Thread: Camaro ls3 E38 Lazy start

Tuner in Training

Question Camaro ls3 E38 Lazy start

I am running 2.24.77 and trying to add cranking fuel. Car starts great cold but when warm or hot it is slow to fire.

I can adjust the open loop tables OK. Just trying to get the comanded AFR lower when I turn the key. When I add to the attached table it really does not seem to have any efect at all??

Thanks.

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    also check your crank timing when vehicle is hot it subtracts
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Thank you.

I bumped it up at the higher temps. Here is what I have now. Any suggestions are appreciated.Cranking spark.JPG

Senior Tuner
    Post the whole HPT file.
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Here it is.

This is a 416 M6 about 11.5:1 with 245 255 cam. tsp 260cc heads.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

are you having issues with starting still?

when was the last time you remove the battery terminal for 30 mins?

Senior Tuner
    I think you need more startup airflow...based on what I see you had to do to the idle airflow table, I usually correlate a similar percentage to the startup table and usually wind up with no issues on cranking.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    are you having issues with starting still? when was the last time you remove the battery terminal for 30 mins?
    Yes I recenlty did have to remove the battery for a few days. This thing has had a lazy hot start since I built it. My cammed factory motor never had this issue. I should add that the ambient temps below 85 or so reduce the issue.
    Cold it fires up strong. But from the 160F up it just barely catches. Sometimes I have to blip the throttle to get it too catch. Like it wants more air. Which is exactly what that does! Once running in OL or CL its just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    I think you need more startup airflow...based on what I see you had to do to the idle airflow table, I usually correlate a similar percentage to the startup table and usually wind up with no issues on cranking.
    Thank you. Yes I agree, and have been adding to the table in the upper temp ranges. To where it is today. But so far no noticable improvement. I thought to look into bringing the cranking AFR down towards what it is when the motor is cold. With your comment I will bump the airflow up another 10% to see if it helps.
    Still interested in how to adjust the cranking AFR!

lean out cranking fuel in higher temps, i though you already adjusted your startup airflow

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruz-Lo View Post
    Thank you. Yes I agree, and have been adding to the table in the upper temp ranges. To where it is today. But so far no noticable improvement. I thought to look into bringing the cranking AFR down towards what it is when the motor is cold. With your comment I will bump the airflow up another 10% to see if it helps.
    Still interested in how to adjust the cranking AFR!
    Start with a larger percentage in the warmer coolant temps and then if it works, lower it back down until it's not working so well...commanding more than you need usually makes the initial flare a little ridiculous.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    What's your overlap on your cam? I had the same issues with my cammed, 2.8l s/c'd Camaro, and I ended up leaning my start up setting slightly to help with the same issue. Cams with more overlap that like higer idle speeds don't move as much air when cranking or at idle, which adding fuel ends up making hot starts too rich.