Thread: 2005 C6 corvette flood car, help me out

Potential Tuner

2005 C6 corvette flood car, help me out

Hey all,

We're working on a 2005 z51 flood car, building a race car. Car is completely gutted, and only has the ECM, BCM (from a different car), RCDLR (from a different car), and INstrument Cluster. Used HPT to get rid of VATS and now car starts fine (with a jumped started relay). GMLAN wires from ECM are cut and sired directly to the ODB2 port. This was the only way I could get HPT to talk to the ECM. Dash works, and the car generally runs, and idles ok (a bit bouncy). Revs ok at part throttle (30%), but WOT it basically sounds like crap, and will not rev. If I gradually increase throttle, I can get it to about 5k before is starts to bog. This is all in neutral, but it doe the same while moving in the lot. I flashed out TC and TM thinking that might be it, but made no diff. So, to sum here are the facts:
    - car is a 2005 C6 flood car
    - GMLAN (tan and tan/black wires) cut and spliced direct to OBD2 port, so ECM is not on the GMLAN with the rest of the car
    - Idles ok, a bit stumbly
    - Won't rev past ~5k at part throttle
    - WOT car sounds really bad, I assume super lean
    - Stock engine, stock tune, removed VATS, CAGS, TC/TM and that's about it.

I'm a total newb with HPT, so not even sure what to log so I can get help on this ... Attached is the log I made this eve, along with the dtc and tune file. Anyone have any suggestions? I do notice a few DTCs for the throttle actuator. Doing some tests it appears that the gas pedal is able to open the throttle up to 100%, but is it possible the ECM is not seeing the throttle open, and so is not adding fuel, hence leaning it out completely? Anyway, feel free to post suggestions, or what else I should log (and how!) I'll be back at the shop on Friday to test more stuff.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    car is lean, also you mentioned car is stock. is your Throttle body stock?
    Last edited by SultanHassanMasTuning; 11-07-2013 at 03:00 AM.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    car is lean, also you mentioned car is stock. is your Throttle body stock?
    As far as I know, everything is stock. At this point we're not doing any performance tuning at all ... just need help getting it running right, and HPTuners is the tool that can help (with the logging, etc) ... hopefully?

Our next step will be to drain the fuel tanks and check the pumps filters ... Can fuel pressure be logged? What is the stock fuel pressure supposed to be? That would at least tell us if the pumps are working correctly.

The other issue appears to be the throttle actuator codes ... I wonder if it's just the limp mode or reduced power mode the ECM is going into because the pedal or TB actuator are foobared (or not agreeing).

Potential Tuner
    Well, got it solved for now. Eliminated all the codes (pin 14 needed ignition power), so the TPS and pedal issues went away, but it still would not rev past 4k, and idled like crap. When idling, pulled the MAF connector then plugged it back in, and that smoothed out the idle ... also let it rev to limiter! Yay! Does it everytime, so I guess the MAF is foobared.

Question: Does pulling the MAF and reconnecting put it into a different map (ie, mafless) so that it runs correctly?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    why dont you tune it mafless, less headache
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    why dont you tune it mafless, less headache
    Certainly on the list, but I have lots to learn about tuning these things ... just wanted to get it running stock for now! Both our BMW race cars run mafless.