Thread: L76 6ltr E38 vz thunder ute 06

Advanced Tuner

L76 6ltr E38 vz thunder ute 06

hi guys whats a gd starting point in tuning the L76 6ltr 06..done trans set up just moving onto the engine now....or does anyone have a gd starting base I could use or tips where to start, thanks. just a stockie with cat back twin 2.5"...looked at repository not much in there
    Last edited by THE CHAD; 10-19-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    played with the tune and it goes a lot better than stock, cheers getting the grips of this tuning caper hehe...which is a good thing cause will need it cause next 12mths will be building a old girl vh commodore with a ls3 416 cuber building/tuning myself with help from the old man and hoping/ it will run 10.00 cheers

Advanced Tuner
    got the ute to punch out 302rwhp good effort from cat back and tune...gd engines these L76's gd heads/bottom end torque

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate lsx tuning View Post
    got the ute to punch out 302rwhp good effort from cat back and tune...gd engines these L76's gd heads/bottom end torque
    Just wondering what timing you run at WOT to punch out your 300hp ...... Had mine run up at around 22 streamed to 25 degree's and it punched out the same hp with almost half the timing...
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

Advanced Tuner
    big daddy cool...with the standard calibration timing map she would up to a degree run in a knock condition the whole time on 98 octane on dyno and even when I logged on a normal drive, so she only ended up running 21* w.o.t and if I went another 1-2* especially 2* more she knocked and didn't end up making anymore hp...just today I filled up the tank with 100 octane e10 and on the drive not any knock at all, so I am going to put 2* in to it and see what happens...but did drop some timing 2-3* in lower load areas ie 0.08-0.28 , originally she was running 18*(w.o.t) but the map looked terrible

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate lsx tuning View Post
    big daddy cool...with the standard calibration timing map she would up to a degree run in a knock condition the whole time on 98 octane on dyno and even when I logged on a normal drive, so she only ended up running 21* w.o.t and if I went another 1-2* especially 2* more she knocked and didn't end up making anymore hp...just today I filled up the tank with 100 octane e10 and on the drive not any knock at all, so I am going to put 2* in to it and see what happens...but did drop some timing 2-3* in lower load areas ie 0.08-0.28 , originally she was running 18*(w.o.t) but the map looked terrible
    Yeh I took my car to a reputable tuner to get some of its issues sorted etc and get the mafless more dialed in and they basically stripped my timing and zeroed burst knock. Like I understand their method of tuning which is to essentially make sure the car doesn't knock under any conditions preferably but theres such a thing as removing too much. Burst knock is there from factory for a reason..... Its so you can run its proper potential timing outside like little tip in issues etc....

I just thought it was interesting they supposably made only a few kws more then mine with virtually 10 degrees less timing across the wot board not that they actually gave me the original dyno sheet before they tuned it.

They did do a good job in terms of fueling and part throttle timing..... I did learn a few things from what they did. There is really no substitute for a dyno or a professional who deals with them everyday.

Im sort of temped myself at the moment in looking into something to strap onto the motor to actually listen for audible knock..... eg. I can run my car flat out with 26 degree's with the right fueling...... and even if you run a leaner mix ..... 21-24 is well within specs. Stock the tune ran 25.5'c at 6000rpm..... tuned it now runs maybe 14-18. That to me is like turbo timing, not NA.
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 01-27-2014 at 03:20 AM.
    2017 Toyota Kluger - 10.1" Android Custom Head Unit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 85kg Roof Racks. Prev: 2009 Cammed VE SS Sedan, DOD Delete, 210/218 550', RAMJet OTR, HiFlowCats, IQ System, Amp/Speakers.

Advanced Tuner
    no before dyno run? mmm strange normally they should provide a before/after run just so they can show you where your money went hehe/ if any true gains in torque/power and drivability which is seat of the pants feed back I suppose.... 10* knocked out of it a bit but they do run on the knock sensors etc from factory so they do need a bit taken out depends on fuel quality too....fuel mixtures between the two close? may I ask why did you tune in mafless mode considering the later model cars have a lot bigger MAF then earliers models? or I noticed your running a RAMjet OTR... does the car feel any better/sharper than before the 10* was taken out? or unless you couldn't pick up any knock before, and my theory is if car doesn't make any more improvements with increased timing I don't push it leave it where it is comfortable... I always here comments like FAULSE KNOCK from the E38/E40 , when I have been in the presents of them on dyno the operator has commented that with using a chassis ear device without hesitation says that wen the E38/E40's are knocking.. then they really are.. good luck with it mate, most important thing is and I always ask/say are you HAPPY with it
    Last edited by THE CHAD; 01-27-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Tuner in Training
    l76/98 cyl head is far more efficeint than ls1 and doesnt require a lot of timing somewhere around 17-18deg to give peak cyl pressure
    burst knock is a predictive table

It is slower then before it went in in terms of driving feel and driveability was worse.... partially my fault, partially theres it was a bit rushed on their part and they didn't compare my stock tune against the one on the car despite supplying it incase they needed to check my changes first etc. So I would say they probably took out too much timing because there didn't see a few things i had changed like iat spark, and cylinder afr stuff. I went mafless just because I hate MAF.... I found it still had around 4-6% more airflow mafless atleast at lower cells anyway, maybe not wot but the lower rpm where u could do with more torque.

I'm working my way through their tune they did to workout whats best...... he did a good job on fueling and stuff so i should be able to peice it together, but i was hoping i wouldnt have to so.

Put it this way every single stock car i have seen fitted with a ramjet, no exhaust mods at all....... ran a 220-240kw..... stock and or tuned...... mine ran 220kw with slightly different headers and tuned........ I expected to see atleast a mid 240.... so I intend on looking into why its not where every other car is at....... they were all auto etc.... no different.
    Last edited by BigDaddyCool; 01-27-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Here is one I did a little while ago

Stock ute with no mods at all!
    Then fitted Xair OTR and tidy up tune

Phil
    Dynotech Industries

VZ SS Thunder STD intake vs Xair OTR.jpg

Yeh see your dyno is where they all come in at really. I think the place I took mine to .... Well I dunno WTF their deal is there..... I mean at like 1600rpm if you mash the pedal and hold in 6th on the highway the car pulsates which to me from experience is like a lack of timing and or too much fuel as it's in wot or fueling.

They were supposed to come back to me after checking over my stock tune. They never did.

It's just laziness. Anybody would look at the tune and know there's not enough timing to make any sort of power in it. I'm talking like high octane 11-13 degree's at 80g/sec on the spark table... And so on.

For me just a bad experience, dyno tuner was just like 'nah nah nah mate don't worry about putting the stock tune on just bring it in and I'll sort it out for ya' then rushed it and missed shit and ripped too much timing out because of his rushing.

Arg

Advanced Tuner
    made changes to timing 19* works well leaving it at that no more changes all is gd...loves e10 united 100