Thread: LNF - Idle Calibration

Advanced Tuner

LNF - Idle Calibration

Howdy gents,

Been fooling around with trying to smooth out the idle on my car today. Went through as many threads as I could and here's what I've gathered:

• Work the DAL table in the idle areas - Lower in my case - 1% at 10%, 3% at 20%, 3% at 25%, 2.5% at 30% and smoothed into 40% with .3-.5%
    • Work the timing tables - All 4 are the same in my case, and I've slightly lowered/smoothed them in the required idle loads/RPM
    • Work the Optimum timing tables - I've added an additional 6 degrees in the 20% load area and 7 in the 30% load area

So far, with the A/C off - my timing will oscillate back and forth between 9.50 and 12.50-13.00, ETC% sits between 1 and 2% with an airload 14-16%. It's relatively smooth but I can still feel and hear a slight "bounce" for a lack of a better term. Vast improvement but still needs work, obviously

As soon as I turn the A/C on, I get an airload spike, timing droops and the ETC opens up to 9-13%. Timing greatly oscillates and jumps from 6.50 all the way up to 16.50 at times. Airload jumps to 33-38% and is definitely NOT smooth

Log attached. Fuel trims are usually even better but we're in monsoon season, so it's a bit humid and of course hot. Best idle sample comes at frame 9975, near the end of the log.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated for those who've had some success with what I'm after. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Tuner
    I have my idle fairly decent.. cat delete warmup cycle OFF Not quite perfect I don't think, but it's damn close. I have totally reworked virtually every table (not quite but ya) on my car. Everything is smoothed and ramped nicely and the car is the smoothest it's ever been since I had this ported head and cams installed.. Finally! Vince had stutters and jerky throttle which drove me crazy.. a few months after learning HpT Thx to CSSOB, I have my baby purring like a kitten under light throttle/idle, and roaring like a lion at WoT

Tuner
    Latest tune log to Work 7am.hplLNF.cfg

Here's my log of a Cold startup with Cat warmup disabled, and my LNF config which I noticed you weren't scanning as many paramters as I normally do.
    Your log looks good, but your car's already warm.. I did notice that your Cmd Lambda was quite high sometimes with little to no throttle, not sure why you have it that way, but I kinda wonder; maybe that's how you're ridding yourself of false knock lol.. whatever works I guess. I'm kinda new to this stuff myself, but CSSOB has shown me a lot; and digging through GMTech's articles helped as well; although the optimum tables I did completely upon my own idea, with the exception of the idle.. tried to keep it close to what John was saying; although I don't have the 20ยบ of timing that he says he has lol.. that part confused me, but it works for me how I have it now :P
    My tune is setup so that it makes lots of power, is very drivable and I've finally got the cold start down, or so it seems. My only problem is the false knock I get, usually at low rpms, light loads but I haven't redone my Maf Calibration yet either; I'm waiting until I can hit the track again to at least dial in the WoT areas. That's the most important imo anyways since that's when there's the most danger of doing damage to the engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for chiming in buddy. Looks like your fueling is off quite a bit and you're getting some gnarly timing droops. The KR you're experiencing looks to be from fuel mixture being pretty far off. Keep at it

By the way, the 1.04/1.99 lambda you're seeing is DFCO.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    best to make a filter for the histogram that weeds out afr over 1.03 lambda. lean running conditions tend to jump around to 1.02-1.03 so putting a cap on it makes it so defco isnt considered into the average.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Now what if I don't have a Maf so my Maf base table won't do anything..? How do I smooth out my idle then?
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

maf curve isnt used its referenced off of on cell that is decided by the return signal value. if you disconnected it then it will be the value of hz associated with 0v return signal.
    because this value is fixed the only table you use to adjust the trims is the maf base table. it will take the fixed value for 0vref and multiply it on a rpm X load axis giving a fairly good clarity.

highly recommended to only run maf-less if you have a broken maf sensor, working out kinks in a relocation system for atm bov, or have a motor swap where there wasn't sufficient room to install it or flat out left it out.
    dont ditch the maf because it was hard to tune with it, it helps in a lot of internal calculations and will provide a smoother more efficient tune if you learn to conquer it.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    maf curve isnt used its referenced off of on cell that is decided by the return signal value. if you disconnected it then it will be the value of hz associated with 0v return signal.
    because this value is fixed the only table you use to adjust the trims is the maf base table. it will take the fixed value for 0vref and multiply it on a rpm X load axis giving a fairly good clarity.

highly recommended to only run maf-less if you have a broken maf sensor, working out kinks in a relocation system for atm bov, or have a motor swap where there wasn't sufficient room to install it or flat out left it out.
    dont ditch the maf because it was hard to tune with it, it helps in a lot of internal calculations and will provide a smoother more efficient tune if you learn to conquer it.
    i have a vent to atmospher blow off valve and i ditched it because it runs smoother.. so if im mafless i should be adjusting the 0hz range?
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Tuner
    So my timing droops are basically my Maf cal being off then? I know it's off, but it seems the Ecm corrects quite a bit as it learns over time; It's such a tedious task lol... I'll get around to it (again) one of these days :P
    CSSOB, you mentioned putting a cap on AFR to 1.03.. how would one go about doing that? I thought once you set your DFCO to all 1's, it was taken out of the equation? /confused

no you leave the maf curve alone and only correct the maf base table.
    i explained why it works that way thats all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-05-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Tuner
    Ok Thx.. Added that filter and will do a base table next time I spend any time doing any variable driving. Working on getting my shifter fixed these days lol.. thought it was inside the guts but it may also be a roll pin since I have a lot of "slack" in gear; most noticeable in 2nd, but the Twm has helped a lot already, but something's not quite right yet, but at least it's better for now until we dig into the roll pin which is most likely the main culprit, or so I've read.