Thread: noob in need of direction

Advanced Tuner

Thumbs down noob in need of direction

im 43 and a mechanic of 25 years and wanted to offer my customers a hyper**** type tune and im lost , i have been reading for weeks ans still cant through the basic t/m for engine and trans ,currently i pulled a scan from a 1998 camaro any help would be considered great , if anyone would lend a hand and build my first one so i can use it for comparison i would be willing to pay as time is money the car is bone stock ,,, and also i saw no stickies anywhere on this issue unless im blind

thanks

Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    this is what i did , please tell me if im fubar or not lol take it easy on me , first time

Senior Tuner
    Have you looked at repository tunes? The good ones
    can show you a lot. Knowing good from not-so-good,
    well... you just have to count on the description, or
    contact the author.

I don't think much of the handheld tuners and you can
    do much better - and more reliably.

Beware the '98 OS:data thing if you go trying out
    other peoples' tunes. As a rule, better to only copy
    what you understand, by hand. But that gets to be
    like work. Use compare to see what people are most
    commonly changing from stock.

Advanced Tuner
    I did look at the repository and all O found we ones heavily modded , By the tuner thing I meant it would be a starting point ,once i do one or two I will get the hang of it Im just having a hard time getting started ,
    Thank you very much for your reply

Jim

I started one today adjusted low octane a bit and bumped up shift pressures but im not sure if i got the t/m right if some one wants to pick it apart and tell me if im headed in the right direction and or what i did wrong i would appreciate it
    Last edited by usc45cal; 11-19-2013 at 03:11 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    unless you are getting knock retard the low octane table won't have any effect on timing, just an FYI
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you very much Bill , I am a sponge , i read alot and i am determined to make this work , along with the support team and members , i keep making adjustments to this bone stock engine to see what i can get out of it , as jimmiy blue explained , once I figure out what mistakes i made in tm the rest will come with or without help

THanks
    Jim

Advanced Tuner
    give this a try. Use the compare feature to see what changes were made. This is basically your tune with torque management deleted and few other little things. Be careful with spark advance on '98 F-bodies. They're pretty aggressive from the factory, so watch for knock retard and pull timing as necessary. for instance, if you see 2* of knock retard, try pulling 1*-2* of timing and re-scan to see if it went away, or add better fuel if possible.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000_SS View Post
    give this a try. Use the compare feature to see what changes were made. This is basically your tune with torque management deleted and few other little things. Be careful with spark advance on '98 F-bodies. They're pretty aggressive from the factory, so watch for knock retard and pull timing as necessary. for instance, if you see 2* of knock retard, try pulling 1*-2* of timing and re-scan to see if it went away, or add better fuel if possible.
    200_ss that was exactly what i needed ,,, thank you very much .I did not copy your file but did what you said and used it for comparison and then played around with some timing and this thing runs great but could use a little more ,

I appreciate you helping me out more than you know , now im on my way to alot of hard work but in the end i can be a good tuner thanks

jim