Thread: New Ultimate Tuning Guide for GM

Tuner in Training

New Ultimate Tuning Guide for GM

If you are connected to the Ford Tuning world, maybe you have heard of LaSota Racing Technologies. We have a very successful and comprehensive collection of Ford EFI tuning guides, including a guide for HP Tuners for Fords. Many Ford tuning shops and Ford self-tuners use our books as a reference.

Introducing the newest member of the Ultimate Tuning Guide family: The Ultimate GM EFI Tuning Guide for HP Tuners Software. In this Guide, LaSota Racing teamed with Bryan Herter of PCM for Less, guru of GM tuning, and Brady McCoy Chief Calibrator of Pickups Plus Cars. Byan as many of you know has been a one of the best in the GM world for a long time now. Brady’s Pickups Plus Cars is the premier Central Ohio tuning and performance shop, specializing in custom builds, fabrications and tuning really difficult cars.

This guide is the one of the most comprehensive GM tuning guides available outside of GM itself. In it, you learn to tune from basics to advanced techniques. As we all know, HP Tuners software is the gold standard for GM tuning.
    Go here for more: http://www.lasotaracing.com or see our Facebook Page and ‘like’ us for an introductory discount: https://www.facebook.com/lasotaracing# On FB you can save $10 per copy, this includes free shipping within the USA!
    We would like to extend the sale price to forum members who are not part of Facebook. For the sale pricing, go here: http://www.lasotaracing.com/MOHPGMTuningGuideSALE.html

As with our other Tuning Guides a downloadable protected .pdf file is also available, though not at sale pricing. Note: it is copy protected, and administered by Drumlin Security in Great Britain. You do need Javelin reader to access the file, available from Drumlin. You cannot print the .pdf copy and it is limited to use on two devices.

We will also soon be available in Apple’s iBooks store and for NOOK by Barnes and Noble. Keep your eyes open for it in the near future.
    2006 Mustang GT
    LaSota Racing Tech
    HP Tuners Ultimate Tuning Guide

Tuner
    We will see! I has to better then the money I have spent on many of the others
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Tuner in Training
    Will it be available on kindle?
    2013 GT500 Black w/Black Stripes : Track Pack, Performance Pack, Navigation, Recaro Seats, CF 127mm JLT CAI, FRPP Monoblade, 2.4 Upper, 15% Lower, ID1000, L&M NSR Cams, Kooks Headers, Kooks Offroad X, Roush Axle Back

1998 Camaro Black : Forged 6.0 Block, D1SC 15lbs, 317 Heads, custom cam, meth, etc, etc

1996 Camaro Red (sold) : Forged 383, Brodix Heads, Custom Cam, 175 shot Nitrous, etc, etc

Tuner
    Book got her in less then two days from ordered time. I wil try and get some time with it this weekend!
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Potential Tuner
    just ordered the book cant wait.

Tuner
    OK the car I plan on trying this new system on is up and running. And after days of searching and reading the book I still have no good numbers to input for the Zeutronix WB I bought and installed in the car.

I found one thread but it was from 2005 and did not have a true out come.

Can we get some data?
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

info readily available online:
    http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.shtml

AFR 21.0 to 9.5 Wideband
    Analog Wideband Output 0 - 5V

reading reading reading:
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...d-in-Hp-Tuners

spoonfed links:
    http://www.thetuningschool.com/downl...and_offset.xls

HPTUNERS FORMULA (Use this)

VOLTS + 9.5
    1966 impala. L29 454. 0411 pcm. 2.5" twin system. comp cams XR282HR. ported heads. 1.75 rollers. 60lb deka injectors. bosch 044 pump. standard intake (cos' looks cool in a 66')

Tuner
    And yet my search's brought me back to this

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ight=zeitronix

Please read, read, read
    Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 08-26-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

As for connecting the wide band to HP tuner's interface, there are just two wires; the white one to terminal #1 and the ground wire,
    sometimes brown and sometimes black, is connected to terminal #5. What you connect to terminal #1 is automatically enhanced
    input #1 on your scanner display table. This is the input that you must configure to convert the voltage output from the wide band
    oxygen sensor controller into a correct Lambda reading, which is the same formula for all Zeitronix units (see attached). Then you must
    create a Lambda Error PID that is a user-defined PID equal to the wide band lambda output reading divided by "commanded lambda",
    which is in turn equal to the HP Tuner's-defined PID of "AFR Commanded High Resolution (PID.6001)" divided by 14.629, or whatever your
    stock GM PCM value for stoichiometric AFR is (and I disagree with people who say that you should change the stock value in the PCM
    just because ethanol blends have a lower AFR at stoichiometric). Leave the value stock as GM put into the PCM!

