Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 224r tune for 5.3

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by OlympicWhite 5.3 View Post
    Gotcha. Like I said not trying to aggravate you, just trying to learn myself. I will mainly be using your file for comparison. I want to be able to honestly say I tuned my truck and it made a difference. That being said I will try your file as soon as I get time, but I don't want to be labeled as a tune beggar, so it will probably come out of the truck before the day is over with and will only be used as reference.

Thanks for the help ,

Erik
    No its fine dont worry. Everyone must start somewhere so I wouldnt feel embarrased to be labeled a tune beggar, its better you get something to reference than nothing at all. Either way if u plan on using the original file modify the airflow tables and you might need bigger injectors. Also the shift points were adjusted , well you will see the difference when you see my file.

Good luck

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cesar View Post
    No its fine dont worry. Everyone must start somewhere so I wouldnt feel embarrased to be labeled a tune beggar, its better you get something to reference than nothing at all. Either way if u plan on using the original file modify the airflow tables and you might need bigger injectors. Also the shift points were adjusted , well you will see the difference when you see my file.

Good luck
    Hey man, tried the tune out and WOW. It drove amazing. No idle issue, no surging, nothing negative so far. The only thing I am concerned about is the whole overdrive thing. What exactly is overdrive off supposed to do? The first time I pushed it (going about 40-50) it downshifted like normal overdrive off operation in a stock vehicle. The second time I pushed it (going at a relatively low speed, maybe 25 max) it felt like it let the converter spin freely until a certain rpm and it thrashed forward as soon as the rpm was hit. It pulled really hard and I let out because it acted like it didn't want to shift. Is this normal?

Advanced Tuner
    Hey man, tried the tune out and WOW. It drove amazing. No idle issue, no surging, nothing negative so far. The only thing I am concerned about is the whole overdrive thing. What exactly is overdrive off supposed to do? The first time I pushed it (going about 40-50) it downshifted like normal overdrive off operation in a stock vehicle. The second time I pushed it (going at a relatively low speed, maybe 25 max) it felt like it let the converter spin freely until a certain rpm and it thrashed forward as soon as the rpm was hit. It pulled really hard and I let out because it acted like it didn't want to shift. Is this normal?
    glad to hear that its doing great, the overdrive or "tow haul" button is used for roll racing. Lets say you are going at 30 mph and u are in 2nd gear, well when u hit the gas pedal it will take a second or two for the shift to drop to 1st and who knows if it will fall right in the power band when you do. Well lets say this time you are going at 30 mph, you hit the overdrive (which is not overdrive, its actually an entirely different tranny table in the pcm) and the converter will just spin until it catches up with the speed and the transmission will not shift until you hit the gas at WOT.. let me show you a video or two of how it works:

heres another video of the tow haul tune on my buddies trans am

check it out at :33

if you dont give it gas all the way to WOT then it will not shift and is normal, once you hit the pedal to the metal it will shift.

Tuner in Training
    glad to hear that its doing great, the overdrive or "tow haul" button is used for roll racing. Lets say you are going at 30 mph and u are in 2nd gear, well when u hit the gas pedal it will take a second or two for the shift to drop to 1st and who knows if it will fall right in the power band when you do. Well lets say this time you are going at 30 mph, you hit the overdrive (which is not overdrive, its actually an entirely different tranny table in the pcm) and the converter will just spin until it catches up with the speed and the transmission will not shift until you hit the gas at WOT.. let me show you a video or two of how it works:

heres another video of the tow haul tune on my buddies trans am

check it out at :33

if you dont give it gas all the way to WOT then it will not shift and is normal, once you hit the pedal to the metal it will shift.
    Ok, I think I got it. So when I hit the tow/haul button and the converter spins freely, do I slowly pedal it up to the certain speed and then nail it, or do I just nail it regardless of where the rpm and converter are at? I feel like if I just stand in it, it will tear something up. Cool feature, but I would like to know the proper way of utilizing it.

Thanks,

Erik

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, I think I got it. So when I hit the tow/haul button and the converter spins freely, do I slowly pedal it up to the certain speed and then nail it, or do I just nail it regardless of where the rpm and converter are at? I feel like if I just stand in it, it will tear something up. Cool feature, but I would like to know the proper way of utilizing it.

Thanks,

Erik
    nothing will tear or anything like that

yea u hit the button and u get on the throttle about 50 % and the rpms will rise like if u are in neutral then just lift the rpm's to about 4000 once u are in 4000 just smash the pedal, its like having a standard car u dont have to downshift, u are already on ur power band at 4000 rpm or even higher if u want it to

Tuner in Training
    nothing will tear or anything like that

yea u hit the button and u get on the throttle about 50 % and the rpms will rise like if u are in neutral then just lift the rpm's to about 4000 once u are in 4000 just smash the pedal, its like having a standard car u dont have to downshift, u are already on ur power band at 4000 rpm or even higher if u want it to
    Hey man, is there anything in that tune file that wouldn't let my converter lock up on a cold start. The past few days it has been fairly cold between 33-50* out and my converter will take a while to lock up. After the first lock up, it is fine for the rest of the day. It is just on the first cold start of the day. I was thinking it might be the whole PCM won't let the converter lock up because it's too cold thing, but this morning when I went to work around noon it was 70* outside and it still would not lock up on the cold start. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Erik

Torque converter lock up normally is controlled by trans temp I think.

Atleast on my car it is.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Torque converter lock up normally is controlled by trans temp I think.

Atleast on my car it is.
    I thought so. Today I jumped in my truck over lunchbreak and drove around and the truck was at operating temperature, the trans was around 120-150 and it would NOT lock up at all. I let the truck cool off and when I was driving it home from work it shifted flawlessly and locked up. I'm lost.. I'm thinking, from previous experience, that it is a solenoid.