Thread: IAT1 read 32F IAT2 reads above ambient??

IAT1 read 32F IAT2 reads above ambient??

Before I logged last night, I realized that the IAT values in my primary table read:
    IAT: 72F (actually 52F outside)
    IAT2: 32F always no matter what

However the IAT sensor shown in the HPtuners gauges reads 52F, which is an average of the two. I've read that is what is supposed to occur, however why is there errors in my IAT1 and IAT2 values?

This was before the truck was even started so the engine bay and intercooler pipes were at ambient temps.

Would a disconnected sensor fail safe to 32F? and whats the reason for the IAT (SAE) to be 20 above ambient? I changed the MAF sensor to the card style ls7 but had never changed any IAT tables...?

Any help is appreciated.

REALIZED I HAD THE TITLE WRONG. THE IATS VALUES ARE ACTUALLY SWITCHED.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    ** post count is low because I actually "try to" read.
    Last edited by alexl226; 10-22-2013 at 02:53 PM.

*Added Ambient Air Temp to my primary.
    This too is often stuck at 32F and will randomly climb (to ~37F). Sometimes will be a few degrees below IAT1 also...

Intake Air Temp 1 - Always 20F above ambient (rises and falls as expected with stoping and cruising)

What would cause this 20 degree offset?!
    Last edited by alexl226; 10-23-2013 at 08:32 AM.

I added a whipple kit to my LS3, and when I did this I also noticed an instant drop in IAT temps... they include a manifold mounted IAT sensor and supplied tune.. and after installed it would read about 15F lower than actual at any ambient temp after the motor's been off even for 2-3 days... so I added 15F to all of the cal temps and fixed... now it reads right.

I asked Whipple about this problem on Camaro5.com but they never wrote back.... They also claim the lowest IAT's in the industry and now I think I know why.

So if you ever changed your IAT sensor from stock... expect it to be wrong. If it's 100% stock... then I'm not sure why it would read different.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

*edit*
    MAF was changed to LS7 Card Style "Strong"
    Since the MAF was changed, how do you correct for the difference in temperature?

**Answer
    Within HP Tuners
    Engine Diagnostics-->Airflow-->IAT Sensor-->IAT Sensor Cal

Instead of scaling mine, could I use the repository and find a stock 2011 camaro and use the values? I would also modify the axis if possible/needed. I'll try this tonight and see what happens.

Still in question
    IAT2- 32F always??
    Ambient Air Temp - 32F most of time, will sometimes slowly rise to 37F over 10 minute drive. Have seen it in the 60's also.... ??
    Last edited by alexl226; 10-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexl226 View Post
    Still in question
    IAT2- 32F always??
    Ambient Air Temp - 32F most of time, will sometimes slowly rise to 37F over 10 minute drive. Have seen it in the 60's also.... ??
    I think you should ignore IAT2 unless your setup was factory supercharged... then it means something. I know I also have allot of PID's that don't do anything, or read correctly. They are part of the ECU, but they are not wired or setup from factory.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

I was under the impression it was used for determining if it should kick on heat or a/c when the truck is remote started. It may be an on/off deal. Which would explain me seeing a temp of 32f and 64f.
    I got my IAT1 reading correctly using the repository and an ls3 iat curve. I also discovered you can edit that axis, which made things muuuuch smoother.