Thread: Crankshaft Position Relearn Problems 5.3

Tuner in Training

Crankshaft Position Relearn Problems 5.3

I switched PCM's on my 5.3 and the SES light comes on with the code to relearn the CPS. It runs fine but I do a case relearn to remove the code. With the vehicle at idle I hit "Begin" on the case relearn which tells me to gradually accelerate until fuel cut off. I do all of this and the screen goes back to Begin like everything is fine but I still have the light on and the code is still to relearn it after I clear it. Any ideas????

Senior Tuner
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/

CASE Learn: To use the CASE learn function please follow these steps:
    Ensure the engine is at normal operating temperature (ECT > ~65C).
    Put the vehicle into park (auto) or neutral (manual).
    Turn off all accessories and A/C.
    Turn the vehicle off.
    Apply the parking brake.
    Press the brake pedal. Keep the brake pedal depressed during the entire procedure. REQUIRED for successful test completion
    Start the vehicle and let it idle.
    Press Begin.
    Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff (around 4000-5000 RPM's) over a period of about 4 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle.
    Allow the engine to come back to an idle.
    Turn the ignition off for at least 15 seconds. This step is required for the VCM to store the newly learned configuration.
    Last edited by planethax; 09-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I am able to do all of this with the exception of the parking brake and brake pedal. This is in a tube chassis rock crawler with no parking brake and the brakes are in no way connected to the computer. My original PCM did not throw this code so there must be some way to get rid of it. Is there a way around the brake part of the case relearn?

Advanced Tuner
    What code did you get number wise. I think it is turned off in my tune because when i first installed my motor with a standalone harness I had some problems and they sent me 2 different pcm's and I never had any codes for that. I never had to do a case relearn. mine is a 2004 5.3 in a 1992 chevy pickup with a gmc 1999 pcm.

Senior Tuner
    Either install a brake switch or look at your wiring diagram and find the Pin at the Pcm and simulate one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlowry View Post
    I am able to do all of this with the exception of the parking brake and brake pedal. This is in a tube chassis rock crawler with no parking brake and the brakes are in no way connected to the computer. My original PCM did not throw this code so there must be some way to get rid of it. Is there a way around the brake part of the case relearn?

Tuner in Training
    P1336 is the error I am getting.

Senior Tuner
    Turning DTC off in not a good option it is there for a reason.
    Either install a brake switch or look at your wiring diagram and find the Pin at the Pcm and simulate one.

Advanced Tuner
    my p1336 code is set to mil on first error and ses enabled.i am not sure how they did it. With all the ls swaps you would think there would be an easier way to do this. Give these guys a call http://justchevytrucks.com/lsxengineswap.html and ask for Stu a very cool guy and he will help you out.