Thread: How to anti lag

Advanced Tuner

How to anti lag

I'm wondering how to set up an anti lag system, any help?
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

Tuner in Training
    I'm back here after several years being gone from the tuning scene, so that may be why I am not understanding, but could you be more specific? What do you mean by an anti-lag system?

Advanced Tuner
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilag_system

From what I understand, we would use timing retard to achieve it and not add fuel in the exhaust. For my motor it will allow me to press a button and rev up the engine to get more boost and release the button to go.

Tuner in Training
    I am sure that I would not know how to do this in the tune currently, however I see this as something made for turbo engines, because of the lag. This is not something that is an issue with supercharged engines, where power delivery, if anything, is totally without lag, thanks to the belt-driven design.

You state in your sig a 3800/sc. Does that mean you have the supercharged engine or the setup from a 3800 S/C but running a turbo?

Advanced Tuner
    No it's a supercharged engine right now. I see a few videos out there of the supercharged engines with a home made anti lag set up on a button. I know it's more for turbos but if you "spool" a supercharger into a better power band then you will have a better 60 foot time as you don't have to wait for the rpms to get up to max power. A supercharger still makes the most power at the high rpms as would a turbo, you just don't have to wait as long.

Senior Tuner
    SC are direct drive so they don't need to "spool' up.
    They are constant with the rpm of the engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by planethax View Post
    SC are direct drive so they don't need to "spool' up.
    They are constant with the rpm of the engine.
    Agreed, however I think the OP is referring more to having the engine in the heart of the TQ curve rather than trying to spin the s/c up (it will happen as a by-product anyway due to the nature of a s/c). If you can launch in the TQ curve, you'll have more N/A power plus have the boost ready to come on.

OP, is that what you're trying to accomplish?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Agreed, however I think the OP is referring more to having the engine in the heart of the TQ curve rather than trying to spin the s/c up (it will happen as a by-product anyway due to the nature of a s/c). If you can launch in the TQ curve, you'll have more N/A power plus have the boost ready to come on.

OP, is that what you're trying to accomplish?
    exactamundo!

Tuner in Training
    The concept of spooling an S/C engine... not going to happen, thanks to the direct connection, unlike a turbo that spins freely of the engine and has no physical connection eliminating any "traditional" way used on a turbo to do this. Superchargers have no lag, hence in my humble and uneducated opinion, there is no need for this.

The only way to do what is being asked (move the engine into a meatier part of the power band), is via a higher stall torque converter, then one can get the RPM higher while at the line and kinda-sorta "spool" the setup (though in this case, the term spool is the wrong term to use). Trust me, your bigger concern is going to be minimizing wheel spin or keeping the front tires on the ground thanks to high torque output at lower RPMs rather than any need to use anti-lag on a properly tuned and designed setup.

Advanced Tuner
    Its used to help with brake boosting... It just pulls alot of power out while still moving alot of air through the motor.

Safest way is to setup a switch that unplugs the air temp sensor, then you just subtract a large amount of timing from the -40 and -30c rows in the air temp spark table...

From a fiero forum. So how much timing?