Thread: Looking for a base tune for my 5.3L TSP224 cam car

Tuner in Training

Looking for a base tune for my 5.3L TSP224 cam car

Anyone have a decent base tune for a 5.3L with a 224/224 cam? Here are my specs:

5.3L LM4
    - TSP 224/224 .581/.581 LSA114
    - LS1 intake/injectors (28#)/injector rail/MAF/MAP
    - Longtube headers
    - Manual transmission
    - 2004 GTO ECU with drive by cable

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Alright, since no one is willing to at least point me in the right direction, here is what I currently have running the car:

Issues:
    - On cold start, the engine jumps to 2000RPM and stays there until it idles down
    - Midrange power seems to be reduced
    - DFCO works randomly in different gears. I can downshift after DFCO on in 5th, only to get nothing in 4th.

One thing to note is that there is no knock currently present. I'll get a fresh datalog here soon to throw on here as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Alright. I gave in and started with a stock GTO tune along with a slightly stronger spark map. Went out with the wideband and I was pulling 11:1AFR at idle. Oy. The WOT pull fuel seemed to be right on 13:1ish though. Any recommendations towards an AFR for power with this setup? All cells are now 14.7ish including idle and power enrichment looks spot on and now my fuel gauge doesn't go down as fast.

I was able to take out the 2000RPM hang by zero'ing out the throttle cracker table around 1600RPM, yet it still hangs around 1400RPM, though it's better than 2000RPM. This is all during rolling, and it takes a few seconds to drop back down to idle. If anyone has a direction they can point me, it would be great at this point. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by robstah; 08-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Tuning base running airflow will probably get rid of most of the hanging idle.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "cam only"
    228/232 110 cam, 10° overlap @.050" lift
    Edelbrock stepped headers, ORY, hooker catback

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by david_viny View Post
    Tuning base running airflow will probably get rid of most of the hanging idle.
    Dead on, David. Thanks for the advice.

I ended up tuning the RAF after the VE table was dialed in, and everything came together and driving the car is SO much easier. It wasn't much fun having to switch to the MAF and repeat the process though. You could definitely tell how weak the MAF can be at lower RPM low load areas, though the AFR error tuning cleaned it all right up. The car feels like factory now, which is awesome. I'm real surprised at how quick I was able to dial everything in with this setup. First time using the NGK, and it worked out great.