the kind of values we enter in the VE tables no matter if its a RPM VS TPS VE table or a MAP VS RPM VE table? is that correct?

Also what "complete kit" would you suggest for Wideband to buy?

thanks

innovate systems are what the shops buy, they are very accurate and have tough units.
    best for most people are aem eugo wideband kits. they have a sensor, harness, gauge, and even an output to plug into the interface module for recording. most people choose this for personal use.

ve values are a representation of fill in a way. the proper value will tell the cylinder how much air is needed for the incoming air.
    alpha n is rpm x tps

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    ve values are a representation of fill in a way. the proper value will tell the cylinder how much air is needed for the incoming air.
    alpha n is rpm x tps
    You mean : how much fuel is needed for incoming air ?

And the fuel needed is calculated with this value in comparison to the target/commanded AFR?

In the very most base explanation yes

Potential Tuner
    Lets get back a little on the fuel mechanical parts.

For 8 psi could i should use cobalt ss supercharged injectors (42lb) ?

Do i have to change my stock fuel pump?

Can i keed the stock fuel rail & fuel regulator setup from cavalier 2.2 ecotec?

What fuel pressure in rail should i have?

Any other advice?

Is it reliable to keep everything stock in fuel machanical parts setup except fuel injectors?