Thread: how do i lock the tunes i do so no one can see them

Tuner

how do i lock the tunes i do so no one can see them

as the tittle says i want to lock my vehicles i just want to know how to do that

Tuner
    do i just tunerlock it ? please help someone

yes
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

But I dont see the point.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    i just wanted to know bro thank you alot

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    For super duper secret stuff, likely includes unicorns and rainbows.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    If you can't figure out how to use tunerlock...I question if you can even write a tune worth locking. I'm not trying to be rude...but why bother? All it will do is make it more expensive/difficult for someone else to tune that vehicle at some point in the future. Unless you're flashing the exact same tune into every vehicle and charging a buttload for it, like the LT1 guys used to do 5-10 years ago (and probably still do)...
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    If you can't figure out how to use tunerlock...I question if you can even write a tune worth locking. I'm not trying to be rude...but why bother? All it will do is make it more expensive/difficult for someone else to tune that vehicle at some point in the future. Unless you're flashing the exact same tune into every vehicle and charging a buttload for it, like the LT1 guys used to do 5-10 years ago (and probably still do)...
    i dont want them to see my stuff period.

Bro

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Bro
    Too funny ! Social decorum has slid a long way from that which used to be appropriate / acceptable ...

Tuner in Training
    Bro
    Bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Too funny ! Social decorum has slid a long way from that which used to be appropriate / acceptable ...
    Somebody is going to be googling your sentence lol
    I haven't made a million post's so im not a super tooner

'20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

^Wow, that was good.^
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EL SRG View Post
    i dont want them to see my stuff period.
    So if someone with a carb and a distributor asks you to tune their car...when you're done will you take the pointer off the front of the engine and file the timing mark off the balancer, and then drill out the tips of the screws holding the bowls on the carb so they can't get in and see what size jets are in there?

Come on dude...I am not trying to say you can't tune, maybe you're great at it, but the ONLY people I see trying to lock their tunes and hide "their stuff" are the ones who are insecure about knowing how to tune a car, and worried about dealing with criticism from their peers.

Tuner locking used to be a big deal 10-15 or more years ago when LT1 guys had COUNTLESS cars from the forums coming to them with the EXACT same mod lists...1994-1996 LT1 B-Body with an F-Body MAF, an OTR intake, tri-y headers, high flow cats, 2.5" catback, 3.73 gears and a 2400-2600 stall with a trans-go shift kit, and then LT1 F-Body's with almost the same mod lists...and there were less than a handful of mail order tuners competing for all the business tuning those vehicles around the entire country...nowadays...you're not competing like that anymore, the software to do it is much more common, there are shops all over the country with the software, the knowhow, the sensors and the dyno's necessary to do it, and the help from people to learn how to use it and make things run nicely is much more prevalent, and by locking the computer, all you're doing is crippling your customer.

I hope you tell them "before I take your money, I want you to know, I'm going to lock you and everyone else out of your computer"...what if they're not happy with a single shift point, or if they make a minor change to their setup, or they don't like a fan on/off temp setting??? Do you really want to be "That guy" that locked them out of their computer, so that when they think of you they get a bad taste in their mouth? What if your idea of how a car should shift at part throttle is different than theirs? What if they want to see if their car is commanding fuel and spark that they would consider safe/correct/reasonable? What if they want to go to the track and pour race gas in and throw more timing/less fuel at it for 3 hours while they're there, but then put it back when they leave to drive it home on pump gas? What if they add a small nitrous system for the track and just want to take 3-5 degrees of spark out of it while they're there, but then put it back in when they drive home with an empty disconnected bottle?
    Last edited by MikeOD; 08-16-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    So if someone with a carb and a distributor asks you to tune their car...when you're done will you take the pointer off the front of the engine and file the timing mark off the balancer, and then drill out the tips of the screws holding the bowls on the carb so they can't get in and see what size jets are in there?

Come on dude...I am not trying to say you can't tune, maybe you're great at it, but the ONLY people I see trying to lock their tunes and hide "their stuff" are the ones who are insecure about knowing how to tune a car, and worried about dealing with criticism from their peers.

Tuner locking used to be a big deal 10-15 or more years ago when LT1 guys had COUNTLESS cars from the forums coming to them with the EXACT same mod lists...1994-1996 LT1 B-Body with an F-Body MAF, an OTR intake, tri-y headers, high flow cats, 2.5" catback, 3.73 gears and a 2400-2600 stall with a trans-go shift kit, and then LT1 F-Body's with almost the same mod lists...and there were less than a handful of mail order tuners competing for all the business tuning those vehicles around the entire country...nowadays...you're not competing like that anymore, the software to do it is much more common, there are shops all over the country with the software, the knowhow, the sensors and the dyno's necessary to do it, and the help from people to learn how to use it and make things run nicely is much more prevalent, and by locking the computer, all you're doing is crippling your customer.

