Thread: Wideband Tuning

Tuner in Training

Wideband Tuning

I am going to start tuning my 06 Sierra with the 5.3L L33 in a few weekends, and had a question regarding wideband tuning while running stock manifolds. I have read that you can force open loop, and simply replace a forward O2 with the wideband rather than welding a new bung in for WOT tuning. Is this an accurate statement?

The factory narrowband sensors are OK for closed loop tuning.

Thanks
    Last edited by 06GMC5.3L; 10-17-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    06 GMC Sierra 5.3L L33, 4L60E

Tuner
    Yes you can max out the O2 readiness temps and the vehicle will remain in OL. I usually make sure I go in the scanner and reset fuel trims before I start any tuning.

Tuner in Training
    I have searched but to no avail. Does anyone have a How To for setting up an Innovate WB with HP Tuners, so that it can be set up as dual signal and send NB to the PCM, and WB to the HP software?

This is for replacing a NB sensor with a WB sensor during tuning.

Or would it be best to do the entier tune using the WB in OL, then replace the WB with the NB and do some minor adjustments to the lower parts of the tune?

Thanks
    Last edited by 06GMC5.3L; 10-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Install the WB in place of one of the front NB sensors and tune it in open loop.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Install the WB in place of one of the front NB sensors and tune it in open loop.

Russ Kemp
    Thanks, that's the plan. I want to tune for 91 as well, as it is readily available around here. I haven't found an answer as to approximately how much timing advance for higher octane. I know on 87, you don't want more than 4*, some said add 1* accross the board, but I am not sure about higher octanes.

Obvioiusly make sure there is no knock, but I am just looking for a ballpark figure.

Potential Tuner
    You can download the manuals from innovate that explain which wire to use for a wide and narrow signal and instructions on how to hook up to HP. Just google your gauge.

Tuner in Training
    How does something along these lines sound?

I am going to set my commanded AFR as 14.4 (for variation of e10 and tank to tank variation. Median between 14.7 and 14.13), and 12.95 (lambda 1.11) for PE. I plan on using the WB to tune the entire VE and MAF tables in SD, not going to WOT for both VE and MAF till everything below 4000 RPM is good. All the while logging the %errors to tune the VE and MAF tables. Then I will be tuning the timing. Them go back to closed loop, disable LTFTS, and run with only STFTS. At this point, if the VE and MAF tuning went well, my STFTS should be good and enough to adjust trim.

I might compare the lower regions of the VE and MAF tables generated with the WB to some generated with the stock NB to make sure everything matches well since the NB is good for around stoich and pre PE.

Tuner in Training
    In order to cammand 14.4 AFR, I would have to set the OL & CL EQ Ratio table to 1.019 rather than 1 for columns 140-230? Then set the PE EQ table to 1.11 in order to command 12.95.

Tuner in Training
    Does this sound correct, or am I misunderstanding the function of some of the tables:
    Set main AFR to 14.4
    1. Tune VE and MAF in OL SD with WB as follows.
    a. Set OL EQ ratio to 1 for 140*-230*.
    b. Set PE EQ ratio to 1.11 (14.4/12.95).

2. Go back into CL, and keep my OL and CL EQ ratio to 1 (140*-230*) so my PCM continues to look for the main stoich value while cruising.
    a. Keep my PE EQ ratio to 1.11 using the PCM stoich value/desired PE AFR (14.4/12.95).

3. Disable LTFTs, and run only CL STFTs. STFTs should be sufficient for trimming now if my VE and MAF tuning went well.

Thanks a ton for all the help.

Edited according to a new understanding of how everything works.
    Last edited by 06GMC5.3L; 10-24-2013 at 12:47 PM.