Thread: surging/dying during idling please help

Tuner in Training

surging/dying during idling please help (added tune file and scan file)

I have a 2002 t/a with:
    408 lsx
    6 bolt tfs 235's
    235/231 621/617 115
    twin turbo tc 72's
    4l80e w/transbrake segmented in by hptuners (car was originally a m6)
    dana60

I have a startup tune (sd tune) 3 bar map that I had my tuner email me to get started to at least get some break in miles on it before I took it down to have it dyno tuned. I am breaking it on off boost of course and keeping the rpms below 3500. I have a problem with the car upon initial startup each day. Same tune nothing changed. It takes me about 30 minutes at least to get the car to run and keep idling before I can even take it out. The car surges and cannot keep an idle and dies after idling for a couple of minutes. Once I let the car sit and idle and restart it several times it eventually snaps out of it and runs and can restart if I shut it off. I have some stumbling while driving but I figured that is to be expected since it's just a startup tune that hasn't been logged or fine tuned. Problem is my tuner is in Colorado and I'm in Wyoming so I can't just take it down there until it's broken in. I have a log of it while it's having the idling issues. Someone please help with this issue. I can't even get out of the driveway at this point. I couldn't get the car to settle out even after fiddling with it for an hour today. I'll be checking/changing the spark plugs to eliminate that possible issue since it is the first set of plugs used since we first started tuning. Thank you for your time and information/experience. Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ta02zx10r; 10-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Anyone ?

Throw up your tune file maybe someone might be able to have a look see.. idk but perhaps try using the VCM scanner and go into timing and set it at a static "for idle only" DO NOT drive it around like that... and see if the surge becomes less, no change bump the timing up to 23, if that helps then you can go into VCM editor and change your idle timing for a static.

But if that doesn't make it idle any better, you can just go in to VCM editor and fix your problem there by adjust your adaptive idle and throttle follower or try this first, and maybe have a look at your settings for when it had a M6 in it, if it hasn't been addressed since the swap, that could be playing a roll in your idle problems go get ya a tune file from the repository from an auto trans for comparison..

But with out your tune file no one can really get a good take on what your prob is bro man, not knowing your tune its really hard to say..

good luck hope you get it idling right asap peace
    Last edited by Monty; 10-21-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey thanks for the reply. I'll get a tune file up tonight so that I can give a little insight. I'll try and read up on what you've suggested but I am a noob to tuning. I want to learn but unfortunately this is what I'm learning on lol.

Thought id throw this site at ya, http://www.ls2.com/boggs/ls1edit/ls1...ing%20info.htm this is what i used to learn how to tune VE with out a WB and worked out quite nicely.. idk but i see your main VE seems rather out of wack for a 408, from what it seems its more suitable for a 350. also i see the manual trans spark smoothing is still enabled.. and again hope you get your idle idling asap peace and good luck, tons of good info on that site
    Last edited by Monty; 10-21-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info on the tuning advice. I'll definitely look into that link to try and educate myself. I have posted another log in which I disabled the m6 spark smoothing option. I actually got the car to idle for a while on it's own with out too much throttle feathering. It still has a surging idle. I was just curious to see if this would help with any insight. As far as the fuel mapping: this is just a startup tune that he made to get the car running decent enough to get some break in miles on it and to carry enough fuel to rev to about 3500rpm and stay out of boost. That's probably why it looks like its mapped out for a 350. I can't confirm this simply because I don't know a thing about any of this.....yet lol. I'm going to learn though. I appreciate your time input and experience. Let me know if you see anything in this log. Thanks again. It is GREATLY APPREICATED. Chris

Tuner in Training
    I haven't had to mess with injector tables yet, but the flow rate definitely looks wrong. I could be wrong though.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback

Tuner in Training
    Well, I found out what was the problem. When I was taking codes out of the mix to get rid of the ses light I put no error reported for the maf codes. Apparently, even if your sd tuned the ECM still uses the maf parameters for calculations even though it isn't in use. Thanks for the help and replies back. Thanks Chris