Thread: Displacement on demand Questions

Displacement on demand Questions

I just picked up an '05 Buick Rainier 5.3l and I was intending to better utilize the dod feature, but I pulled the stock tune and dod is disabled. Truck gets pretty bad fuel economy. At 70mph I'm getting about 18.5mpg.

I have an E40 controller and LH6 engine rpo. I was under the impression the LH6 had the dod feature. Is there a chance I do not have dod capability? I haven't logged anything yet. How do I know if I am in V4 mode?

*Edit

Ok found this on trailvoy:

"The exhaust system for the Gen IV Vortec 5300 required careful tuning to maintain optimal noise and vibration control. In four-cylinder operation, the engine creates second-order exhaust pulses; in eight-cylinder operation, it creates fourth-order exhaust pulses. The system requires special pipe tuning to account for both. Mitigating features for short-wheelbase vehicles are still in development. As a result, Displacement on Demand will be disabled via calibration in the Buick Rainier, Envoy Denali and Saab 9-7."

And it appears there is a status bit to log as well...but regardless I should know by the sound I guess. So it appears I have the hardware to do this? Does is really sound that bad?

I'll log this after work.
    Last edited by hhrfreek; 11-14-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47

Sounds like u could turn it on but you'll need to see how bad the vibration and noise is.... Worse case is you enable it for anywhere near DFCO on super light throttle to save fuel on down slopes etc .....
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

Advanced Tuner
    I've heard it on a truck with basically straight pipes and it didn't sound too bad but the factory setup had it constantly switching v4 to v8 which you could hear and was really annoying. I was called to tune it so that the DOD was more aggressive and switched less.
    2006 Holden Monaro I Phantom Black Metallic I Red I One of 416
    L92/L76 I Streetsweeper HTR I SLP LT I LoudMouth 2
    JHP V2 I Powdercoated Black 18s I Kyne Splitter

2001 GTP I Stock DD

Enabled DoD and it does not work. I've done a little more digging and it is my understanding the engine does have the provisions to operate DoD, but the harness does not connect the solenoids to the ecm in the Buick Rainier, Envoy Denali and Saab 9-7. It sounds like it could be a simple wiring job. I'm going to pose this question on another forum since this is not tuning related anymore, but if anyone can shed light on this lmk. When I have an answer or finish it up I'll update the thread.

Edit:

I just checked my engine and on the back of the VLOM(Valve Lifter Oil Manifold) there is an empty connector next to the oil pressure sensor. Now I am really leaning towards a simple wiring job.
    Last edited by hhrfreek; 11-14-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Solstice GXP
    6758/E47