Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with 04 silverado 5.3 to ls376/480 engine tuning.

Tuner

Need help with 04 silverado 5.3 to ls376/480 engine tuning.

so let me start by stating this is an o4 Silverado 4wd that had a 5.3 in it. I blew up the 5.3 and just got done putting a crate ls3 in it. I kept the o4 ecm and purchased a crank trigger converter from lingenfelter. im having trouble tuning it. if I try and tune just ve or just maf it wont let me give much more than 50 percent throttle before shutting my throttle body down. im kind of lost right now so some help would be appreciated. im also maxing my ve table out, I believe I have the right injector data so im not sure whats going on there either.

6.2 VE only tester.hpt6.2 maf+ve 3rd.hpl6.2 maf only.hpt6.2VE 1st.hpl6.2 MAF+VE.hpt

Senior Tuner
    your ve only tune has maf enhanced custom operating system for starters. post your stock tune. What injectors do you have?
    Last edited by mecanicman; 09-22-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Tuner
    it has stock ls3 injectors, 42lb I think. when you say stock tune do you mean before the 6.2?

Senior Tuner
    yup

Tuner
    first one is stock tune, second is still with the 5.3 but with cam and other little stuff.

superchipstocktune DO NOT DELETE.hptstall+timinb.hpt

Senior Tuner
    still running stock fuel pressure regulator?

Tuner
    as far as I know the only fuel pressure regulator is in the pump module in the tank. so yes stock fuel system, I was thinking of checking my rail pressure after work tomorrow.

Senior Tuner
    your stock truck should have had a fpr on the injector rail. If you have swapped out the injector rail, what did you replace fpr with? Its not in the tank.

Tuner
    its using a stock ls3 injector rail

Senior Tuner
    did you add a corvette filter/fpr?

Tuner
    well if your saying what I think your saying I might not have a fuel pressure regulator. there isn't one on the rail on the ls3, I never noticed one on my 5.3 rail. if I don't have a fuel pressure regulator im defiantly an idiot. which is probably the case

Senior Tuner
    I could be wrong, but I believe 2004 still had fpr on the rail. Do you still have your old rail to check?

Tuner
    no I have added nothing to the fuel system. it is running the stock 04 Silverado fuel system aside from the ls3 fuel injectors and fuel rail. when I get to work tomorrow I will look at my 5.3 injector rail because I could have sworn there was no pressure regulator on it.

Tuner
    alldata shows a vacuum pressure regulator on the rail in an o4 Silverado but im almost positive I had no vacuum line to my rail just a fuel line.

Senior Tuner
    This is a pic of 01-07 5.3 fuel rail. You can see the supply and return. I just went out to the garage and looked at my 2004 6.0, and it has a return.

Tuner
    yes but my fuel rail has no return line. just a supply, im trying to find a pic online, all my parts are at the shop where I work

Tuner

Tuner
    btw I appreciate your help

Senior Tuner
    Ok, here are 3 files. Names should be fairly explanatory, copy the data back to base when ve and maf are tuned. Look them over before you use them, make sure all the drive by wire matches, use at your own risk.

Your tune is out, by a lot. I re-enabled close loop. Build a new config. Rpm, map, stft both banks, tps, commanded afr high res. Add in your wideband and afr error. (Build another with no map, add maf hz but otherwise the same. Do the same as below but on the maf table)

Plot the stft on the map table in histograms, restrict afr greater then stoich(if your commanded stoich is 14.7, filter data so only afr greater the 14.68 is used).

plot the afr error on the map table histograms, use same restrictor except less the 14.68 so only plots data when you are in power enrichment.

This will allow you to drive around in closed loop and still dial the tune in, what you posted your driving around way to rich
    Last edited by mecanicman; 09-24-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Tuner
    here is todays ve log. I made some small changes to the ve table before I stuck her in but the difference it made was definitely a step in the right direction. thanks

376vetuning.hpt6.2 VE mechanicman tune.hpl