I hope you tell them "before I take your money, I want you to know, I'm going to lock you and everyone else out of your computer"...what if they're not happy with a single shift point, or if they make a minor change to their setup, or they don't like a fan on/off temp setting??? Do you really want to be "That guy" that locked them out of their computer, so that when they think of you they get a bad taste in their mouth? What if your idea of how a car should shift at part throttle is different than theirs? What if they want to see if their car is commanding fuel and spark that they would consider safe/correct/reasonable? What if they want to go to the track and pour race gas in and throw more timing/less fuel at it for 3 hours while they're there, but then put it back when they leave to drive it home on pump gas? What if they add a small nitrous system for the track and just want to take 3-5 degrees of spark out of it while they're there, but then put it back in when they drive home with an empty disconnected bottle?
    This may be easier for my valley brethren :

AsÃ* que si alguien con un carburador y un distribuidor le pide que sintonizar su coche ... cuando termines vas a llevar el puntero de la parte delantera del motor y presentar la marca de sincronización de la equilibradora, y luego perforar la punta de los tornillos que sostienen los tazones en el carburador para que no puedan entrar y ver lo que los jets de tamaño están ahÃ*?

Vamos, amigo ... yo no estoy tratando de decir que no se puede ajustar, tal vez usted es grande en él, pero las únicas personas que veo tratando de bloquear sus canciones y ocultar "sus cosas" son los que están inseguros acerca de saber cómo afinar un coche, y preocupado por hacer frente a las crÃ*ticas de sus compañeros.

Bloqueo Tuner solÃ*a ser un gran problema hace 10 a 15 años o más cuando LT1 chicos tenÃ*an coches INCONTABLES de los foros próximos a ellos con las mismas listas mod EXACTAS ... 1994-1996 LT1 B-cuerpo con un MAF F-Body, una ingesta de OTR, tri-y encabezados, gatos de flujo alto, 2.5 ", 3.73 Catback engranajes y una parada 2400-2600 con un kit de cambio de trans-go, y luego LT1 F-Body'S con casi las mismas listas de mod ... y allÃ* tenÃ*an menos de un puñado de orden sintonizadores correo competencia en toda la obra afinar esos vehÃ*culos en todo el paÃ*s entero ... hoy ... usted no está compitiendo asÃ* nunca más, el software para hacerlo es mucho más común, hay tiendas en todo el paÃ*s con el software, los conocimientos técnicos, los sensores y del necesario hacerlo dyno, y la ayuda de la gente para aprender a usarlo y hacer que las cosas funcionen bien es mucho más frecuente, y por el bloqueo de la computadora, todo lo que estamos haciendo es paralizar su cliente.

Espero que usted les diga "antes de tomar su dinero, quiero que sepas que voy a encerrarte y todos los demás de su equipo" ... ¿y si no están contentos con un solo punto de cambio, o si hacen un pequeño cambio en su configuración, o que no les gusta un ventilador / desactivar el ajuste temp??? ¿De verdad quiere ser "ese tipo" que les cerró la puerta de su ordenador, de modo que cuando piensan que consiguen un mal sabor en la boca? ¿Y si su idea de cómo un coche debe cambiar a medio gas es diferente que la de ellos? ¿Y si ellos quieren ver si su coche es el combustible dominante y la chispa que considerarÃ*an seguro / correcta / razonable? ¿Y si quieren ir a la pista y se vierte gas carrera y echar más tiempo / menos combustible en él durante 3 horas mientras están allÃ*, pero luego volverlo a poner cuando salen de conducir a casa de la bomba de gas? Lo que si agregan un pequeño sistema nitroso de la pista y sólo quieren tomar de 3-5 grados de echar chispas a través de ella mientras están allÃ*, pero luego lo puso de nuevo en cuando conducen a casa con una botella de vacÃ*o desconectada?
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

i under stand the above comments, but im my area i have some tooners that will just steal youre tune and resell to other people. one of them i dont think even know how to change the speed limiter in an ls1
    97 k2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80/4x4 0411 pcm,thorley tri-y's,true duals(no cats),msd ign.,zz4 cam, tuned with efi live

I've been known to lock files for various reasons. I can count on one hand how many I've locked out of hundreds.

I'm leaning towards covering the pigeon toes tracks as the reason for locking here based on previous posts.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tokymon View Post
    i under stand the above comments, but im my area i have some tooners that will just steal youre tune and resell to other people. one of them i dont think even know how to change the speed limiter in an ls1

I've been known to lock files for various reasons. I can count on one hand how many I've locked out of hundreds.

I'm leaning towards covering the pigeon toes tracks as the reason for locking here based on previous posts.
    Agree, I have had some that I have a lot of time invested in sorting out drivability issues and other things and I don't feel like helping some people fast track and undercut me, but by and large, I never do. I think you are right in this case.
    Jaime

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Agree, I have had some that I have a lot of time invested in sorting out drivability issues and other things and I don't feel like helping some people fast track and undercut me, but by and large, I never do. I think you are right in this case.
    I put a TON of effort into a friends car that has a giant cam...it was very very difficult to make it drive nice...but in the end, we made it drive REALLY REALLY nice 99% of the time...all I did there was ask him not to let other people see what we did...it's his car, it's his PCM...and it was my work...but it's still not my car. I locked my own car by accident once (my old LS1 car) when I first bought HPTuners...wasn't a big deal, but I did make sure I unlocked it when I sold it...
    2023 Durango Hellcat