Thread: should i start with a camaro timing table???

Potential Tuner

should i start with a camaro timing table???

I swapped a 2000 5.3. I have the ve table pretty good and was wondering if I should just copy and paste a stock Camaro timing table to start. any suggestions would be helpful

Tuner in Training
    i have a 1999 5.3 in my 98 camaro running the ls1 timing tables it runs good, the ls1 was tuned and made 401 before it popped. my timing is 29 at wot

Senior Tuner
    It's not a bad place to start, but your timing may be more
    bothered by stuff like burst knock settings than the base
    timing table. And the 5.3's lesser air mass per cylinder may
    want the whole table shifted left, slightly. What your CR is,
    I dunno; that's another dimension.

I'd scrape off all the burst knock stuff, start with the
    Camaro table and then bump based on logging results.

Are you running 93 octane? Depending on your setup you'll see peak power anywhere between 23* and 30* at wot. When adding timing stop advancing after your gains fall off. For example if your able to get 6hp/degree and suddenly you get 2hp/degree stop, its not worth a few extra hp when you could be hurting the motor. Just because you can run 29 or 30* without KR doesn't mean you should.
    Also, I agree with jimmyblue, toning down burst knock or eliminating it would be a good place to start. And a factory LS1 Timing table is still relatively conservative I doubt you'll have issues. Watch your adders and multipliers though, the main spark advance might seem low but other tables can bump that number up a lot (or reduce it).