Thread: WOT knock retard 4.8L 6 speed cam

Tuner in Training

WOT knock retard 4.8L 6 speed cam

Hello, I just swapped a cam in my 4.8L/6 speed s10 and i am having issues with knock. Previously, with a stock ls1 cam in it I had just been running on a stock 4.8L timing table with timing added in at wot (about 24 degrees total). After the cam swap (223,230 dur. 600,600 lift 115+3lsa) i still had a full tank of 87 octane and was getting heavy knock under part throttle higher load conditions, on take off in 1st, and at wide open. So pretty much everywhere except light to moderate cruising. I started by uploading a stock 4.8L/ 5speed truck tune and threw in a bottle of octane booster. This took care of most the part throttle higher load knock but still had some. So now i finally got all the 87 octane burned out and filled up with 93octane tonight. Knock seems to be pretty well gone everywhere except WOT. I tried pulling 3 degrees of timing and didnt help. Pulled another 3 degrees in those areas and still no better. I cant see a stock 4.8L tune being too much timing and after still having knock after pulling 6 degrees in those areas im at a loss!!!

I do hear a little more valvetrain noise with the cam installed so i thought maybe that could be setting off the knock sensors. But i dont want to desensitize the sensors if it is actually real knock.

s10 sd.cfg
    s10 idle 11.4.13.hpt
    s10 cam 4.8l wot 93 oct.hpl

I have a log with just the stock 4.8L/5 speed timing map and 93 octane. A little less than halfway through is the wide open portion. Take a look and see if you guys can help figure out what the heck is going on.

Tuner in Training
    Nobody??? Im going to try desensitizing the knock sensors by about 20% and see if there is any difference

Tuner in Training
    Well i desensitized the tip in and rpm knock sensor tables by 20% and that didn't help. Also tried pulling up to 7 degrees out at wot (down to 15) and still had knock. I am really at a loss of what else to try???
    Last edited by thirdgen60; 11-05-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Can't view the log on a Mac, but log the PID Burst Knock Retard if it's not disabled. BKR shows up as Knock Retard from memory and the only way to delineate is to log both PIDs

Tuner in Training
    big thanks to subeone over on performance trucks. He went through my file and fix a bunch of little things in my tune including increasing knock decay rates to max, zeroing burst knock, spark map changes, ve changes, disabled egr (DOH), etc.

Truck runs 10x better now but i am still seeing a few cell of KR right when i go wot in 1st. I have a new log file from tonight with WOT 1-3 gear. Take a look and see what you guys think. Im thinking since its just a quick spike its probably just mechanical knock but i need to figure out how get rid of it.

s10 11.6.13 knock fix.hpl
    s10 sd.cfg
    s10 idle 11.4.13 v2 perform trucks.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Looks to be to lean in the area that has knock. Right before knock it goes really lean. I would richen the VE table in the 90 to 105kpa area if it were me tuning it. You have too much pink and red on your afr error scan in the wot area. I tune for an afr of 12.5 for the most torque and reliability. Just because your PE is commanding 12.54 doesn't mean it will achieve it. Your VE table has to be correct first. You won't gain much by leaning it to the edge of knock and your motor won't last as long. Use your scanner to correct the VE table. Good luck bud.

Tuner
    VE table needs work. I would remove a lot of those PIDs.