Thread: Tips on Tuning Laptops

Advanced Tuner

Tips on Tuning Laptops

Hi guys,

I currently have a large Toshiba Satellite laptop which is great for home use but it cumbersome.
    I was just after some feedback on what everyone is using/having great success with, ie manageable size, long battery life etc.
    Any information is greatly appreciate, thanks in advance.

Senior Tuner
    Aspire One, don't expect much from it, but works great with HP... all I use it for Battery lasts longer than you would really need so good there as well. I just plug it in between going out and scanning, works out just fine. have never lost a log or had it die during a write
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that's about a year old that works fine. I buy a new laptop about every other year because they get a little banged up. I bought two samsungs for my kids over the summer, and downloaded the program to those and they work fine.

Ive used the Lenovos and they work just as well. I try and keep the cost of the laptop under $500.00 since I buy a new one everyother year.

Is anyone using a tablet for hp, and if so how do you like it?

I'm in the market for an upgraded laptop or tablet too. Using an aspire one now, but my touch pad is dying. I love the long battery life and the compactness. It's pretty slow and sometimes it would be nice to have a larger screen.

If it's laptop all the way, what computer specs are most important?

Tuner
    I have an Acer Aspire One I used, the 10+ hours of battery life is great. The low screen resolution kinda made it hard to see everything you wanted logging though.

I used a Dell XPS 1640 with a 1920x1080 screen resolution. You have never enjoyed tuning until you get a laptop with a big screen resolution. Battery life is only 2 hours or so though.

I have been playing with a 10" windows tablet the last few days, and even mounted it in the windshield like a big GPS. So far, I really like this setup. Great for logging, not so great for modifying the tune.

The most important feature to me in a laptop for tuning is screen resolution and brightness.
    Last edited by lwrs10; 10-28-2013 at 09:17 AM.

I am using a Dell Lattiude 6430 ATG. Pricey for a enthusiast tuner, but if you tune often it is worth the price. It is tougher if you drop it, has a daylight readable touch screen LCD, and also a carrying handle! Prior to this I had a Panasonic Toughbook CF-74. It was very similar to my current laptop.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner
    kenovos are cheap semi rugged laptops very good also for enthusiast level

Tuner
    sorry i meant lenovos

+1 lenovos, that's what i bought cause i didn't want to spend a lot of money one that was only going to use only for HPT.
    •2008 GenIV LS4 5.3L FWD - DoD/AFM removed
    •EPS Cam: 216/220 duration @ 0.050" lift; 0.561"/0.564" valve lift
    •LS2 Intake, 90mm Throttle Body, and LS2 Injectors
    •Modified Doug Thorley Headers
    •3.0" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Magnaflow Muffler, Vacuum/Solenoid-controlled Exhaust Cut-out Valve
    •2008 GXP ECM OS custom tuned by: Sinister Performance

The Touchscreen Yoga's are real nice.. kinda expensive... but I use it for other stuff... so worth it! It turns on to the tile screen from completely off in about 5 seconds.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...yoga/yoga-11s/
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    I am using a Dell Lattiude 6430 ATG. Pricey for a enthusiast tuner, but if you tune often it is worth the price. It is tougher if you drop it, has a daylight readable touch screen LCD, and also a carrying handle! Prior to this I had a Panasonic Toughbook CF-74. It was very similar to my current laptop.
    What battery do you have and what's the battery life like?

I bought the optional bigger battery, and it is by far the best longest lasting battery I have had on a laptop. I can go all day on a single charge.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    I bought the optional bigger battery, and it is by far the best longest lasting battery I have had on a laptop. I can go all day on a single charge.
    Very cool. Ty.

Senior Tuner
    Nothing but problems with my Lenovo. Loved it new, was awesome. Three major crashes later I will use it for surfing once in a blue moon and that's about it
    2000 Trans Am WS6