Thread: Before I Buy

Tuner in Training

Before I Buy

I dont like paying someone for work that I can do. BUT with this tuning thing, I am a total noob. I am reading and researching and learning as much as I can before I pull the trigger and purchase.

To give perspective on what I am working with, I have a 98 Silverado and am in the process of doing an 01 LQ4 motor and 4L65E swap with a 411 PCM. ALL from the same donor vehicle. It is all stock either for now or I will find another LQ4 and build that one up.

I do have a couple of questions.

1: If I go into the PCM and change the Fans, VATS, Emissions & Gear Ratio, Will the stock, "OEM" tune if you will, stay in there? Basically get my truck started and driving like it would as if I didnt touch it other than disable features I dont need?

2: I saw how to change fan 2 pin, but can the fan 1 pin be activated on pin 42 on blue connector with HP?

Thanks in advance

Tuner in Training
    I just want to add that I already added efans to my truck. I have 2 relays. One coming from the AC request signal on the PCM for one fan and the other is on a switch for when I need it sitting in traffic so I can turn on at will.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Once a new tune is flashed in thats whats in there, nothing more, nothing less. What we recommend doing is reading your pcm & saving your stock file so you always have it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I understand that but what I am getting at is can I keep running on the stock tune and just tune out the items listed above as well as change the fan settings? I dont want to change the tune for the motor just yet. I need to learn all of that in order to go that far. I have learned about all the easy on off features. except for changing the pin location for fan #1.

Senior Tuner
    Yes,
    You read out and save Stock tune.
    Then you make only the changes you want to stock tune, ie fans vats emission etc,
    save that as a new tune then flash to vehicle.That tun
    e will be the same as your stock tune except for the items you changed.

Tuner in Training
    Thats what I was looking for. im sure thats what Bill was saying but I wasnt following. Thank you for the clarification.

Im still still lost on the fan setup. I understand fan #2 but how do you activate fan #1.