Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: running rich and surges when warm

Advanced Tuner
    now that the weathers nice and i have insurance on it, I took er for a drive. Still seems to be running rich though. Heres a log thats using default metric.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

Your LTFT are super negative like all the time while cruising. You don't really want that.

Do you have it on the Factory MAF table still??
    Are you still running a MAF screen?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Your LTFT are super negative like all the time while cruising. You don't really want that.

Do you have it on the Factory MAF table still??
    Are you still running a MAF screen?
    I think so I got a stock tune from the repository as my motor came with a 02 regal tune and I couldn't bypass the vats to get it to run. I could post that tune if you need. Still have screen in the maf.

Advanced Tuner
    i looked at the maf tables in a compare and they look identical. Heres a copy of my stock regal file.

Advanced Tuner
    I went through and copy/paste all that were different in the compare but I had some that went half green and pink.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I tried my hand at copying the regal tune over the gtp tune the best I could. I used the compare file and copy/pasted any differences but there were a few that were questionable as they went half green, half pink where as a proper copy goes all pink. I loaded it and it fired up but scanning it showed before 30 secs it went rich at around -17 fuel trims so I guess the tune didn't work. On a side note I have a 3" abs pipe from the throttlebody to an open cone filter in the side of the body for cold air. Could this be too small and not let enough air in for the amount of commanded fuel cause it to run rich? I can't remember if I have done a scan with an open throttlebody or not to see if the numbers are the same or not.

Advanced Tuner
    I tried disconnecting some sensors today while logging and it changed nothing. First the maf, it stumbled and almost stalled so I had to hold the throttle till it revived itself but was still running rich. Then the map and then the iat both had no effect on the engine and still logged rich fuel trims.

Are you resetting the fuel trims each time when you do this?

I'd reset them, go drive it for a little bit and see what the trims start doing.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    I was about to edit the above post with I forgot about unplugging the O2 sensor. Well I unplugged it and nothing with the fuel trims changed but there was a little stumble every now and then almost like a misfire? No I have not reset the fuel trims, didn't know I could. Thought they reset every time. So how do I reset them?

With the VCM scanner, click on the controls or the little engine picture, I forget. That should bring up a screen of what you can command with the scanner.

Advanced Tuner
    i got two logs cause on the first one later on in the drive the fuel trims stopped recording. So I shut everything down and re did it for the second log but It still went rich.

Advanced Tuner
    Bump.

Advanced Tuner
    I instaled a new fuel pressure regulator in hopes that it was my problem as it turns out, i wasted my money again. it now runs worse than before but the battery has been disconected the past two weeks that i was on holiday so mabey it needs to relern? heres a quick log from today.

Potential Tuner
    I realize this post is over 10 years old... did you ever figure this out?

Advanced Tuner
    I paid a tuner to do it so I'm not sure what all he did. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Potential Tuner
    Is there anyway you could post a log & tune? have the exact same symptoms as you... frustrating lol