Thread: Brillant 3800 Minds Needed

Tuner in Training

Brillant 3800 Minds Needed

Hello All. I'm new to posting on the forum but I've been using my HP Tuners Pro for a few months now, simply reading and taking in everything I could. The Getting Started thread for tuning in all my LTFT's worked great, I'm going to move onto WOT tuning here soon. I've adjusted several settings recommended from the thread as well.

What I was hoping for is that someone could run through my Files and let me know if anything should be changed, modified or maybe I just got the wrong info from someone all together.

LTFT7.hpt
    midlandfairhome.hpl

After Reading a few things someone posted of a 2004 GTP tune I compared and modified my Original LTFT7 to this Version 2 but I haven't flashed it yet, so more importantly is this going to be worse or better in terms of heading in the right direction before i do another scan and then move onto the WOT tuning? I know I should know from my next scan but figured I'd use some help from people who aren't learning as they go.

Thanks A million!

LTFT7v2.hpt

My Vehicle is a 2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG (3.29gears)
    Here are my only current mods.

-3.6MPS
    -104s Autolites
    -True FWI
    -No Cat/Res.
    -Speed Daddy Headers
    -180HiFlo Stat
    -TEP ShiftKit
    -Large Trans Cooler
    -Aluminum Oil Pan
    -4thGen ZZP 10.5mm Wires
    -LS7 Lifters
    -Aeroforce Gauge
    -AEM Wideband
    Last edited by RPerry435; 08-18-2013 at 12:30 PM.

The only things I wouldnt have done were remove all the TQ Mngt and your cruise timing is super high. Upwards of 48-50 most of the time. I'm not sure if they are setup that way from the factory but it seems that anything over the mid 40's is not needed. I thought I saw a few places where it would make some KR while cruising, though it can't hurt anything there, just thought it was strange.

LTFT seems great, I'd assume they'll lock in close to zero while in WOT.

Commanded AFR and your timing seem alright, I would just start doing some WOT pulls and see what the car does.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I thought my timing was high as well it seemed like everyone was saying in the 40s and I was seeing close to 50.. Im not sure if thats something GM did to improve highway mpg because of the gearing or not.

Thus for the reason in V.2 of my LTFT file. I lowered the timing chart to what someone said was conservative before I start adjusting for knock (if any) after these first couple wot pulls, I can always start adding some back.
    Last edited by RPerry435; 08-18-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Also. I had wondered about the Torque management but basically only during shift times.

If I took the stock tables:

Retard vs. % Torque Reduction (Engine)
    % Torque Reduction vs. Engine Torque vs Shift - Normal/Performance (Trans)

and x 50% just reducing it rather then eliminating it would that make it more difficult or skew my results for WOT Maf Tune & WOT Timing? or would it simply be protecting the trans during shifting only?

Mind you maximum torque tables (RPM vs Gear,vs rpm,vs gear) would remain max'd out.
    2009 G8GT - LSA 2.8" - Stage3 PDS Cam - 3.27s - ZL1 Stall - Dual450s Returnless PWM - OBX Headers/Full Exhaust to GXP Mufflers - HR Coilovers - Full BMR/Whiteline Suspension

Tuner in Training
    Here is a hint for you... a good starting point for timing tables is a 2005 GTP. The only thing that needs to be changed is the WOT timing numbers (they're like 20-21 degrees). Bring them down to around 15-16 degrees for a start and when you do your tuning for the timing section, you can bump it up until you hit KR then back it down 2 degrees and you should be pretty close.

Low load cruise timing of 41-44 degrees is more than enough. Anything above that doesn't give any measureable benefits.
    Last edited by JerryPH; 08-22-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I looked at my stock 04 CompG and compared it to the 05, there is no difference.
    2009 G8GT - LSA 2.8" - Stage3 PDS Cam - 3.27s - ZL1 Stall - Dual450s Returnless PWM - OBX Headers/Full Exhaust to GXP Mufflers - HR Coilovers - Full BMR/Whiteline Suspension

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry435 View Post
    I looked at my stock 04 CompG and compared it to the 05, there is no difference.
    You are correct, it's my mistake... I apologize.
    I was referencing the differences in timing tables from a 97-02 GTP vs the 2005.

Advanced Tuner
    I have nothing to add other than I'm glad to see you post on here and not on that Grand Prix forum with their half baked tuning ideology
    2006 Holden Monaro I Phantom Black Metallic I Red I One of 416
    L92/L76 I Streetsweeper HTR I SLP LT I LoudMouth 2
    JHP V2 I Powdercoated Black 18s I Kyne Splitter

2001 GTP I Stock DD

Tuner in Training
    Well, I am back after a long hiatus, looking to slowly get back into having some fun tuning and off to a bad start... lol

Thanks for the kind words.