Thread: HPT custom 2bar OS...where to start with VE tables?

Tuner in Training

Question HPT custom 2bar OS...where to start with VE tables?

Guys, I've been tuning a 2011 Corvette Z06 on which I just put 0.024" milled heads, a 235/242 114+3 cam and headers. I've got the timing done (had to pull it back quite a bit) and I've been trying to dial in the fuel trims in the low RPM area where VE is controlling things. I found using the BlueCat tool to be extremely cumbersome and frankly after examining the values it generated I'm, not so sure it's all that accurate (only because there's such a huge difference from the baseline values).

So, I'm looking to switch to a custom HPT OS where the VE tables can be modified directly. But, I'm not sure where to start with the VE tables. If you see the attached tune file, I've copied the values from the VE table generated by the BlueCat tool but it looks a bit odd. How do the values look to you for a starting point?

Also, are there any other changed needed besides the VE tables?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Went down this road and had a fun time learning the ins and outs. Here are a few quick tips I learned

The VE tables seem to be dull to changes until your within 10%
    So for your initial few changes do a global change by about 1.5 of your percent error this will save you hours... hours.. lol
    By glancing at your tables your probably going to be pig rich at idle and the majority of the map.
    Short cut, pull your idle areas down to around 900 or so "will still be rich if injector data is correct". Decel will end up in the 500 ball park range. 2100ish is about the peak VE ive used on a few boosted C6 and ls3 cars. make sure to lower any high areas other wise it will screw with you.
    Make sure your maf curve is copied of correctly
    MAKE IT SMOOTH! SPIKES BUMPS HILLS CAUSE SOME VERY WIERD FUEL ISSUES! kinda obvious.
    Best thing to keep in mind is it seems that the ECU looks at these tables more as a whole than individual cells. so again smmmmoooottthhhh
    Hope that points you in the right direction.
    HP-Unlimited Tuning and Custom Fabrication
    Houston area performance parts dealer
    MD800 Mustang Dyno 713-560-3889 Taylor
    2016 Camaro A8 "shop car" FIRST 6th GEN CAMARO OVER 200mph IN THE MILE 203.5mph

Tuner
    Here is what I would do to tune it:

First off I assume this is a NA vehicle. I would first go back to setting the MAP linear & offset back to stock for the stock MAP sensor. Then I would edit both VE tables to go from 15-105 kpa. Right click and edit column axis, then put 105 in the right most cell and interpolate horizontal and it will figure out the break points. Most as well have better resolution if you are NA anyways and it will run better. Then use the EQ_VE 4 file at the bottom to copy and paste your starting VE values. Just remove the .txt from the file name
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet08 View Post
    Went down this road and had a fun time learning the ins and outs. Here are a few quick tips I learned

The VE tables seem to be dull to changes until your within 10%
    So for your initial few changes do a global change by about 1.5 of your percent error this will save you hours... hours.. lol
    By glancing at your tables your probably going to be pig rich at idle and the majority of the map.
    Short cut, pull your idle areas down to around 900 or so "will still be rich if injector data is correct". Decel will end up in the 500 ball park range. 2100ish is about the peak VE ive used on a few boosted C6 and ls3 cars. make sure to lower any high areas other wise it will screw with you.
    Make sure your maf curve is copied of correctly
    MAKE IT SMOOTH! SPIKES BUMPS HILLS CAUSE SOME VERY WIERD FUEL ISSUES! kinda obvious.
    Best thing to keep in mind is it seems that the ECU looks at these tables more as a whole than individual cells. so again smmmmoooottthhhh
    Hope that points you in the right direction.
    Thanks a bunch for the tips! Do you think it was worth the effort switching from the standard VVE of the E38?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnite Magic View Post
    Here is what I would do to tune it:

First off I assume this is a NA vehicle. I would first go back to setting the MAP linear & offset back to stock for the stock MAP sensor. Then I would edit both VE tables to go from 15-105 kpa. Right click and edit column axis, then put 105 in the right most cell and interpolate horizontal and it will figure out the break points. Most as well have better resolution if you are NA anyways and it will run better. Then use the EQ_VE 4 file at the bottom to copy and paste your starting VE values. Just remove the .txt from the file name
    That's what I was looking for! Good suggestion reducing the max MAP value to 105, I can see how higher resolution would help.

I did not change the MAP linear and offset values from stock unless that's part of the custom OS settings. I'll compare them with the stock tune file to be sure.

Thanks a bunch for the help!!