Thread: E38 desired throttle area

Advanced Tuner

E38 desired throttle area

okay guys under the e38 files, in engine>airflow>electronic throttle>desired throttle area there are several tables labeled map a through d.. inside there are tables which has tps percentage on the x axis and an unknown on the y axis.. can this be adjusted by lets say 15% to increase throttle response? I tuned a 08 silverado 5.3 and i couldn't get the truck to respond to my throttle, there was a lag time from the instant i depressed the throttle to the rpm increase. I disabled all the torque management, maxed out area rate limits and ETC limits tip in management ETC. everything you can think of, the last thing I have not touched is this table. Has anyone modified it? I have seen some guy named Chuck Cow?? that has messed with these tables to increase throttle response.. but there is a warning that says modifying such tables could fry the pcm..any help?

Tuner in Training
    Hopefully somebody chimes in, I've been wondering this same thing.

Advanced Tuner
    so many tuners here and no help? lol wow.

Senior Tuner
    I tweaked mine a little bit to make things feel smoother...but I didn't make 15% changes.

Are you sure what you're feeling as lack of throttle response isn't burst knock retard or torque management...or running on the low octane table?
    2010 Camaro SS M6. Stock Bottom End, Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Advanced Tuner
    chaka t2.hpt
    Take a look, my tune is attached. I believe i took care of all the torque management, the low octane table, and the burst knock tables. i think on the burst knock tables i have setup so it removes 1-2 degrees of timing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    I tweaked mine a little bit to make things feel smoother...but I didn't make 15% changes.

Are you sure what you're feeling as lack of throttle response isn't burst knock retard or torque management...or running on the low octane table?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Usually if you make changes to either the A/B throttle MAP you will enter in a reduced power mode.
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    Usually if you make changes to either the A/B throttle MAP you will enter in a reduced power mode.
    +1
    I haven't made a million post's so im not a super tooner

Senior Tuner
    I just looked in your tune...it looks like GM chose to map the throttle in the truck versus VSS rather than RPM like I'm used to in my own car. I don't really know what you can get away with there...you are still removing 1-2 degrees of burst knock...have you dialed in the MAF with a wideband? It could help to dial in the VE tune...stock the trucks really have almost no information in them for that...most of your virtual VE is filled with 0's (which is how GM shipped it)...the VE tune working well really helps throttle response even when the MAF is enabled.

It also however looks like at very high vehicle speed (higher than a 5.3 truck can go out of the gate for sure), the computer will tolerate a lot more throttle opening...what it will take at 160mph versus 15 is quite a bit more throttle at some angles...which tells me the TAC should let you get away with it...when you tried to go 15%, maybe you multiplied the entire curve? Looks like 38-44% on the pedal is double at the throttle body at higher MPH, 17% higher at 94% on the pedal...it looks like you might be able to get away with more at any vehicle speed, but just be cautious. Like I said, I have modified this table in my 2010 Camaro from stock to make it smoother and to give me a little more control at low throttle angle with the 102mm TB, and I don't go into REP mode, but my car uses RPM as an axis, not VSS...and what I've been able to do doesn't mean yours won't be upset about it.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 08-16-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    2005 Silverado RCSB. Forged 370 LQ9/Borg-Forced Inductions T6 S484/Jake's Stage 4 4L80E with D3 Brake/4WD.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Can we not set the axis from VSS to RPM in the trucks?

mikeOD, how did you go about changing your camaros throttle map without hitting reduced power mode? i have a 2011 and im trying to get a touchier low tps% area. Do you have a file i can look at to copy the table or tell me your calculation method? Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LEDbetter View Post
    Can we not set the axis from VSS to RPM in the trucks?
    I don't know, I'd be nervous changing the axis selection...it might not cause a problem, but I don't know that for sure.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266 View Post
    mikeOD, how did you go about changing your camaros throttle map without hitting reduced power mode? i have a 2011 and im trying to get a touchier low tps% area. Do you have a file i can look at to copy the table or tell me your calculation method? Thanks!
    I am tuning around a 102mm throttle body, so I'm not going to say "here use my numbers"...but I compared a bunch of drive by wire cars and found the vettes have a much smoother curve to begin with...I didn't like how the Camaro felt at half throttle and up...so first I copied in an LS3 Corvette throttle map...which is different from the 2010 SS by as much as ~18% in some spots. After that I just manually fudged the lower throttle angle values around a little bit to make the big throttle blade less touchy.

I've only put my car into REP once, and it was because the MAP/MAF correlation was way way off when the cam went in and the tune was a total mess...I've never put it into REP with the throttle tables.
    2023 Durango Hellcat

Mike - I retrofitted a 2013 Camaro LS3 into my truck. I used a 2004+ Corvette pedal instead of the factory Camaro pedal due to better fitment. Everything is working with the Camaro data, but I get a P0121 DTC when I go WOT. Should I change all of the parameters in the Camaro Electronic Pedal tab to match the Corvette E Pedal Tab? Thoughts? Thanks,

Rob
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

t...i started a thread on a similar subject and i achieved success

i will tell you that 15% is to much if you try to change that much you will trigger REP but they can be changed you can only change it a small amount tho
    Last edited by Jeffrey110; 03-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Im am telling you now be carful u have to change the reduce power table too or it will go into limp mode