Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best possible turbo for LNF?

Potential Tuner

Best possible turbo for LNF?

Hi guys,
    First post so take it easy on me. I own a 2008 HHR SS and have tuned it with great results thanks to all you posts. Specifically COSSOB, IMB, BYT, Daynoff, Terminator2, GMtech, and many others Thank you! Now I'm looking to go a step beyond and currentlly am building my own turbo upgrade. I have the bottom end completed with wisco's, H-beam rods, 82# valve springs, blended heads. Now my question is what turbo? I would like a twin scroll because my goal is 500 hp, and we all know what kind of lag you get with those numbers. I only drag race, but still want to have decent scroll. What are your thoughts?

PS. I'm not a tuner so I will post all of my results, i do this for fun and have no secrets.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Gt35r is good to 700+ but lags big time like almost 4700 iirc.
    Gtx3076r spools 200 rpm sooner than standard gt3076r and flows out to 500. This should spool in the 3's.
    best option to date would be a borg warner turbo. The zfr fits very well and bought in the larger size makes plenty of power. Thesr have fast spool times as the smaller zfr spools around stock and the larger around 3700 I believe.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

My sky needs a larger turbo lol

tough to fit into an hhr but a gt2876r with a gtx3576R or gt3788r compounded would be a killer also. set the gt2876r wastegate pressure to 22psi then set the gtx35 or gt37 to about 30 and let er rip! if you put like a 15lb spring into the larger turbo you can open the manual or electric controller all the way up and just let the little guy do all the work for the street. turn the large gate back on and hello 550+

keep in mind gmr is using gt35 and 37 turbos to make 900 on lsj style motors.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-03-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hey thanks for the replies, I'm thinking I would like to try something different than the crowd. A lot of Saab and DSM guys are having great results running holset turbos. I talked to a friend of mine today and he has a hx35 twin scroll 12cm with a factory billet 7 blade compressor wheel. That's a 60lb/min and runs up to 43lbs of boost still on the map! If I can get it to fit the price is right, only 100 miles on the turbo.

Potential Tuner
    Hey check this out! 20lbs of boost by 3600rpm! 500+hp awsome twin scroll is the way to go.
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno...272-272-a.html

Potential Tuner
    I am running gtx3076r on my HHR SS and it flows 53lbs. I love it hope the stock block can hold for a while. It's does spool pretty fast but a little laggy compare to the stock turbo. Stay in power all up to redline.

You're not going to be able to use a dual scroll turbo without a custom manifold. The only aftermarket manifolds for the Ecotec are non dual scroll.

My recommendation is to do what other people have already figured out. The ZFR, PWR (both for the EFR) and BNR (GT28) turbine housing bolt up to the factory manifold and yield great results.

--Christian

Quote Originally Posted by clutchcooker View Post
    Hey thanks for the replies, I'm thinking I would like to try something different than the crowd. A lot of Saab and DSM guys are having great results running holset turbos. I talked to a friend of mine today and he has a hx35 twin scroll 12cm with a factory billet 7 blade compressor wheel. That's a 60lb/min and runs up to 43lbs of boost still on the map! If I can get it to fit the price is right, only 100 miles on the turbo.
    Your turbo lag will be greater then the dsm is. The dsm has ports on the head that are almost for say double the size of the ecotec.

Potential Tuner
    image.jpg Done deal got the manifold finished 2days ago. Couldn't pass up a $300 turbo that flows as good as a GT35R with faster scroll. As far as not scrolling as fast as a DSM, bigger cams and ports scroll slower than smaller ones, but they have increases on the top end. Size of the motor is the same so it shouldn't be a whole lot different. Guess we will find out eh?
    Last edited by clutchcooker; 11-14-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Potential Tuner
    image.jpg. Trick from the diesel boys! Why run two wastegates eh? Went with a 44mm instead of 38mm.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by clutchcooker View Post
    Hey check this out! 20lbs of boost by 3600rpm! 500+hp awsome twin scroll is the way to go.
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno...272-272-a.html

That's definitely pretty sweet but the twin scroll isn't the only contributing factor to the early spool. He's running ethanol, which from what I've been explained/gathered, helps spool time as well.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Ethanol burns a little slower saving some expansion time for the exhaust. That will help spool not to mention retarding timing in the spool range will help spool too.

I made one v band header for a Gtx35 with a tial housing. After factoring in equal length conversion and a collector it was my first and last v band ecotec manifold. Spooled the gtx35 at 3800 to 4000 after camshaft, fuel change and timing changes. Boost launch set to 10 psi on slicks. Wicked fast in third and fourth gear but traction was definitely a battle down in the shorter gears.

You can weld that waste gate into the turbine housing but it connects the two circuits together still. Sorry but your diesel guys just did the same thing as welding it in right before the turbo flange. Any proper twin scroll will have 2 waste gates.

Now if you want only 1 waste gate you need to have a non separated collector and then mount a quick spool valve to cover the larger a side of the turbine. Once it hits boost it opens the large port up utilizing both sides for full flow. Supra guys making 700-800hp love it so Check the supra forums to see pictures of the setup.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-14-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Potential Tuner
    "Sorry but your diesel guys just did the same thing as welding it in right before the turbo flange".
    Come on cossob give me more credit than that! Of course it's divided all the way to the valve!
    OMIF. It is proven to work just fine, always more than one way to skin a cat.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNITE View Post
    You're not going to be able to use a dual scroll turbo without a custom manifold. The only aftermarket manifolds for the Ecotec are non dual scroll.

My recommendation is to do what other people have already figured out. The ZFR, PWR (both for the EFR) and BNR (GT28) turbine housing bolt up to the factory manifold and yield great results.

--Christian
    Yea that's to easy, never really did fit in with normal folks! Ha ha

I'm here to help people understand things and all I was trying to help you see is that by placing waste gate in that spot you are connecting the two divided sections. The valve doesn't contact the walls of the housing sealing it off so because you have a v band adapter making space the two sides are no longer divided. Air will flow between the two sides in the v band adapter under the waste gate valve.

Potential Tuner
    Hey I understand cossob mechanically speaking I got this, tuning wise is where I lack expertise. Anyhow it's up and running, and as for badass spool time it's all that! For a 550-600HP turbo YOU WILL NOT find better spool period. Let all the replies about BB turbos come on down! the price is wrong biatch! I will post a log. Right now I'm only boosting 10psi in 3rd gear by 2400rpm, let's see if your s256 can do that. F@&$ you couldn't get that with a 2871. Anyhow I have some issues with erratic MAF readings so I ordered a airflow honeycomb need to chop up the charge pipe and install that see if it smooths out the signal.

subscribed.

street action?
    2008 Sky RL

2871 spool at 3k when you tune properly. it requires work but we can get them there. as for your spool i'm glad you like where it kicks in.
    idk how your testing your spool but overloading the gear to get a lower spool is not how it should be tested. are you performing a standard 3rd pull from 2500rpm like everyone else does for the dyno? if not id like to see if the spool time is different.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 12-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.