Thread: Hard start, Backfire, High idle when started

Hard start, Backfire, High idle when started

I recently done a swap on my 80 Mustang and i am having problems with the engine cranking and cranking before it will start. Some times it will back fire while cranking some times it wont. The engine is fresh and has about two hours of run time on it in the car. Once the car does start i have been having issues with it wanting to idle at 2k rpm. The high idle part i believe is related to my TPS not staying at a learned 0%. I can do a TPS learn and set the closed throttle TPS voltage at .47V and it will read 0%. Try to start the car a few times and then it will be showing 1-2% closed throttle. The TPS senor i slotted the holes to be able to adjust the tps voltage. Also on the hard starting part i have noticed that it is getting worse. Last two times the car was started to move it i had to mist alittle ether for it to try to fire. Once it does intially fire it will stay running. I am using a Fbody harness and verified last night that the outter cam sensor wires are swapped side to side for the LS2 cam sensor. Here's a run down of what the engine is.

LS2 block 402
    Callies crank with 24x reluctor, callies rods, wiesco pistons
    compression 11.7-11.8
    Custom spec'd cam
    comp double roller timing chain set for LS2 24x
    TEA trickflow 235's
    edelbrock super Vic intake
    4150 to 4500 intake adapter
    accufab 4500 throttle body
    a1000 fuel pump
    return style regulator at 58psi
    60lbs injectors
    2' stepped to 2 1/4" headers with 4" slip on collectors and 4'' bullet mufflers
    Fbody engine harness
    04 GTO pcm
    Built 4L80e Trans with, Jakes D3 transbrake valve body, and FTI tripple disk converter

Im at work so i dont have a copy of the tune that i can post, but if anyone wants to take a look i'll post it later. Appreciate any advice on other checks to be made or potentail problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Im in the same boat so i can't help much. Except mine won't stay running more than a few seconds.

Almost an identical setup too. 404ci, 11.1:1, afr225, super vic with 4500 adapter, edlebrock 4500tb.

I had a base tune from a pro with efi, so im starting from scratch now.