Thread: too lean at idle?? v2 5.3 ported heads 85mm intake

Tuner in Training

too lean at idle?? v2 5.3 ported heads 85mm intake

ported 5.3 heads v2 cam 601 lift 232 236 113 flat top pistons 350th tranny 4200 stall 85mm intake and throttle body all ported 202 160 valves head were really open up ported mass air flow ext. 36lb bosh injectors all in a little s10. i have my lc1 installed and have hp tuners reading the wideband threw my ac pressure line. truck never comes of lean at idle. truck is still in the tuning stages but have her a lot closer then it was. in the log i revved it a few revs and even then it dosnt come off lean much. my ltft are way off
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    You have a big air leak some where. One bank is way leaner then the other. Check your exhaust and intake out. Need to fix that before proceding.

Tuner in Training
    thanks will do. its a fresh build less then 400 miles or so. ill use the datalogger and spray carb clean around the intake and injectors and see if it changes anything. exhaust is new header gaskets brp long tubes and all new exhaust with flowmasters.

Tuner in Training
    my fuel pressure was turned down a little so i turned it back up to 60 it seem to help my ltft alot but wideband is still showing very lean. i checked and checked and could not find any vaccum leaks. used a whole can of carb clean around the intake, fogger nozzles, didnt change my a/f or the way my truck run. crap o2 maybe?

Senior Tuner
    What 85mm intake? The only one I know of is the
    Professional Products. That has some trouble with
    sealing up if you don't use the later version gaskets,
    if you don't swap the valley cover bolts to low profile
    button-heads, and if heads are decked at all you may
    see this even worse (?).

If you want carb cleaner to show you leaks, then
    you should use real time controls to lock the IAC
    position; otherwise it will try and fight you, and you
    may not hear the RPM drop.

Tuner in Training
    Yes the professional product intake. I ordered the right intake gaskets any tests I could do to check for it leaking? . Fast low profile bolts ls6 valley pan.

Senior Tuner
    Well, like I said, lock the IAC position and try your favorite
    hydrocarbon; I kind of prefer this propane weed burner
    I got from Harbor Freight; minus the venturi head it's
    just a nice long propane wand with a jet on it and a
    hand trigger.

Now there are other reasons for a bankwise lean (indicated)
    error. Things like one misfiring or lean cylinder can really
    skew things bank-bank. So can fuel distribution, the PP
    rail setup they give you is tandem rails so you'd expect
    entry side to be richer at high fuel flow than the far side;
    I tossed all the plumbing bits except connector and rails,
    and did my own Y-block feed (and I'm nowhere near as
    extreme a setup as you have).

I might suggest reverting to a known-calibration MAF
    initially, just to remove that element of potential error.
    This would not make a bankwise skew but it certainly
    holds the potential for lean error, global. You can go
    back to the big bore later and probably use the data
    from the standard MAF along with MAP & RPM to do a
    pretty good job of calibrating the ported unit, later.

Tuner in Training
    My fuel system is a aremotive intake pump 8an feed line to a 8an y to 2 6ans one for each fuel rail them each rail goes to one side of the aremotive regulator and a 6am return line at 60 psi gas pressure

Tuner in Training
    Not sure if it makes a diffrent but it's just a stocker that's ported. How exactally do I lock the iac count in hp tuners?

Senior Tuner
    The Scanner, bidirectional controls, has IAC position as
    one of them. Limited in range but adequate for idle
    twiddling. In fact I'd lock them all - spark advance,
    AFR, IAC - to make the motor run as open-loop as it
    can, no computer meddling-in-the-moment while you're
    listening for a hiccup.

Tuner in Training
    wide bad is sitll pegging leak iv cheaking to make sure my exhaust valves were sealing along with the intakes. all sealing. no exhaust leaks that i can hear. I pressurized the intake with air and found ihad a injector o ring leaking and a pin hole in the back of the professional products i didnt find before. my a/fs are still reading 22.1 and 21.5 at idle when getting into the gas itll raise up to 15 and at wot pulls its 13. any suggestions I cant find any other vacuum leaks did a compression test all between 165-175. heres a log of a new tune and the wideband...

Potential Tuner
    How did the plugs look? Plugs are a sure sign of what is going on in the cylinders. If the plugs look ok then you probably have an exhaust leak. If the plugs look lean then you could have a leak before the cylinder. The other thing that tends to lean these motor out is cleaning the maf. For whatever reason, after the maf is cleaned sometimes guys get lean codes.

FYI, the brake cleaner spraying around the intake ports doesnt always tell the whole story. Some guys have found leaks at the bottom of the ports where they were not able to spray effectively.

Tuner in Training
    I changed plugs not to long ago the plugs I took out were black as hell. on the up side I logged her today and narrow band 02s have never looked so good. I guess the port on top of my professional products throttle body isn't a water port after all any way here is my latest log still lean at idle and part crusing but 14.7 or so at wot pulls. thinking im gonna slow the rate of which the wideband reports to see if it helps any. narrow band is saying engine is pig rich at idle and cruising. I used compressed air to find leaks instead of the ol carb clean truck. by pressurizing the intake with compressed air and using soapy water I was able to find all my leaks.

Potential Tuner
    If the plugs are showing pig rich, but the wideband reports a lean or stoich conditition, it leads me to believe you have an exhaust leak. If the plugs are black and the narrowbands are reporting pig rich, but the widband says lean or stoich, then your wideband is probably seeing fresh o2 from a leak. Could be a pinhole or a bad weld at the o2 bung. Just my 2 cents...

Tuner in Training
    PROBLEM SOLVED. THINKING INNOVATED IS TO BLAME BUT NOT GONNA JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS. might call me a idiot but i welded the o2 bung in just how i got it from innovated it was about a inch and half long maybe a little shorter. but anyway i welded it in thinking the 02 didnt need to be in the stream of the exhaust becuase with the bung being that long the whole o2 is out of the stream. long story short i swapped my narrow band and wide band sensors. so the wideband was were my narrow band 02 was. the bung that was welded there was only 1/4 maybe half inch at most. started it after that and bingo started reading 11.2 instead of 21.5. i havnt looked over the instructions good but i dont remember it saying anything about cutting the 02 bung down or anything. i bet a few other poeple are having the same problems as me.

Tuner in Training
    i was just going to tell you that haha. i got the 1 inch bung from them too and never liked the idea but tried it anyways. the sensor does not go into the exhaust stream at all with their bung. doesnt make much sense to me. cut the bung down or what i did is deleted the cats and put it in the downstream o2 sensor bung.

Tuner in Training
    i have my ls1 in a s10 with all custom exhaust. why in the hell would innovative not say this in the instructions. iv read countless forums about the same problem. I feel a need to tell them all what I found out and see if it solves it for them. lol

Tuner in Training
    Well and the thing is that they do offer a smaller bung for them but they don't send you the size you need.