Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ls2 Knock Sensors on a Ls1 Pcm?!?!?!

Tuner in Training 1999FirehawkLs1's Avatar

Ls2 Knock Sensors on a Ls1 Pcm?!?!?!

I Have a C5 Zo6 w a Ls2 Long Block in it w Ls2 Knock Sensors on it, the Pcm is the cars Stock 03 Pcm

Now the sensors are all hooked up but they dont read at all, not matter the timing put it the Tune it will not pick up spark knock.....

Is there anyway to Calibrate them to work correctly w Hp Tuners or EFI Live or and software out there or am I going to have to install Ls1 Knock Sensors on the side of the Block and go from there?!

Thx
    03 Zo6 Ls2 w some Tricks n $hit
    99 Hawk 427ci Ls7
    03 SS Silverado DD

I would love to know as well gonna run into this soon, has to be a way unless just running LS1 style sensors on the side of the block where the ls2 sensors plug in? Not even sure if the thread size is the same

You can use Ls1 Sensors on the sides of the block, We've done it before while installing Ls2's and Ls3's in F-Bodies, your have to possible drill and tap a exsiting threaded hole on the block, depends on the headers your running if the sensor would be in the way or not.

I Havn't looked in to where I could put the Ls1 Sensors at in my Vette yet I was trying to see if I could use whats already there and just plug in Hp Tuners and change a setting first.

My Zo6 came w the Ls2 in it and I noticed they had the Knocks hooked up but not Functioning
    99 Hawk 427ci Ls7
    03 SS Silverado DD

Senior Tuner
    2 different types of sensors with different types of output. They cannot be tuned to work. Other software has the ability to change between them on some o/s, hpt does not.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    2 different types of sensors with different types of output. They cannot be tuned to work. Other software has the ability to change between them on some o/s, hpt does not.
    Do you happen to know what the other software is by chance?
    99 Hawk 427ci Ls7
    03 SS Silverado DD

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLs1 View Post
    Do you happen to know what the other software is by chance?
    Tunercat.
    98 GMC Twin Turbo 5.0, 4L80e, Moser 60, 4:10s,

I've seen that option in EFILive too, I'm sure, although I don't use it all that often.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01 View Post
    I've seen that option in EFILive too.
    You're right. I also own EFILive and forgot that parameter was in there.

Jeff
    98 GMC Twin Turbo 5.0, 4L80e, Moser 60, 4:10s,

I have access to EFI Live......how does one go about changing the tables to make them work correctly?

I might be putting a 200 shot on this car soon...
    99 Hawk 427ci Ls7
    03 SS Silverado DD

Senior Tuner
    Engine Calibration-Spark-Knock-Parameters-Type of Knock sensor, then its a switch, resonant or flat responce. I believe it also requires repining the pcm.

Senior Tuner
    Mecanicman, have you ever seen an E38 OS that can use the older resonant style knock sensors in the lifter valley of an LQ4? I don't see this setting in EFILive in the 2010 Camaro OS, and I also don't see it in any Gen 3 OS's. If so any idea what the pcm pinout change would be?
    Last edited by MikeOD; 09-14-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    ...I guess it doesn't really matter. I can drill/tap the LQ4 block to accept the newer knock sensors, then I'll just start with the values from an LY6 (iron gen 4) tune in the PCM.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    I believe the option is available for all 512 and 1 mb pcm(0411 and p59). I have never seen it listed for e 38.

Theres your description on what to do and how to set it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Thanks guys!
    99 Hawk 427ci Ls7
    03 SS Silverado DD

1999FirehawkLs1 any update about this
    what sensors did you used LS1 or LS2 ?
    was it working with you ?

Advanced Tuner
    I just used 8.1L numbers in my tune with stock knock sensors on the sides. the 8.1 uses the resonate style sensors on the sides of the block. I get knock in the same areas while data logging as I use to on my old motor with same timing table.
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

SO to bring back an older thread.... i now see HPT has the capability of changing the gen 3 "resonance" type sensors to the gen 4 "flat response" two wire ones; SO im assuming, I can use LS2/LS3 knock sensors on my 06' P59 (LQ9) PCM as long as the tune is changed properly, AND the PCM is repinned along with the proper two wire connections made to the gen 4 sensors...correct? just wondering if anyone has done this successfully on a gen 3- we all know how sometimes these little changes can brick the PCM, amongst other issues i can see in doing this blindly...

basically, I DO NOT want to:
    1. run with no knock sensors
    OR
    2. run with ineffective, hypersensitive, or ineffective knock sensors (as stated, knock sensors are very carefully calibrated electronics, which i cannot assume being moved to the other end of the block is very efficient for their original mapping- i understand theyll still DETECT knock, but i cannot imagine going from top, in between cylinders, in an in-line formation; to a "left and right" formation on the bottom edges of the block- that they would be effective in determining which cylinder is the culprit... this issue leads to burst knock being set off when it shouldnt, etc etc)

any feedback from those who have done this is much appreciated.

Burst knock has nothing to do with the knock sensors.... It is anticipated knock and triggers when cylinder airmass delta is beyond a certain threshold.

Also the knock sensors work hand in hand with crank position sensor to determine which cylinder is knocking. The sensors on the side of the block will work just as well as the internal sensors do. However you will have to play with the threshold settings when swapping to the LS2 sensors because the stock LS1 settings will not work.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Burst knock has nothing to do with the knock sensors.... It is anticipated knock and triggers when cylinder airmass delta is beyond a certain threshold.

Also the knock sensors work hand in hand with crank position sensor to determine which cylinder is knocking. The sensors on the side of the block will work just as well as the internal sensors do. However you will have to play with the threshold settings when swapping to the LS2 sensors because the stock LS1 settings will not work.
    yeah my bad, i meant to say attack. not trying to say i am 110% on every function of the timing retard aspect of the OS either, which is why im asking this question.

basically what i was asking for the most part is- will switching to LS2/gen 4 knock sensors A. be a benefit from tapping the block and using gen 3 relocated sensors and B. has it been done and is fool-proof, no issues and can be done on said P59 06' truck PCM? if the only benefit is the use of a more durable, newer style sensor, but no real benefit in KR function then i dont see it worth all the wiring. just trying to figure out which way im going to go on this particular build.