Thread: PE AFR LEAN? or KNOCK? Safety Indicators/LED's - WORKING

PE AFR LEAN? or KNOCK? Safety Indicators/LED's - WORKING

Since 2002 when I started boosting my LT1 I wanted ALARM LED's, visible somewhere infront of me like by the TACH, or SPEEDO, or even Windshield to let me know if something's horribly wrong... the closest I could find was SCANMASTER for LT1... it was ok... pretty useless really since it had to real time triggers/outputs.

So using the two Digital Outputs on the MVPI Pro I found a way to accurately signal a PE AFR lean condition... and also KNOCK. Very accurately!

(So far I haven't found info on how to set this up... maybe it's out there, but I got it working exactly how I wanted so figured I'd post again help someone out like me!)

Setup the way they are, they both will Trigger after a short delay or period of being lean/knocking... (in my case, either mroe than 0.4AFR lean longer than 10 frames, or more than 2 degrees KR longer than 2 frames then hold the RED/LED ON condition long enough that you should be able to see it... then clear on it's own. I figure it's nice to auto clear since this way you will likely see it clear all by itself during one gear range, maybe 1.5 as long as the condition goes away! Also would be nice to have another stay on (out of line of site) until manually cleared so you know you have logging to do... But.. We need more settings to be able to do this... ( guess a simple arduino setup could take care of this...) With knock Alarm, Auto clear at a max of 99 frames after the situ goes away is about all you get. Still way better than running blind!

PE AFR LEAN ALARM works VERY good. It auto resets, but stay's RED long enough for me to look over at the laptop after a WOT blast to see if it was lean... then it clears itself shortly after if I was lean and now running good though only after you let off the throttle to below 105kpa.... So when you let off throttle and return to normal driving, the RED turns back to green... ready for another WOT run! I may try removing this "only reset under 105kpa" thing to see if I can still catch it during a full throttle run but normally I dont like to look anywhere but straight... so I save looking over at the laptop until I let off throttle... BUT, with a manual, during a shift... it could have time to reset that way... so we'll see.

1) PE AFR Lean ALARM:
    PE LEAN ALARM.JPG

2) PE AFR Lean Settings:
    PE LEAN ALARM Settings.JPG

3) Knock Alarm Settings: (havent had a run with knock to test.. but it should work the same way as PE LEAN trigger and release...)
    Knock ALARM Settings.JPG
    Last edited by 10_SS; 10-18-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    very nice config you got there.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Thanks, I fine tuned it.. now they work perfectly.. and self reset. I cant actually say the Knock alarm works as I don't get allot of knock.. but it should.

AFR Lean:
    Enable Frames 10: ([PID.6001] - [AUX.20121]) < -0.4 AND [SENS.30] > 110
    Disable Frames 15: ([PID.6001] - [AUX.20121]) > -0.39 AND [SENS.30] < 105

Knock:
    Enable Frames 2: [PID.2630] > 2
    Disable Frames 99: [PID.2630] <1.9
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Now that is nifty!

Thank you for creating and posting this! Something I would love to have in my own config.
    Total Masshole.
    2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost - STOCK
    2013 Mustang GT Premium - Lots of Mods, 424 RWHP SOLD
    2009 Cobalt SS/TC Black Sedan
    227whp/224wtq Stock. Dejon CP, K&N SRI, Forge BPV, Catless, BadMab Catless DP, MPx 3" Catback, HPT Tuned 328whp/425wtq. SOLD
    2004 GTO Pulse Red 1 of 512 - R.I.P. 5/31/09

Advanced Tuner
    Pretty neat idea. I wonder if there is a way to hook it up to an idiot light so you wouldn't need to look down at the laptop while driving. Not sure if the EOI works that way though...

Well done regardless though.

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. I looked around for something similar to this but hadn't found anything. I think it's all set as it is with switching the two IO ports because these "alarms" are the two output ports, meaning it is grounding the two digital Outputs when the alarms turn red... (at least it should be). All you would have to do is wire in two LED's with resistors. That was my next step but I've been messing with Arduino Christmas lights instead..

Another useful Alarm would be to trigger "knock learn" if it increments over a certain point.. say 0.1... then you would know something inst right. That actually might be more useful than just running knock alarm the way it is.. not sure. Problem is there is only two output ports, therefore only two alarms. If there were more output ports imagine all of the alarms you could have... Knock, PE AFR LEAN, high IAT, Low Fuel Pressure, Low Oil pressure, etc..

The thing I was wondering was would this still operate the ports if I loaded the config to the interface... and not using a computer at all. I would think so.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 11-27-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

That's pretty kewl!
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

So I finally hooked up two bright LED's... and they work great, however... do the Digital Outputs only function when the Laptop and Scanner are running? The Analog Inputs work stand alone... I sent the "config" to the HpTuners interface but the LED's only work when scanning... please tell me there's a way to make them work without scanning!!??

Tucked them covertly out of the way...
    HPTuners Alarm LEDs.jpg
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    +1 looking for the exact same thing atm! Any news on this (standalone output without scanning with the laptop attached) yet?
    Thanks !!

No Digital Outputs in stand alone mode according to Bill... you need a computer logging to have the outputs work. It makes them pretty useless really. Booo.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

So now I wonder who updates/writes code related to the Scanner/Enhanced IO. It took years to get the analog Inputs working in standalone mode, and since the box apparently has a CPU on it with memory, since it can in fact upload a program (your config file) and log data according to parameters you set, it should easily be able to trigger a couple lights based on the same parameters... Bill, any thoughts on this? This would be HUGE, really. However, the data logging function is extremely crude, since you have to end the data log before your memory runs out, or the data log is not saved. Still, someone had to program it. If it can do this much.. it can do a bit more.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 05-10-2014 at 11:49 PM.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires