Thread: Tips and Tricks for a GM Hot Cam?

Senior Tuner

Question Tips and Tricks for a GM Hot Cam?

I've read in many places that the GM Hot cam is a bitch to tune idle on. From the specs and cam card that came with the kit I don't see where the issue would be. To me this is a really small cam. Its only a .525 with 218/227 duration. If you guys have any insight that may help out, I'm all ears. I guess I'm looking for someone that has tuned one of these that could share a little on the issues you may have encountered along the way if any. Cheers guys and thanks for looking!
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner
    Automatic or M6? I have a 6.0L GM Hot Cam tune that might get you in the ballpark

Senior Tuner
    M6 in it
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Gm ls hotcam 6.0 4l80e had a little idle problems but worked them out with some timing in the idle rpm in N and in gear, can idle it at 650rpm with only a little problem at idle but its only if the AC is on, idle it at 850rpm ac on no problems, i do have to change the tune for summer and winter, but only slightly. see my yt for idle videos ..

I have however changed this file in the idle rpm only from 750 to 900 for winter driving.. see idle timing for in park in N in D for mods to timing..
    Last edited by Monty; 10-19-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Wow that's some gap between Idle timing and High timing table! That worked out for you? I'd be trying to have the Idle Timing blend out to the High table myself. Is this one of those "issues" I've been reading about? Did you have to do it that way to get proper idle from it?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Well, yes that is what i had to do in-order to get it to idle, but the so called "correct way" is to use the throttle follower and adaptive idle adjustments, but when changed they had no affect.. so i noticed that my timing was falling off just right before it would start to stall out and stop running, so i decided to try doing it with the timing, and it worked great .

Now as far as what you have read about the issues, well, i read that hot cams had hard time getting them to idle correctly and is all i was able to find out about that. other than that, the cam is easy to tune, other problems are the idle WB being tricky because it reads rich but its not, its only because of the "overlap/reversion" of the cam that makes idle so hard to tune.

I fixed my eye burning gas smelling idle with some fuel fragrance or idle it above 900rpm. (note im running CATless) one other thing is the miss fire code it throws once idle for a few mins at low rpm "under around 900rpm" which that is once again do to the cams "overlap/reversion" and can be tuned out in the engine diagnostics.

All n all really, hotcam not hard to tune cant wait to hear how it goes and all, would be sweet to hear a sound clip of it once all done .. peace out
    Last edited by Monty; 10-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. I'm sure we'll have a vid or two after as well. haha Bro's had his Firehawk since new 2002, finally putting in what he's wanted for years. The reason for this cam is keeping it all GM
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Any Updates.. have a youtube channel ?

Senior Tuner
    Still in the box...lol I told him to get the gaskets so we could do it this week. Hes in no rush as it is winter here but he's killing me! Today he is getting the 85mm Denso Truck MAF and Caspers connector from me for Christmas. I think he will get his shit together now so we can do this, I'm dying to hear it run...
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Just an update here, the Hot Cam was very easy to tune in the end. Did the install on my bro's last week and finished putting one into mine last night. Already have both purring beautifully... also tuned a 6L Swap Chev last week with a Hot Cam and a 2500 stall without any issues. Once you get the Base Airflow correct they are very easy to dial in!
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Senior Tuner
    Modding is always such a long process for me. Got the exhaust on two weeks ago and car is now away for the season. But did get a quick vid of it before it went away! So, Hot Cam and LMII exhaust, sounds amazing in person...

2000 Trans Am WS6

I like

Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    Modding is always such a long process for me. Got the exhaust on two weeks ago and car is now away for the season. But did get a quick vid of it before it went away! So, Hot Cam and LMII exhaust, sounds amazing in person...

Sounds Nice Man

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post

Sounds awesome!
    Do you mind sharing your tune?