Thread: balancing shafts on L5 engine

Advanced Tuner

Question balancing shafts on L5 engine

hi guys,

I have one Hummer H3 with LLR engine, 3500 L5.
    It has worn out the balancing shaft bearing inside the block. the bearing is serviced by GM, but it's location on the block is also damaged and since is the deepest one it can't be machined.
    that means that I can only replace the block, that is not serviced by GM, only full engine assembly. too expensive, it's not worth the H3 value itself here...
    I know L4 people use to remove the balancing shaft.
    how about L5 engines? do you have experience on it?
    thank you
    best regards

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if it is removed you will need a shaft replacement idler to keep the slack in that location of the timing system tight.
    usually these items are single journal deep into the block.

the other bearings will have to be blocked off to prevent oil from pouring out supply holes. on the ecotec blocks one of the easiest things to do is remove and rotate the bearings to block the passages off.

you will have to find a idler kit though and i haven't heard of one for a l5 motor.

depending on how the shaft is made you could have a machine shop modify the original. Say the idler gets bolted into the block from the front then after the first journal you could have the machine shop remove the balancing material so its just a neutral weigh gear bolted into the block to prevent walking.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman