Thread: 16 MPG city driving like a grandma?

Tuner in Training

16 MPG city driving like a grandma?

I know this is not the car of choice for fuel economy, but this is my daily driver. Maybe I'm wrong, but I sure expected that I would be able to get better gas mileage out of it than 16 MPG. I was thinking more like 18-19. I am using DFCO to its fullest potential as confirmed by my wideband. This is based on what I would describe as 90% city driving, but really does not get much better with 50/50 highway/city. I don't get much more than 200 miles on the tank before the light comes on. I have attached my tune and a simple log if that helps. I am running open loop and all is tuned to deliver a lambda of 1. What am I missing here or is this all that I can expect to get out of this set up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1999 Black Trans Am M6
    SLP lid, LS6 Intake, Pacesetter Longtube Headers, Off-Road ORY, Flowmaster 80 Series, Torquer V2 (232/234, .595/.598 on a 112 LSA), 25% UDP, 241 heads, !EGR, !AIR, WS6 Speedline wheels, Monster Level 2 clutch kit, Hurst Billet Plus shifter, 4.10's, tuned by me!

Tuner in Training
    Forgot to add config. Also note that the car in question is in my signature.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1999 Black Trans Am M6
    SLP lid, LS6 Intake, Pacesetter Longtube Headers, Off-Road ORY, Flowmaster 80 Series, Torquer V2 (232/234, .595/.598 on a 112 LSA), 25% UDP, 241 heads, !EGR, !AIR, WS6 Speedline wheels, Monster Level 2 clutch kit, Hurst Billet Plus shifter, 4.10's, tuned by me!

Tuner in Training
    I would run more timing in the low load areas. Using the stock timing values from say 0.32g/cyl and lower would probably help. Blending it in with the timing you want a higher loads and idle of course.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback

Tuner in Training
    Ok I will give that a try and hopefully that will help my mileage. The bucking is also quite annoying with this cam.
    1999 Black Trans Am M6

Tuner in Training
    getting your AFR and timing correct will help with the bucking.

Also the more accurate your tune is the more efficient the motor is going to be. The more efficient your motor is less it has to work which will give you better MPG.
    2013 GT500 Black w/Black Stripes : Track Pack, Performance Pack, Navigation, Recaro Seats, CF 127mm JLT CAI, FRPP Monoblade, 2.4 Upper, 15% Lower, ID1000, L&M NSR Cams, Kooks Headers, Kooks Offroad X, Roush Axle Back

1998 Camaro Black : Forged 6.0 Block, D1SC 15lbs, 317 Heads, custom cam, meth, etc, etc

1996 Camaro Red (sold) : Forged 383, Brodix Heads, Custom Cam, 175 shot Nitrous, etc, etc

Senior Tuner
    You've cracked the 230 duration man, I would not use WB or O2's to tune idle anymore. Something I got from here... set PE enable to 0 up to 1200 RPM. Then in Then set PE to 14.7 or 14.2 for the E stuff in that idle area as well. Load it... then open live controls, AFR commanded. Set it to the same value you have in your tune for stoich and enable it, take control. Increase the AFR commanded until the car starts to sputter a bit, then back it off a couple of points until you find the cars runs the way you want. Say you made it to 16.5 commanded, take the % difference between your set AFR and the AFR your now commanding. You will have a value of let's say .8 Go into your VE table and apply this factor, multiply by % for the first three columns. Remember to adjust your secondary VE table to match your changes in the main VE. Blend it out after the first three rows and you'll have a perfect idle/return to idle every time. No need for any O2 input at all, really its a little "old school meets new school" but it works!!
    2000 Trans Am WS6