Thread: Tuning a "boosted" car with a 1 bar map: Potential issues???

Tuning a "boosted" car with a 1 bar map: Potential issues???

Basically, I'm finishing up a friends car..... its been a LOOOOONG process btw. Car has had numerous "little" issues but overall she getting there.

Anyways, its a stock ls1 with a maggie mp112 blower. It still has the stock 1 bar map sensor and I was wondering what kind of pitfalls or issues one might notice (if any at all) when tuning a car such as this.

I was just wondering and at the sametime I'm trying to educate myself as to when I mention to him (again for the millionth time!) that he needs a 2 bar sensor I want to be able to understand the real necessity.

Thanks!
    Last edited by obzidian; 10-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Tuner
    as far as I know, if you keep the 1 bar(15psi) map then you will be limited in overall boost you can tune for. when in boost you can easily go over the pressure ratings for the 1 bar sensor, in other words if you have a 1 bar map and your exceeding 1 bar pressure, shit cant account for it. like having an inch pound torque wrench rated for 2-50inlbs and your trying to torque some lug nuts to 300ftlbs with it....wont be accurate in the least. why don't you go ahead and post your latest log and tune. and tell your buddy to buy a map sensor able to handle boost. also I have no idea what im talking about

Advanced Tuner
    As long as you don't max out the maf you can tune it no problem
    1997 Trans Am WS6 - LS1 swap - TR224 - Pacesetter Longtubes - Yank SS3600
    - 3.42 Moser 12 bolt - Wilwood Brakes - HP Tuners tuned - P1SC-1 Procharger

Right... It's really close.

Thanks!

EDIT: NEVERMIND! I selected the proper pid in the scanner.

Hey....

Quick ?? stock 2000 ls1 + mp112, stock map sensor.

The kpa reading in the Table Display is different than the kpa reading in the Chart Display.

For example, with the key on, engine off the table reads: 101 kpa while on the chart it reads 349 kpa.

At idle (175*) table readys 39-41 kpa however the chart is at 104-112 kpa.

Also, the ve-LTFT/STFT in the histogram matches the reading in the chart, not the table.

Something to do with running a 1 bar sensor with the blower?

Screen shots:

MP112 KOEO 1 Bar Map.pngMP112 Idle 1 Bar Map.png

Currently the cal in MAF-only, ltft disabled, closed loop however the screen shots are in open loop.
    Last edited by obzidian; 10-10-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Senior Tuner
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Potential Tuner
    A 1 bar set up only reads to zero and a 2 bar will read to 15 pounds of boost. Without a 2 bar set up your computer will only compensate up to where it reads and then cannot make accurate adjustments from there. It is essentially using the info it has up to its limits to guess for the rest.