Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LNF-LDK-LHU Compare

Advanced Tuner
    CSSOB, I would like to say I am a bit offended you do not have a quote of something I said on your signature. Hahaha.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    no
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    there really isnt much to update...it worked with my original computer just fine. everything was the same. that motor has long since been pushed over the edge and returned to the scrap heap it came from.
    What did you do to push it over the edge and I'm assuming destroy the engine if it went back to the scrap heap.

i ran the boost up to 25 psi...made a high timing dyno file we labeled "Hero" and forgot to take it back out on the street. it poofed about an hour down the road.
    346 hp/ 362 tq w/ full bolt on's (no engine mods though it was stock ldk)

Tuner
    Damn, so more than likely knock related? Assuming the high timing was intended for race fuel?

Side note like the tune name.

no i ran 91 pump but it was running fairly lean to make power and i ran the up until the computer would pull 1* of ignition out of the max load column. chances are the loading from dyno to street was different and the knock rate exceeded my calibrated max of 4* removable ignition. i blew a ring land off from overheating the cylinder and that was the end.
    the was a good motor, it directly replaces the lnf with a few internal upgrades to aid in quality control issues at gm. i put an lhu in it and ran that for 3 months before it let go due to a mechanical failure i never ended up completely diagnosing (it was a failure external to engine that was for sure). I sold the car before i finished figuring everything out again.
    thats the reason i have the sonic in my signature 8).

Tuner
    That make sense, bummer though.

If you didn't have the Datsun below the sonic i'd feel sorry for you

I'd feel bad for myself

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    I'd feel bad for myself
    do you have build/mod thread for the Datsun somewhere?

no not really...
    its going through some changes right now and the list of parts is always changing. i'll post something when i get closer to the end.

Tuner
    Bummer, I'll have to wait. Have a soft spot for the old Datsuns, it's on the list of project cars for a little later in life. Drop an LS7 or LS9 in

good chassis for torque testing

Advanced Tuner
    Question, can the LNF head be put on the LEA block? Is the LEA crank cast or forged? And are all ecotec bellhousing patterns the same?

I'm having naughty thoughts.

Tuner in Training
    I know this thread is old but I just did an LHU swap to my cobalt ss and have a couple more differences between engines to add.

1. the hole for the MAP sensor on the LHU intake manifold is slightly smaller than the LNF manifold. so, the thicker rubber O-ring that came with my 3 bar MAP sensor was not able to be used. also, the bolt hole for the MAP sensor was a couple mm closer to the hole the MAP sensor goes in. so I had to modify my 3 bar MAP sensor to work. to do this, I used a dremel tool which heat up the metal ring which then melted the plastic allowing the ring to slide closer to the MAP sensor.

2. the passenger side engine mount is different. to mount this into a cobalt the LNF engine mount must be used. also, make sure to use the cobalt bolt for the lower bolt hole. the LHU engine mount is thicker and uses a longer bolt.

3. I was able to keep the exhaust manifold on the engine that came with it. it was tight, but it worked.

4. the throttle body on the LHU has a different connector than the LNF throttle body.

5. the intake manifold MAP sensor has a different connector than the LNF MAP sensor.

6. the lines going down the timing cover side to the turbo are different on the LHU. the LNF lines are rubber with a metal section in the middle, then going back to rubber. the LHU lines are all rubber. there's also a thin metal bracket on the LHU engine that covers the valve cover bolt on the timing side of the engine. I had to remove this cover to install the bracket used for my K&N intake.

7. the LHU takes 6.3 quarts of oil and the LNF takes 5 quarts.

I also noticed the same GM part number used for both the LNF and LHU high pressure fuel pumps. I saw CSSOB post that there was a slight difference between them. any clarification on that would be great.
    02 ws6-nitrous,intake
    99 gsx,880 injectors,eboost 2,lc-1,evo9 fuel pump,hard pipes,self tuned,17psi
    09 cobalt ss- LHU swap w/LHU manifolds & injectors,intercooler & pipes,3" dp,K&N intake,3 bars,hp tuned-ish
    02 softail-se204 cams,intake,VH exhaust,carb rejet