Thread: Chasing a KR Issue... Need Help (log/tune/config posted)

Potential Tuner

Chasing a KR Issue... Need Help (log/tune/config posted)

I have been chasing a pesky KR issue for the past few days, and I have no other ideas. This is a 2009 LNF with stock turbo, fully bolted. I have the maf calibrated using the methods posted here, and they seem to be within 1% +/-, which I have found to be ideal. I have my DAL tables set to the max values that I came up with after some research and trial and error. Modified a few other areas to match, and after a few good logs, I am seeing 23psi max, tapering to a solid 21-22... which I am happy with. but every now and again, I feel the ECU pull timing, and it stutters or doesnt fully boost at WOT (watching my gauge and the chart display on the scanner), and wondering if anyone has any ideas to smoothen out my tune/config.

NewConfig.cfg
    newest one.hpl
    19 - Startover, best tune + new maf cali.hpt

That is the config file I use to scan, and the tune I loaded... followed by the scan of that tune. I took the KR table, copied it into the tune file and hit "past special" then subtract. I uploaded the revised version, logged, and had MORE KR in the same range. So I am going to work off the prior version since it was a cleaner boost level and lower KR.

So that is where I am at? Am I way off base, am I close? Does anyone have any insight, or see any glaring problems. I just started doing my own tuning this summer, and am still learning the fine details. I have watched countless videos, read all the how-to threads on here, done tons of logging and playing with the tune. But I feel like I am doing something completely wrong, or just missing something big. Any help would be appreciated, or hints. Or chocolate.
    Last edited by PsychoGenius; 09-23-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Anyone? I seafoamed it, changed the oil, changed the spark plugs, filled up with a new tank of gas (94, tuned for 93). Going to data log more on the way home, then take a look at where it is sitting. I am just wondering if it is my KR thats causing the wonky boosting.. or something else that is causing it to boost weird, and in turn creating KR.

Damn circles.

It has always seemed to me the knock sensors had to learn down a bit after every flash. I saw results similar to yours even reducing timing on the LNF even on 60% E.

If you have access to E85, spash in 4 gals, let your fuel trims shift positive until they settle and see if the KR goes away. This will help you determine if it is real or false by raising the octane several more points.

Any intake/charge pipe rubbing the subframe, engine ect. can cause false knock. Look it over well.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Potential Tuner
    Thank you, yes I will be checking the motor for anything loose. I as well just basically went back to stock timing and started it over. Got it down to 1-2* and my MAF calibration is a little off now with the new plugs. Ill finish the logging/timing tweaking (basically going up by 1 each time till I find the sweet spot), then going to do a final Maf cali routine. Its boosting smoother already, holding better and spooling earlier. Got rid of the stumble, it feels alot stronger right now. We shall see how it does by the end of the night, then off to Castrol Raceway on Friday!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if you have an aftermarket clutch with a puck design it will make the cyl 4 kr go crazy. clutch noise is the most common signal error for cyl 4.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Thankfully I am still on the stock clutch. I have managed to get my KR down to 1-2* consistently now while still doing the maf calibration. Once that is done today, plugging in the solenoid and running it a bit hopefully will smoothen it out. My last ditch effort is to assume that the 94octane at petro is just a bit under that... so I will try an octane booster tomorrow after everything else is done and see the effects on that. Other than that, I am not too worried with that little KR, as it used to be 5-6* and fixing the timing tables and a couple other smoothenings in the tune really cut it down. So I am happy

Get rid of the octane junk and mix a little E85.... I run E20 with 15lbs boost and got rid of the knock.
    http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

i have headphones plugged into an external device with its own knock sensors. my kr control is turned off and it registers 3-5* in the ecu before it ever becomes audible in the headset. this ecu has downsides when fine-tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    i have headphones plugged into an external device with its own knock sensors. my kr control is turned off and it registers 3-5* in the ecu before it ever becomes audible in the headset. this ecu has downsides when fine-tuning.
    yeah like oversensitive knock sensors...
    2008 Sky RL

not a whole lot of transient control, torque modeling is half available, knock reduction is maybe a 1/3 visible, alternate dimension axis control like baro & iat axis to make more dimensional corrections.

its still a good ecu as timing can be controlled fairly well and fuel doesnt wander a whole ton.