Also attached are screens for setting up the MAF and VE tuning histograms so that you can record lambda error into them when tuning so
    that you will know which values to adjust and by how much (just multiply the values in your PCM tables by lambda error - which will make
    them larger if you are running too lean, and will make them smaller if you are running too rich. What makes this so simple is that lambda
    error is exactly equal to the multiplier that you must use to correct the table values in both the MAF and VE tables. KEEP in mind, you must make some changes to your base tune before logging to calibrate MAF so that VEs and closed loop fuel trims do not interfere with your wide
    band readings, and the same is true when logging to calibrate VEs so that closed loop fuel trims and MAF readings do not interfere with your lambda readings. These changes are discussed on the forum in various places.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 08-29-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Two excellent books on how to use HP Tuners that everyone should own are:

(1) "The Ultimate GM Tuning Guide for HP Tuners" by Don LaSota $80

(2) "Master EFI Tuner - GM EFI" by Dan Maslic $45

I consider these two books pretty much essential for beginners to learn how to tune correctly.

Greg Banish's first DVD on how to set up HP Tuners and tune MAF and VE (not his 2nd more advanced tuning DVD) is awesome.
    His approach of using Lambda Error is simpler than using AFR error (less computations) as you will be instructed to use by other tuners.
    You can buy the DVD through Summit Racing, Amazon.com, and other places. It will save you a lot of time and stress.
    Last edited by JamesLinder; 08-29-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Tuner
    Yes i have all of those and many more. I "Began" EFI tuning in 99 I am always reading and searching for better results. When I began it was said to be heresy to even touch a MAF table.

I got it figured out with the help from the links above. The HPT formula worked with a little fine tuning. BTW there is only ONE wire to hook up and that is the white wire.

right now i am pretty sure I am fighting bad injector info. I have found lately 90% of the problems I am running into is not having correct injector data. When you can find it the info is in the wrong format or does not cross over well

James nice doc's!
    Last edited by TwoFast4Lv; 09-01-2014 at 03:18 AM.
    Ellis
    Speed Secrets

95 Z28 18* LTx
    95 Z28 LSx converion
    03 CCSB 4x4 D/A

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesLinder View Post
    Greg Banish's first DVD on how to set up HP Tuners and tune MAF and VE (not his 2nd more advanced tuning DVD) is awesome.
    Since I own neither but was planning to pickup both Calibrated Success DVDs soon, can you clarify? So the Advanced Tuning DVD is only worthwhile under cetain conditions?
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

You should look at the description for the advanced DVD and see if you are going to need it; I think it deals with boosted tuning
    where you have either supercharger or turbocharger. The first DVD does not cover this, it is more fundamental for the beginner.
    The two books I refer to would be money well spent for the beginner and intermediate tuner and covers a lot more than the
    1st Banish DVD. Greg's 1st book is also excellent for beginning tuners trying to put it all together.

Advanced Tuner
    My Dan Maslic book came in the mail today... Don's book and Greg's Basic DVD are also enroute. It'd be nice if Dan's book was in color so the references to color and graphs were easier to interpret. The engine tuning chapter is only 15 pages, and is a little more vague than I expected in that section, but I enjoyed the case studies. I'll read over it again to see if I grasp it better. It references enabling OL and setting AFR to the same value everywhere to calibrate MAF & VE... I thought that was an outdated methodology? I like the idea of using timing advance vs vacuum to find optimal timing based upon max vacuum at part throttle... any ideas on the easiest way to setup that workflow? Could it be done in a histogram?

Edit: I received Calibrated Success Basic today. Skimmed through the video at work, and reviewed the 12 sets of injector data on the 2nd disc. Other than just a couple small nuggets of new information on the video, and no immediately usable data on the second DVD, so far I feel it was an expensive mistake.

Edit 2: I watched Greg's DVD all the way through last night. I didn't get much use out of it that wasn't already covered in his books from a few years ago. Almost all that information has already been discussed on this forum, and I feel there are even more efficient ways to do do some things than the way Greg described them in the video. If you need accurate injector characteristics for the limited set of injectors included on the data disc, or if you learn better by watching instead of reading, or if you plan to take one of his classes which requires you already have reviewed this specific material, then I say the DVD is for you. Else save your money and just buy his books. If I could, I would return it, but you don't know exactly what you get until you open the package which makes it non-returnable.

I received Don's sprial bound book yesterday from Amazon, didn't get started on it until after I finished Greg's video so I've only read through Chapter 3.
    Last edited by JimMueller; 09-11-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Tuner in Training
    What are your impressions on Don's guide?

Advanced Tuner
    I like the way it's written and the detail covered for the most part. I feel there are some areas for improvement, but I feel that way about Maslic's book also. I wrote a summary of the covered topics in the book and I'm waiting for Don to approve the content before I post it.
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Tuner in Training
    I went ahead and bought it last night.

Tuner in Training
    JimMueller or others....any updates on your review & experience tuning per Don LaSota's "Ultimate GM EFI Tuning Guide for HP Tuners Software."

I'm also seriously considering "The Tuning School" guide + laminated references + DVD.